Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
We need the HALF DOORS brought back! Love the frameless doors of the Bronco. I think most people agree, the Wrangler just looks plain goofy with full doors on and top off, just hideous to me.

I recently emailed FCA asking about the half doors and reminded them of their misleading advertising of the 2018 JL showing half doors.

They replied to me and said “unfortunately we will not be offering half doors for the JL”. This just makes me sick but what can you do?
If FCA has decided that it won’t be offering half doors, then it should STOP showing JLs with half doors! :mad:

I have to say this is one trait about FCA that just p*sses me off: it takes us for a bunch of gullible fools!
Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
The Bronco is Grand Cherokee size; these are rounded off numbers, length 190", width 76",
That's a real problem where I like to wheel. Narrow slot and shelf trails. JLs are becoming ever more bus like as it is. The Bronco Sport is wider still. No deal for me.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You went to the wrong place. I checked out my dealer and had a great experience buying mine and if I didnt I wouldnt blame the company, just the dealership. Now if JEEP didnt stand behind something wrong that is a different story. But they have been pretty good in the past, even extending warranty's.

I have had a bad experience with FORD. A truck burning a quart of oil every 600 miles is ok with FORD the company. LAME.
I have had instances when neither FCA nor the dealer stood behind the warranty on my last JK. I am not too impressed with either.

Whether it is FCA or the dealer’s fault, that is a distinction I am not willing to make. Dealers represent FCA to the customers. If a dealer sucks, then it is FCA’s job to do something about it.

With regards to Ford, I doubt that customer experience is going to be significantly better than FCA’s.

One of the best customer experiences I had in recent years was when I bought my 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road. It wasn’t an amazing experience, but it was competent and professional. That’s a lot more than I can say about most interactions I’ve had with Jeep dealers in recent past.

If Toyota offered a viable alternative to Wrangler, like an up-to-date FJ Cruiser 4-door, which Toyota is reportedly considering right now, that would definitely catch my attention.

Last edited:

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
If Wrangler could come out with some kind of robust rubber floor that also blocked heat and noise (I dunno....maybe embedded pockets of sound proofing) - that would be my number one request. I drive with a full interior these days and have the shop-vac usage to match, but my bedlined TJ's were bloody easy to clean.

The pricing thing will be interesting. Around the campfire when we BS about rigs, we've often discussed the dilemma with paper pricing and dealer/realistic pricing. It's sort of an easter egg hunt. When it was finally time to let the 2006 LJ Rubicon go - ugh that was a hard call - I looked all over for what I wanted: JLUR with no options.

After about a month, I WAS able to find two of them - one being the Jeep I took home. I paid 42000, for my 2020 JLUR, which is pretty damn close to as cheap as you can configure an unlimited rubicon. The only package that the dealer added was the touch-handle keyless entry and all weather mats, which I would have bought anyway - and even got it in Sting Gray. 42k is no small chunk of change for most folks, but I'm happy with what I paid, especially given that a "4wd" Honda CRV, modestly equipped, sits near 38k off the lot. IMO the Jeep is a lot more capability for dollar, however ya feel about FCA.

My Ford pals have lauded the configurability of the upcoming Bronco packages, mentioning how great it will be to see all the features at lower price points. I'm dubious how realistic finding one will be, especially in the first 2 years. Not saying they won't be out there, but Dealers are Dealers and even configuring one custom will likely involve mandatory box checking of certain price-adding features.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
That's a real problem where I like to wheel. Narrow slot and shelf trails. JLs are becoming ever more bus like as it is. The Bronco Sport is wider still. No deal for me.
Yea this is where Ford seriously sacrificed off-road capability for on-road comfort. The IFS has its own LCA-clearance issues, but it also necessitated the ridiculous width of the Bronco to maintain some semblance of acceptable off-road wheel articulation. Now the damn thing won’t fit down a TON of trails. The two most important mods on a trail bronco are going to be xpel and a chainsaw mount unless it’s exclusively wheeled in wide open spaces.

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
If Wrangler could come out with some kind of robust rubber floor that also blocked heat and noise (I dunno....maybe embedded pockets of sound proofing) - that would be my number one request. I drive with a full interior these days and have the shop-vac usage to match, but my bedlined TJ's were bloody easy to clean.

The pricing thing will be interesting. Around the campfire when we BS about rigs, we've often discussed the dilemma with paper pricing and dealer/realistic pricing. It's sort of an easter egg hunt. When it was finally time to let the 2006 LJ Rubicon go - ugh that was a hard call - I looked all over for what I wanted: JLUR with no options.

