First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
It's to get rid of confusion when the full hybrid launches.

The types of folks who want hybrid and will pay a premium are limited, so the sales volume of a mild hybrid version when a full hybrid is released is about zero.

Plus the 48V hybrid batteries are expensive and a warranty liability.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I very much like the 2.0l BSG in my Recon. That said I am sure the technology is expensive and the tangible MPG gains are small. Warranty exposure might be another cost factor... Looking at the forums, problems have been fairly muted.

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
I guess I can understand some battery pack concerns for added possibility of failure due to something on a trail while off-roading, but i can't say anything bad about my 2.0T eTorque powertrain.
2019 JLUS with over 18k miles and no issues. This thing surprised me right out of the lot by how relatively quick it feels. The etorque must make a difference off the line since it feels like the turbo is pushing right off idle. My mileage ranges from over 21 around the city on short trips to 26 cruising back roads...all on 87 octane.
I love driving a Wrangler! I may try the 4xe PHEV next for a comparison!

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Indeed. It was ditched from the 2.0T.

Is FCA still offering eTorque on Ram pickups? The online reviews weren't all that good.
Yes, eTorque is standard on the 3.6 and optional on the 5.7

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Remember the Caravans that got 4-banger turbos in the '80's?

That didn't last long and those became the odd ducklings pretty quickly as a result. Just sayin'....

Fortunately there's no history of that in other Jeep products, though....like the XJ's (2.8 GM-sourced V6 *cough cough*) or the YJ's (Peugeot transmission *cough cough*)....

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

That didn't last long and those became the odd ducklings pretty quickly as a result. Just sayin'....

Fortunately there's no history of that in other Jeep products, though....like the XJ's (2.8 GM-sourced V6 *cough cough*) or the YJ's (Peugeot transmission *cough cough*)....
Just justification for a Hemi swap if that happens ;)

For now I enjoy the drastically increased performance and better economy of the 2.0L over the anemic 3.6L.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
The vast majority of the market probably won't make their decision based on the "benefits" of eTorque; smoother stop-start, punchy off the line, slightly better fuel around town when driving like Grandma.

So cheaper and easier to mass produce more 4cyls and lighter. Better for FCA bottom line and CAFE......

Also, not sure if this has changed but in 2019-2020 the eTorque 2.0's were coming from Italy while the non eTorque were from the states. Covid-19 might have jacked this up and they needed to make sure they could offer enough 2.0's to meet fleet requirements.

So they simply make one "premium" engine and it kinda makes sense since the 6cyl is smoother and more quiet than the 4cyl for that market segment.

I love my 4cy eTorque.....sucks to loose a nice option on both engines.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

That was literally 30 years ago, and only offered for two model years. eTorque and the GME 2.0 have already been around longer than that engine.

Sponsored

Graydd

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That is too bad as I really like my 2.0L Turbo eTorque. Like some others here I did not know I even had it when I bought it. Now that I have looked into what it is and how it works and even watched many videos on the subject, I am cool with it.

I am now running 35" x 12.5 X 17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers with a Mopar 2" lift. Right after I had Mopar update the computer. Love how this drive train works on my Jeep.

I still am averaging 17.8 MPG and I do most of my driving around town with probably a heavier than normal foot. This thing scoots and does great off road as well.

I only wish the 2dr had a larger fuel tank for greater range. Guess rotopax are in my future as well.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
They're saving all of the eTorque belt starter-generators for the PHEV. The 4xe will use the 2.0T eTorque in combination with the electric drive train.