First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
first post, first question.

i'll be having a Diesel Wrangler built for on & off pavement use, and am pondering the LED Lighting option.

would be curious to hear the experienced opinions as to whether or not they're worth it, if there are any problems with them, etc.
YES...mine are incredibly bright.
Sponsored

FWA05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting on my Rubicon
I did not have the LEDs on my 2020 build by mistake. After going on a 4300 mile road trip, I immediately ordered the LED headlights and had them installed by the dealer. There is a huge difference and i really wish I would have not screwed up my order, since the headlights are LED and my fender lights are regular.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
totally worth it, plus if you get it from the factory the fogs and rear lights are all LED as well.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
"Worth it" is subjective. I do think they look amazing on a Jeep. I also agree they're incredibly bright. However the stock lights are more than adequate(unlike the JKs) and don't cost an additional $1000. LEDs are way too common on the road today and are a growing issue. If you live in Berkely, CA I would say they're not worth it. I live in the NYC tristate area and LEDs out here just blind people at night time.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Here in Oklahoma, factory LED all the way and then add a light bar with side shooters just to make sure you see that deer thinking about using your grill for a lobotomy........

Sponsored

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
You realize how good the led lights are, when you install some conventional 100 watt daylighters and your high beams over power them.

PS when adding after market lights, don't buy conventional daylighters, save up for the LEDS.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I see lots of votes for LED, but how many have driven both?
I have the standard lights and they are excellent. I will admit that previous generations were not very good, but I have no complaints about the JL. I get people flashing their high beams at me still, honestly they are great.
My JL was delivered with halogens, drove about the first 2K with them, then swapped some Headlight Revolution S.v4 bulbs. Huge difference in light output. To be fair, the halogens are ok, and as others have said, if you're mostly urban they could be fine depending on how good your night vision is. I live "nature adjacent" and we literally have deer on our neighborhood streets. The older I get, the worse my night vision gets so I want any advantage I can get, particularly against wildlife strikes. I also swapped LEDs into the fog lights and turn signals (which transforms them to DRLs). I only switch the fog lights on with in fog (which we get a lot of), or if I'm making a 90 degree turn and there is little/no ambient light - like our neighborhood.

One feature I miss is the side headlights on the GTI - they first up when you're making a turn. I didn't like the tracking headlights on BMW though so go figure. I did have to adjust the headlights down after swapping, but part of that is the halogens were adjusted fairly high to give them more throw down the road. I rarely get flashed these days. [insert witty rejoinder here]

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I think the LED package was about $800 or so when I ordered my Jeep. I skipped it. Then when I saw how dim/yellow the halogens were, I bought replacement LED bulbs...not the entire headlamp, just the bulb. I watched a few YouTube videos and was able to change them myself (I'm only semi-mechanical). I think they cost something like $50 for the pair? I still have halogen fog lights, brake lights and indicators. But the LED bulbs made a huge difference. LED replacement bulbs were way cheaper. If I could go back, I would have gotten the LED package. But what I got ain't bad...and saved a bundle.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
You're lucky. I've had the snow pack up in front of the headlights and fog lights a number of times. It really becomes an issue at night. That's why I added cheap insurance with the Hellas. If you look through the threads on LEDs, I'm not the only one that experienced this and the "Light speed effect". Our new trucks at the firehouse have LED headlights now, but they come with heaters built-in.
Interesting. I have read the stories, I just have not experienced it. I completely clean off my Jeep every time there is snow, including the headlights. I haven't had issues with icing over- I would regularly have that with the Halogens on my old TJ's in particularly nasty snowstorms because it would heat the snow/ice around the light bezels, then freeze over, and repeat. It's why I stopped running those stupid safari light protectors- they just made that worse.

JLEdCeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JL Willys
A must have in my opinion. I got leds in my JL via Willys package. Jeep screw this package in the new Willys Gladiator by not included the leds in the Willys package. They included the technology package instead of leds.

Sponsored

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
Literally wouldn't buy a Wrangler without the LED option for the headlights. The base ones are JUNK. My $0.02, FCA should have included these by default and there should be no lighting option. I drove one without it and it literally feels like a safety issue. My $0.02.
Have to agree 110%. The LEDs should be standard. If you’re dishing out the $$ for the diesel then spend the extra money and get the LEDs. You won’t regret it.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Interesting. I have read the stories, I just have not experienced it. I completely clean off my Jeep every time there is snow, including the headlights. I haven't had issues with icing over- I would regularly have that with the Halogens on my old TJ's in particularly nasty snowstorms because it would heat the snow/ice around the light bezels, then freeze over, and repeat. It's why I stopped running those stupid safari light protectors- they just made that worse.
Absolutely love the LEDs but they’re useless in the snow. I timed it last winter and you get about 4 minutes of driving time before they’re completely covered. When you’re driving on a slushy highway, it’s even worse. In Maryland we only get one good snow a year, so it’s not a huge deal.

By far the best factory headlights I’ve had. And I’ve never been flashed. Ever.

Jeep Wrangler JL LED Light option; worth it? 93C9561D-68EA-41E4-AEB7-4A7C7106D1B3
Jeep Wrangler JL LED Light option; worth it? 028DEC76-C115-4412-8788-2D88815419D2
Jeep Wrangler JL LED Light option; worth it? F15060AE-CD76-4AEB-AA7E-41C5A0B335EC
Sponsored