• Total voters

Skip1024

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
Since I had my steering gear replaced I’ve taking it back to the dealer three time for off centered steering wheel, and pulling to the right. they keep doing a front end alignment for some reason. so I went to another dealing today and they’re going to look at it Wednesday. not happy yet only 2000 miles on it and its been in the shop multiple time since my purchase. I’m about ready to do a Florida lemon law on it very soon if its not correcte.
Sponsored

Howard crusoe

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jo rubicon
I have a 2020 Lj rubicon stock everything. It handles like a dream. in the uk it has 255-75-17 mud terrain tyres they work out at just over 32 inch. fuel consumption 26 miles per uk gallon without trying to hard to save fuel. I have been watching lots of you tube videos of all sort of mods to your jeep. Most are lift kits wheel mods all trying to convince you to part with money. But what they never tell you is most of these mods will wreck your beautiful jeep as a daily driver. Yes lift kits massive wheels are great off road but put it on the road and it will be dreadful. You also see these vids where they go rock crawling as it’s called. Rock crawling will kill any rubber bushing that you have in your jeep suspension standard or aftermarket in no time. I watched one vid about putting upgraded track rods as the standard may bend. great but all that load is going through the steering box and it will fail. The jeep rubicon is a fantastic on off road vehicle. But if you are going to rock crawl like these people do on you tube then you are going to have to live with the damage caused by doing so.

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
I have a 2020 Lj rubicon stock everything. It handles like a dream. in the uk it has 255-75-17 mud terrain tyres they work out at just over 32 inch. fuel consumption 26 miles per uk gallon without trying to hard to save fuel. I have been watching lots of you tube videos of all sort of mods to your jeep. Most are lift kits wheel mods all trying to convince you to part with money. But what they never tell you is most of these mods will wreck your beautiful jeep as a daily driver. Yes lift kits massive wheels are great off road but put it on the road and it will be dreadful. You also see these vids where they go rock crawling as it’s called. Rock crawling will kill any rubber bushing that you have in your jeep suspension standard or aftermarket in no time. I watched one vid about putting upgraded track rods as the standard may bend. great but all that load is going through the steering box and it will fail. The jeep rubicon is a fantastic on off road vehicle. But if you are going to rock crawl like these people do on you tube then you are going to have to live with the damage caused by doing so.
Uhhh... ok, well good for you I guess. If you have bothered to read, you would have seen that most of us had this issue from day one of ownership.

rdk5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep 392
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

My dealership ordered the new steering box and apparently they can only order 1 every 14 days lol But just glad I'm in queue to getting it fixed! I'll provide an update after its installed.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
This loose steering issue has nothing to do with worn service items or damage due to off roading. These vehicles were built for rock crawling, off roading, etc and replacing bushings and ball joints is normal. The symptoms of those worn service items are different than the steering box flex causing loose steering. The new steel gear box flexes much less than the aluminum one and is far less susceptible to heat-related expansion.

Also just in general, in America we've got many experienced companies with a knack for building Jeeps and Jeep parts and we've got trails that would demolish a stock JL. A properly built jeep will perform better on the rocks and can even feel better than a stock configuration on the road. I would imagine there is less of a reason to build too far beyond stock in the UK, but over here we've got, as you see on YouTube, hundreds and hundreds of legendarily difficult trails cut for Jeeps.

Sponsored

littlejd

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2013 F-150
I just got mine done yesterday. I got super lucky, someone ordered the new steering box and never claimed it so the dealer had one sitting on the shelf. Dropped it off at 8:30, picked it up at 5 the same day. Anyway, the new steering box definitely improved the steering for me but not completely. I still have a pull to the left or right randomly (though way less than before).

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares

Tried getting a dealership to take a look at mine. None of the dealerships around Denver ever answer their phones and the web service appointment request systems have no options for custom services (or any option other than oil/filter change). I arrived in person today with the TSB in-hand and was told it’d require a tech to first diagnose, reasonably so, but the catch is if they diagnose it and it’s not an issue they would charge me a fee-ridiculous! They also said they had no availabilities and I’m already within 100 miles of breaking 36k. Great!
@gridsquares - Please send us a private message. We would be happy to have a case escalated while your Jeep in service at your local dealer.

I have a 2018 Rubicon the steering wheel has about an inch of play. Would this TSB help with this? Any luck for anyone that has over 36k miles getting it down by the dealership.?
@eder214 - We do recommend having your dealer perform this TSB to remedy your concerns. Let us know if you would like additional support via PMs.

I have an aftermarket spacer lift, track bar, and sway bar links + 35s. Do you think I will get some love on this TSB with my dealer?
@Bandana - If you would like assistance before visiting your dealer, please let us know.

