ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
So let's say I buy a new Jeep brand vehicle from Dealer A.
Later I go to Dealer B and trade that vehicle in for a new Jeep Brand vehicle. Does Dealer B know what I paid for the vehicle when I bought it from Dealer A? Is there s database that dealers share where they can see what I paid? Just wondering....
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So let's say I buy a new Jeep brand vehicle from Dealer A.
Later I go to Dealer B and trade that vehicle in for a new Jeep Brand vehicle. Does Dealer B know what I paid for the vehicle when I bought it from Dealer A? Is there s database that dealers share where they can see what I paid? Just wondering....
Interesting question. But, I donā€™t know. My pure guess is that there likely isnā€™t a database per se as that would smack of ā€œprice fixing/collusionā€ among dealers. But, I really donā€™t know.

OP
OP
ExitLeft

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting question. But, I donā€™t know. My pure guess is that there likely isnā€™t a database per se as that would smack of ā€œprice fixing/collusionā€ among dealers. But, I really donā€™t know.
Good point.

They'd know what you owe on it if you trade it in. If you bought it outright there shouldn't be a way for them to know without some legwork.
True, but if I got $20k in equity on a $50k purchase they know what I owe, but would have no clue on what I paid....or do they????

I only ask because I bought and traded at the same dealership a few years ago and they threw it in my face when I was negotiating the trade. I wanted X for it and they offered X-$2k. When I balked, they said "well, you only paid such and such for it so x-$2k is a fair offer". And I'm standing there thinking how does what I paid for it figure in to what it's worth as a trade in today? Now, if I went to a different dealer they wouldn't know whether I paid sticker, invoice, or less than invoice so....

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
In this case, the dealership you bought it from kept track of what you paid. Another dealer is not going to access to that unless they are connected. What you paid when it was new does not affect what it is worth today and should not affect the trade in offer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ExitLeft

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
In this case, the dealership you bought it from kept track of what you paid. Another dealer is not going to access to that unless they are connected. What you paid when it was new does not affect what it is worth today and should not affect the trade in offer.
Exactly. But itā€™s a bit of a disadvantage if they know.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Exactly. But itā€™s a bit of a disadvantage if they know.
My dealer ownership friend told me they could care less what you paid for it. They only care what they have to give you and how much they can sell it for. They have no access to any other dealership information unless the are commonly owned but even then he told me why bother? This dealer and his family owns 14 dealerships in this area so he is no light weight!
Sponsored