After about a month, I WAS able to find two of them - one being the Jeep I took home. I paid 42000, for my 2020 JLUR, which is pretty damn close to as cheap as you can configure an unlimited rubicon. The only package that the dealer added was the touch-handle keyless entry and all weather mats, which I would have bought anyway - and even got it in Sting Gray. 42k is no small chunk of change for most folks, but I'm happy with what I paid, especially given that a "4wd" Honda CRV, modestly equipped, sits near 38k off the lot. IMO the Jeep is a lot more capability for dollar, however ya feel about FCA.

My Ford pals have lauded the configurability of the upcoming Bronco packages, mentioning how great it will be to see all the features at lower price points. I'm dubious how realistic finding one will be, especially in the first 2 years. Not saying they won't be out there, but Dealers are Dealers and even configuring one custom will likely involve mandatory box checking of certain price-adding features.
All the Broncos that will be made for quite a while will be reservation-based, and you will order it exactly how you want it. It will be at least a year or so after production starts before they show up on the lot as available units.

Right now Ford is “listening” to requests for the Sasquatch package (35s, f/r lockers, disconnecting sway bar) to be offered on the base model and with a manual trans. May or may not happen first year, but it will happen. A base model with nothing but most of what makes a Rubicon a Rubicon on it is going to change the market. Many people won’t pay $50K-$65K for Rubicon if you can get a similarly-capable base Bronco for $10-20K less.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Had Honda tell me nearly the same thing on the '08-12 Accords...burning 1 qt. of oil every 1K miles (with slated 5K oil changes and 4.5 qt. capacity....do the math you fucktards). Got rid of that thing before the 36K mile warranty was up.
All the manufacturers will do this. GM did it with the '07-10 DoD (which they had to rename AFM 'cause the average consumer is too stupid to understand what Displacement is).

I don't remember their exact threshold for consumption of a quart back around '08-ish once problems became evident but it was low. They'd require you to go to the dealer where SOP was an oil change and new plugs and then you had to return to the dealer after driving for ~1000 mi to see if any oil had been lost.

Of course the 8.1's used a quart every 1500 and that was just considered normal....

but yeah, all these engines hold more than 4.5qt

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Exactly, which also ensures they'll get pretty close to asking since you can't negotiate as much on a pre-order.
Many dealers are agreeing to the X Plan Pricing provided Ford allows it on the Bronco. Others are at least agreeing not to exceed MSRP even on the limited-run First Edition. But that wasn’t my point — my point was that it looks like Ford is going to let you order a base model with nothing but the sought-after Rubicon-type off road features. Jeep won’t let you order a base Wrangler then add Rubicon suspension, larger tires, D44 axles, 4:10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, electronic disconnecting sway bars, and nothing else. If (when) Ford offers this, it will give the buyer close-to-Rubicon capability for $10K+ less than a typical Rubicon.

Sponsored

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Many dealers are agreeing to the X Plan Pricing provided Ford allows it on the Bronco. Others are at least agreeing not to exceed MSRP even on the limited-run First Edition. But that wasn’t my point — my point was that it looks like Ford is going to let you order a base model with nothing but the sought-after Rubicon-type off road features. Jeep won’t let you order a base Wrangler then add Rubicon suspension, larger tires, D44 axles, 4:10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, electronic disconnecting sway bars, and nothing else. If (when) Ford offers this, it will give the buyer close-to-Rubicon capability for $10K+ less than a typical Rubicon.
Sasquatch won't have Sway bar disconnect with base models, also not many people need this feature..

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Sasquatch won't have Sway bar disconnect with base models, also not many people need this feature..
Ah, cool, I didn't know that. I guess base model buyers could always add manual disconnect afterward if they really want it.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
We need the HALF DOORS brought back! Love the frameless doors of the Bronco. I think most people agree, the Wrangler just looks plain goofy with full doors on and top off, just hideous to me.

I recently emailed FCA asking about the half doors and reminded them of their misleading advertising of the 2018 JL showing half doors.

They replied to me and said “unfortunately we will not be offering half doors for the JL”. This just makes me sick but what can you do?
Just a guess here but it’s probably because some idiot got hurt, hired a shark lawyer who said your doors didn’t protect my client, sued Jeep, now everyone suffers. I’ve been saying for years, “people ruin things for people “.
Sponsored