Since I had my steering gear replaced I’ve taking it back to the dealer three time for off centered steering wheel, and pulling to the right. they keep doing a front end alignment for some reason. so I went to another dealing today and they’re going to look at it Wednesday. not happy yet only 2000 miles on it and its been in the shop multiple time since my purchase. I’m about ready to do a Florida lemon law on it very soon if its not correcte.
@Skip1024 - We're terribly sorry to hear about this experience. Do you currently have a case open with Jeep Customer Care? If not, please send us a DM.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Skip1024

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
@gridsquares - Please send us a private message. We would be happy to have a case escalated while your Jeep in service at your local dealer.

@eder214 - We do recommend having your dealer perform this TSB to remedy your concerns. Let us know if you would like additional support via PMs.

@Bandana - If you would like assistance before visiting your dealer, please let us know.

@Skip1024 - We're terribly sorry to hear about this experience. Do you currently have a case open with Jeep Customer Care? If not, please send us a DM.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
yes I have a case open, Just took it to another dealer tonight for one last time to fox it. if that doesn’t work ?

Howard crusoe

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jo rubicon
Uhhh... ok, well good for you I guess. If you have bothered to read, you would have seen that most of us had this issue from day one of ownership.
Yes I confess I didn’t read every word on every comment. But I probably don’t have the time to like some people. There is a comment at the beginning of this thread that said the same as I have. But that met with less hostility. In the UK we have a thing called an mot test. This is performed after three years then subsequently every year after. This is performed so everyone drives a road worthy vehicle. You would be hard pushed to find a road car let alone a car that’s been used off road that didn’t need some work doing to it. Tracking, steering bushing, or wheel geometry adjustment at least.

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I'm getting the new box on Monday. I have an early build JLU and the steering never has been awful and improved when i went from the OEM sport tires to 33" cepeks. i think i've just gotten used to it but the steering wheel is always off center when trying to drive straight in one direction or the other depending on the crown of the road. the steering pump TSB definitely over-boosted the assist. hoping the new box doesn't move in the wrong direction but feel like i should go ahead and get it if it's out there. 2.5" lift also being installed later next week so don't want to get in a situation where the dealer claims it's the lift causing issues.
Update:
Impressions of the new steering box - got the Jeep back yesterday afternoon.
- dead spot and play in the wheel is now near non-existent
- steering is generally tighter and more responsive
- more feedback through the steering wheel - new box seems to transmit more of the road vibration up through the steering wheel
- haven't had a chance to really get it out on the interstate to see how it drives at speed, but the only negative so far is that it feels noticeably tighter when turning left as opposed to right
- also feels like the ratios are different as it seems that it takes more turn of the wheel to get the vehicle to turn if that makes sense

Dealership gave me a charger daytona to drive for 2 days while they applied the TSB so i had the wife also drive the Jeep to confirm my impressions - the steering in the daytona was a bit different

anyone notice more tightness on one side then the other or a possible ratio change?

Sponsored

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
Yes I confess I didn’t read every word on every comment. But I probably don’t have the time to like some people. There is a comment at the beginning of this thread that said the same as I have. But that met with less hostility. In the UK we have a thing called an mot test. This is performed after three years then subsequently every year after. This is performed so everyone drives a road worthy vehicle. You would be hard pushed to find a road car let alone a car that’s been used off road that didn’t need some work doing to it. Tracking, steering bushing, or wheel geometry adjustment at least.
Bro, you have to understand that when you come on here with your snobbery know it all attitude with only 3 post and less that a year of ownership, your going to get hostility. Many guys on here have probably owned a jeep longer than you have been alive!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
yes I have a case open, Just took it to another dealer tonight for one last time to fox it. if that doesn’t work ?
Your case manager is in the best position to assist. However, please feel free to keep us updated via PM.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Howard crusoe

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jo rubicon
Bro, you have to understand that when you come on here with your snobbery know it all attitude with only 3 post and less that a year of ownership, your going to get hostility. Many guys on here have probably owned a jeep longer than you have been alive!
I don’t think I’ve ever been called a snob before. So why are you full of piss and importance sunny

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
just got mine updated to the new box. What a difference. Its a new driving experience.
My dealer was awesome. After my complaint of wandering steering and my concern about an upcoming road trip, the dealership got the new box in a week and installed in a day.

couldn't be happier with the new set up.

maas

First Name
Mariano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018
Got the new steering box in 2 days ago, Jeep feels amazing now! My steering wasn't too bad to begin with, but definitely a great improvement. Still got a bit of a dead spot in the middle, but nothing major and it is smaller than before (I think). My Jeep no longer veers to a side, and the steering is overall tighter and more responsive.
Experience with the dealership was good too. I called them a couple of weeks ago, they ordered the parts immediately over the phone (didn't have to bring it in for testing).

Very happy with the new steering gear!
Sponsored