JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Stock Rubi here. Totally fine.
Glad to hear that you made it back without additional problems. We're in Salida, CO tonight and heading to Lake City tomorrow. Did you run into much traffic on the Loop?

Later,
Johnny
Sponsored

OP
OP
Amaruq

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Glad to hear that you made it back without additional problems. We're in Salida, CO tonight and heading to Lake City tomorrow. Did you run into much traffic on the Loop?

Later,
Johnny
There were quite a lot of people out. I don’t have anything to compare it to, as it was my first time there. But tons of SxS’s, motorbikes, and caravans of all types of off-roaders. Lots of backing up (if you’re going downhill) and pulling over. But everyone was really considerate. The only time I felt alone was at Clear Lake and finishing Imogene after the summit late in the afternoon. There was no one else around on Imogene heading to Ouray at 5pm lol. My girlfriend was still unfamiliar with what a Jeep is capable of after Black Bear and some of the large rock gardens on Imogene. Bless her heart. She’s a trooper.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm going to piggy back off this thread, if that is okay...

The wife and I are looking at either doing Ouray or Moab next month. Looking at dates of 10-11 through 10/16.

We did Ouray last year a few weeks earlier. It sounds like its been pretty busy in Ouray. Also, the weather gets iffy by the 2nd week of october. Would Moab be a better choice if I've never been???

Also, if we do Moab, does anyone have any RV park recommendations??? We have a 16' airstream we would be pulling out. Some of the RV parks in moab seem to be fully booked but I'm also not sure which are good and which are bad.

Driving from Des Moines, Iowa. Both locations are almost exactly the same distance from me. Debating if we do something new this year.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be checking out Black Bear early October! The fiancé was on board to spot, until I showed her the drop off pictures! My bad.
Are you still planning on Ouray next month? Trying to decide if we go back to ouray this year or try moab. There are several trails in Ouray that we didn't do last year. Black Bear was one of them. I don't feel comfortable doing without a spotter. I also showed the wife some videos and she said "nope". haha.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link

The wife and I are looking at either doing Ouray or Moab next month. Looking at dates of 10-11 through 10/16.

We did Ouray last year a few weeks earlier. It sounds like its been pretty busy in Ouray. Also, the weather gets iffy by the 2nd week of october. Would Moab be a better choice if I've never been???

Also, if we do Moab, does anyone have any RV park recommendations??? We have a 16' airstream we would be pulling out. Some of the RV parks in moab seem to be fully booked but I'm also not sure which are good and which are bad.

Driving from Des Moines, Iowa. Both locations are almost exactly the same distance from me. Debating if we do something new this year.

Leaves are changing in Ouray now and the weather was great. I don't know how long that will last, but it was an awesome trip and the views are epic. My choice over Moab, though I still love Moab and will be getting there next month myself.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Are you still planning on Ouray next month? Trying to decide if we go back to ouray this year or try moab. There are several trails in Ouray that we didn't do last year. Black Bear was one of them. I don't feel comfortable doing without a spotter. I also showed the wife some videos and she said "nope". haha.
We didn't do Black Bear this time because we spent most of our time exploring the old mining towns. Great trail though and only a couple of sketchy spots so long as the shelf roads don't unnerve you. Last year the avalanche debris was still at that spot and the steps had us tip out toward the abyss. Unnerving and I was glad to have a spotter for sure. I think it's been cleaned up and is in much better shape now.

Highly recommended.

OP
OP
Amaruq

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd

From what I know, Ouray in October can be anyone’s guess. And there’s a large chance the passes will be closed by then.

join me in Moab the week of October 12. :)

OP
OP
Amaruq

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I did Black Bear without a spotter. If you have some experience and know the width of your Jeep - and where your tires are - you’ll be okay. I got out and scouted it and then just crawled down (while trying to ignore my girlfriend’s panic).

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
There were quite a lot of people out. I don’t have anything to compare it to, as it was my first time there. But tons of SxS’s, motorbikes, and caravans of all types of off-roaders. Lots of backing up (if you’re going downhill) and pulling over. But everyone was really considerate. The only time I felt alone was at Clear Lake and finishing Imogene after the summit late in the afternoon. There was no one else around on Imogene heading to Ouray at 5pm lol. My girlfriend was still unfamiliar with what a Jeep is capable of after Black Bear and some of the large rock gardens on Imogene. Bless her heart. She’s a trooper.
Thanks for the update. Got to Lake City late this afternoon. The place is crawling with SxS's and jeeps. Looking at the tags I don't think that anyone is left in Texas. Now you've got me nervous about Imogene. Mitchelle is definitely not a trooper. ;) There's no way that I'd take her on Black Bear but I was hoping that Imogene would be halfway OK.

Later,
Johnny

OP
OP
Amaruq

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Thanks for the update. Got to Lake City late this afternoon. The place is crawling with SxS's and jeeps. Looking at the tags I don't think that anyone is left in Texas. Now you've got me nervous about Imogene. Mitchelle is definitely not a trooper. ;) There's no way that I'd take her on Black Bear but I was hoping that Imogene would be halfway OK.

Later,
Johnny
Imogene is good to go, I would think. There were a few large boulder-like obstacles (in the forest-looking area near the Yankee Boy intersection) that were easy for the Jeep but she’d never seen what a Jeep could walk up.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Trail Damage; Just a few scratches running Top of The World, coming down the left side of the loop

Jeep Wrangler JL Moab - October? Ouray - September? KIMG0982.JPG

Bro it's good to see.... can't wait until may..... I will have to post pics of the Black Hills Jamboree..... it was no joke on the Black trails.....

DaveKight

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon / 2022 JLUR 4XE (On Order)
Occupation
Lawyer
Bro it's good to see.... can't wait until may..... I will have to post pics of the Black Hills Jamboree..... it was no joke on the Black trails.....
A number of us are leaving for Ouray this weekend. We will be doing the Ouray Badge of Honor trails Sunday (Imogene, Ophir, and Black Bear), then Moab the rest of the week, and then Ouray again next Saturday (Engineer and Poughkeepsie) as we head back East. If anyone wants to join in, PM me. Thanks.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't Wait. I'm already working on a plan for May. I might like to squeeze in a couple Colorado trails while out there.
Sponsored