Sponsored

What happened to Insane Audio's JL3001 head unit?

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
The upgraded climate control stack(not what is pictured) will give you a volume knob ...it will have to be activated with a tazer or jscan

It won't change your actual hvac functions though
Yeah im on another forum post speaking about it. I was hoping for plug and play to be a perfect free install. Im not looking to tazer anything and eventually hear i tampered with the car and thats why i have no warranty. I guess ill try it out and if it doesnt work ill put it on the back burners for now
Sponsored

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 F150
That's a bit paranoid...just unmarry it before you take it to a dealership and they won't have a clue...not that a good dealer would void a warranty for that..they (legally) can't deny coverage unless the problem is DIRECTLY connected to a modification

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I don’t think all music exported from iTunes has DRM embedded in it. Purchased music does; not sure if you ripped it from a CD or imported it from a torrent.
iTunes music store used to do DRM (m4p files), but purchases after a certain point are just regular m4a files with no DRM (but they have your account info embedded in them).

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
That's a bit paranoid...just unmarry it before you take it to a dealership and they won't have a clue...not that a good dealer would void a warranty for that..they (legally) can't deny coverage unless the problem is DIRECTLY connected to a modification
I used to work for a dealer. There getting hip to this. I used to deny warranty and there wasnt a thing you could tell me to change the out come. Not by choice but by job. Im a nice guy i swear. But that was for honda. Now my other question is tazer or flash?

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
iTunes music store used to do DRM (m4p files), but purchases after a certain point are just regular m4a files with no DRM (but they have your account info embedded in them).
Either way spotify and Amazon music is way better then apple music. I learned that lesson!

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Either way spotify and Amazon music is way better then apple music. I learned that lesson!
Just putting the clarification out there: Apple Music and the iTunes music store are 2 different things. Music store == you buy songs for $0.79-$1.29. Those are yours to keep forever. Apple music == You pay Apple $9.99 a month for something like spotify and amazon music.

The only real advantage to apple music is you can tell it to play things via siri a little bit easier than spotify. For spotify you have to say "Play x on spotify" whereas apple music you can just tell siri "play x"

I do agree though. Amazon music has lots of stuff that comes just with having the prime subscription. Spotify lets you control things from other things and works on just about anything!

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Just putting the clarification out there: Apple Music and the iTunes music store are 2 different things. Music store == you buy songs for $0.79-$1.29. Those are yours to keep forever. Apple music == You pay Apple $9.99 a month for something like spotify and amazon music.

The only real advantage to apple music is you can tell it to play things via siri a little bit easier than spotify. For spotify you have to say "Play x on spotify" whereas apple music you can just tell siri "play x"

I do agree though. Amazon music has lots of stuff that comes just with having the prime subscription. Spotify lets you control things from other things and works on just about anything!
Yeah. To each its own but even the guys at insane told me to use amazon or spotufy for the best clarity. Most likely prefrence but the guys building it reccomend it so i tried it out and my syatem sound a hell of a lot better instead of using anything apple

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 F150
I used to work for a dealer. There getting hip to this. I used to deny warranty and there wasnt a thing you could tell me to change the out come. Not by choice but by job. Im a nice guy i swear. But that was for honda. Now my other question is tazer or flash?
I've worked for quite a few dealers myself over the years(Ford and Jeep}. And still have friends that work at jeep dealers...maybe honda is overly strict I don't know.
At least with Jeep and Ford, warranty won't be denied if nothing interferes with repairs or causes the problem.
So unmarry the tazer(or what ever product) and it won't interfere with the dealer diagnostics

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Yeah. To each its own but even the guys at insane told me to use amazon or spotufy for the best clarity. Most likely prefrence but the guys building it reccomend it so i tried it out and my syatem sound a hell of a lot better instead of using anything apple
if you’re after the best sound/lossless streaming, use tidal. This isn’t preference — it’s just fact of the formats and bitrates they use for their premium service. It costs more, and I’m not sure if it’s worth it for car audio, but you absolutely can tell the difference on a good home system.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Spotify I agree, but Amazon in my experience is kinda not that great, and I'm talking about payed subscription, not free prime stuff. Apple music was pretty good too, but it was couple of years ago, not sure how it is now.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That doesn't make sense. Spotify uses a 256kbit/sec AAC stream. The really old m4p itunes files were 128kbps AACs but the non-DRM m4a files are 256kbps. Tidal does use flac encoding ("lossless") at friggin 1411kbps if you have that - and a fast enough data connection, of course. It'll degrade if your connection gets spotty.

Ideally, you'd either rip CDs into flac files, or buy/download the flac files (or some other lossless format), put them on a usb stick, and plug that into your radio. At the very least, plug your phone in. If you use bluetooth the sound quality is going to suffer. You will notice the biggest difference there.

Now that you've piqued my interest, I wonder what kind of sound hardware the insane audio radio uses. I was under the impression it's just a random chinese unit. Suppose they went and stuck an ESS DAC and some really nice audio hardware on there?

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I've worked for quite a few dealers myself over the years(Ford and Jeep}. And still have friends that work at jeep dealers...maybe honda is overly strict I don't know.
At least with Jeep and Ford, warranty won't be denied if nothing interferes with repairs or causes the problem.
So unmarry the tazer(or what ever product) and it won't interfere with the dealer diagnostics
Yeah. Tbh im still getting used to the leniency. Ill contact my dealer and make sure there wont be any issue. If where good ill get it done. If not ill just have to do as you say and unmarry it every time. But do you rec the tazer if so which one?

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
if you’re after the best sound/lossless streaming, use tidal. This isn’t preference — it’s just fact of the formats and bitrates they use for their premium service. It costs more, and I’m not sure if it’s worth it for car audio, but you absolutely can tell the difference on a good home system.
My jl will surely need that home surround style system with this insane audio unit and hopefully soon the american soundvar im still hoping for. I can already hear the quality diff between spotify and apple music so i can only imagine after that loud sound bar. Thanks for the info ill look into it!

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
That doesn't make sense. Spotify uses a 256kbit/sec AAC stream. The really old m4p itunes files were 128kbps AACs but the non-DRM m4a files are 256kbps. Tidal does use flac encoding ("lossless") at friggin 1411kbps if you have that - and a fast enough data connection, of course. It'll degrade if your connection gets spotty.

Ideally, you'd either rip CDs into flac files, or buy/download the flac files (or some other lossless format), put them on a usb stick, and plug that into your radio. At the very least, plug your phone in. If you use bluetooth the sound quality is going to suffer. You will notice the biggest difference there.

Now that you've piqued my interest, I wonder what kind of sound hardware the insane audio radio uses. I was under the impression it's just a random chinese unit. Suppose they went and stuck an ESS DAC and some really nice audio hardware on there?
I can always get your questions answered if yould like. The guy i spoke to seemed to like that i was tech savvy and was recommending them on here. Maybe hell give more info into that. But i do find that this radio is very interesting. All the different options all change sound and you can tell the difference. I have a 256 gig sd and ive been dieing to use it but idk how to get those flac files without using a small fortune for multiple song purchases. So im holding off till i get all my music in and my new wheels on then ill start spendig. Towards those lossless files! So far spotify has been best sounding but i havent tried amazon yet. Or the app your saying.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Derp, I apologize, I forgot that you can just literally run the apps on the radio lol.
Sponsored