Sponsored

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
Torqued mine to 90, won't do any further adjustments until someone can verify what it truly is. If 99 was spec w/ the aluminum box I assume 90 should be fine for cast iron (if not higher).
This is why I was trying to find the spec for it. The old one may be 99, but it also had bolts that went all the way trough and fastened down with nuts.
The bolts on the new one thread into the box without nuts on the end.
Guess we need the specs for 2021 JK or Gladiator.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Got my assessment done today.

I'll be getting it replaced as soon as the one time use bolt comes in.

I didn't really feel a problem, but figured if i could get it done all the better.

It'll be under warranty.

On the post-service sheet, it says, roughly, "customer says vehicle wanders. Test drive and felt nothing. Inspected components, no issue found. Checked TSB, ordered parts."

Peterson's in Nampa coming through again!

20200920_124435.jpg
Bought my Jeep from Peterson a bit over a year ago due to their 8% below invoice deal and it was the best buying experience I have had with a dealership. Good to see their service matches their sales experience.

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
Picked up jeep today after they replaced damper and drag link and steering feels the same. Slight wandering at highway speeds. Will take it back tomorrow.
That's what my dealer did with me. I took it in for the box TSB and they said they wanted to replace the trackbar and right control arm first. Surprise . . surprise, no change to the dead spot. Back the dealer to hopefully get on the list for the box.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
When I dropped mine off, I mentioned to the service advisor that the steering wheel play seemed to get worse as the vehicle warmed up, and much worse after about an hour of driving. They fixed it right away. I guess they figured they'd rather pay the mechanic an hour of labor to replace the steering box, than for an hour long test drive.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I recently went from 35's to 37's and noticed a reasonable amount of side to side shimmy at highway speeds above 65-70 which was non-existent prior to swapping rubber. Not "death wobble" but not anything I want to have to deal with. It may have nothing whatsoever to do with the TSB or steering box however it does consistently pull to one side while driving and did that almost right from the showroom floor (as did my 2015 JK for over 5 years that I owned it).
I made the appointment today for the TSB with my local Jeep dealer. We'll see if it yields anything. I'm planning on replacing all the steering components anyway with Synergy bits but I may as well take advantage of this first.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Torqued mine to 90, won't do any further adjustments until someone can verify what it truly is. If 99 was spec w/ the aluminum box I assume 90 should be fine for cast iron (if not higher).
Brad - I DM’d redrockjk and asked what the spec would be for new box. The response was 44 ft lbs plus 135 degrees. My question is how do you verify if properly torqued with ft lbs + degrees. I have no idea :facepalm:

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
Got my steering box replaced today. Massive difference so far although I need to make some highway drives. It wanders less, doesn't act up as much when the road pitch changes. It has a solid bit of steering weight similar to a jk. Might be a hair loose still but basically it is proper truck steering. A must have fix for sure.

Hardybreed

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Brought mine in today. Wanted to replace the drag link first. I said to not waste my time, because that wouldn’t fix the loose steering. Said they would order the gear box and replace the drag link. I guess we’ll see how long it take to get the gear box in, because he said it could be two months or two weeks.

Coolbaldguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Picked mine up today....they put an AE BOX ON IT!!! I picked it up at closing time today, so there wasn't any service personal to talk with. I will call them tomorrow and get the right box ordered.... wish them (not me) luck. They will need it!!

20200922_211256.jpg

Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Picked mine up today....they put an AE BOX ON IT!!! I picked it up at closing time today, so there wasn't any service personal to talk with. I will call them tomorrow and get the right box ordered.... wish them (not me) luck. They will need it!
The AE reference had me scratching my head. Like maybe the only difference in the part numbers was the AE vs AA. But no, that doesn't appear to be even close to the right part number. Good Luck! (too them). ;)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Brad - I DM’d redrockjk and asked what the spec would be for new box. The response was 44 ft lbs plus 135 degrees. My question is how do you verify if properly torqued with ft lbs + degrees. I have no idea :facepalm:
Have to loosen the bolt(s) then retorque them to 44 ft lbs (I would do all four to 44 ft lbs first) then use a breaker bar to rotate 135 degrees for bottom left corner bolt, go to upper right and do the same, then bottom right, then upper left to keep torque rather evenly applied.

I think my tech probably just torqued to 44 and stopped, that seems to be about what mine were when I picked it up. I torqued them to 90 and I'm guessing that will be close to 44 +135 degrees but???

Guess I'll have some work to do tomorrow, thanks for the info!

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
There are gauges that can be used to set torque by a certain degree. However, 135 is an easy one.
If the breaker bar or torque wrench is pointing straight down, tighten another 90 degrees (from 6 o’clock to 9 o’clock). Then tighten another 45 degrees, half the distance from 9 to 12 (let’s just call it 1030).

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
There are gauges that can be used to set torque by a certain degree. However, 135 is an easy one.
If the breaker bar or torque wrench is pointing straight down, tighten another 90 degrees (from 6 o’clock to 9 o’clock). Then tighten another 45 degrees, half the distance from 9 to 12 (let’s just call it 1030).
Thanks Jason. I agree totally with that approach.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Picked mine up today....they put an AE BOX ON IT!!! I picked it up at closing time today, so there wasn't any service personal to talk with. I will call them tomorrow and get the right box ordered.... wish them (not me) luck. They will need it!!

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20200922_211256
I'm behind, what's the deal with the AE vs AA?
Sponsored