Sponsored

2021 Jeep with major paint issues (hardtop)!

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Well damn, you go big guy.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure the 1.4 turbo 4-cyl motor in my Fiat Spider cranks out more power than a 1948 Mercury V8...

:LOL:

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
No one painted the hardtop except FCA. Like I stated, its a 2021 and the build sheet, sticker, etc. all state it came factory painted.
I would demand a new, painted hardtop. A body shop can make it right, but it will require extensive sanding, painting, and baking and it isn't economically worth it to do all of that.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Could you explain a little more I am old school. If you keep the pen taster and computer with the electronics you would have the stop start crap and associated weight.
When you do an engine swap, you drop out the old engine (motor), you put in the new engine and then you connect the new engine to the original electronics, etc.

Last edited:

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
When you do an engine swap, you drop out the old engine (motor), you put in the new engine and then you connect the new engine to the original electronics, etc.

No! Electronics must go and a custom computer made to order with new custom wiring harness etc. really a lot involved electronically speaking.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
No start stop, no proximity sensors, no open the door when in reverse stopping, no electronic bull shit except elec windows, no sensor for lockers that can’t be manually repaired by owner, no electronic crap. Thank you. Etc.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I understand why you would want this. You want an off road vehicle that has few potential points of failure. You don't want electronic components to fail when you are 100 miles from civilization. I get that.

However, the world is moving in a different direction. In a few years, gas and diesel vehicles will be banned in several countries in Europe. Other countries are likely to follow.

Some of these countries already apply higher taxes to gas and diesel engines in order to encourage the purchase of electronic vehicles.

I like this ad from Car Shield. Look at 1:18. :CWL:

"It's not like the old days when you could fix anything with a wrench and a screw driver. Now you need to be a rocket scientist."

Last edited:

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
You are correct. When my factory warranty runs out or close to it I will shop for a warranty just because of the electric garbage that will fail that some some educated idiot at FCA thinks we want. I’m old enough that I won’t be around for the crap that’s coming down the pipeline. Remember this(one EMP burst) and only the model A’s etc. magneto driven vehicles will be moving. The snowflakes won’t even be able to communicate on their Cell phones. Oh well enough of the rant. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP

MyThirdJeep

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 JK
Just picked up a 2021 JLU Rubicon with the color matched hard top on Saturday. It was pouring rain so I didn't spend any time looking at Jeep before I signed the purchase contract. Washed off the Jeep yesterday in my driveway and noticed that the painted hardtop is absolutely terrible. There are globs of paint running down the seams and channels of the hardtop. In some spots, the black base coat is bleeding through.

I am visiting my dealership tonight after work. Has anyone had a similar experience/problem with their painted hardtop? What was the resolution? Should I be dealing with the dealership or FCA directly? I would not have bought this Jeep had I noticed these paint issues (would've looked for another one without issues). How something slips past quality control on a $56K (msrp) vehicle is beyond me.
Quick update (and thanks to all for the feedback, suggestions, etc.).

I took it to the dealership yesterday. Dealer wanted to repaint the top (at their cost or FCA) and wanted me to wait 7 days for a response from FCA. Told them a repainted $50k Jeep wasn't what I paid for. They were surprisingly easy to work with and agreed to get me another Wrangler. They are getting me the same Wrangler from an out of state dealership this weekend. Hopefully someone else at the factory painted this one.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I understand why you would want this. You want an off road vehicle that has few potential points of failure. You don't want electronic components to fail when you are 100 miles from civilization. I get that.

However, the world is moving in a different direction. In a few years, gas and diesel vehicles will be banned in several countries in Europe. Other countries are likely to follow.

Some of these countries already apply higher taxes to gas and diesel engines in order to encourage the purchase of electronic vehicles.

I like this ad from Car Shield. Look at 1:18. :CWL:

"It's not like the old days when you could fix anything with a wrench and a screw driver. Now you need to be a rocket scientist."

Jamrock! I like to 4wheel alone. It’s so nice to enjoy the great out doors with out the noise of people. The amount of wildlife you can observe is amazing when you are by your self. The problem that Jeep has caused is you can’t trust their vehicle anymore. You need at least one other vehicle in case of electrical or other problems. So sad. What was once a no worries enjoyable off road adventure when you went off road is no more. I hope FORD recognizes this and produces a Bronco that is reliable. If they do, word of mouth advertisement will spread like wildfire and Jeep will get what they deserve.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I have heard this concern before. Especially from people who have owned earlier model Jeeps.

FCA has done a very good job of expanding the market for Jeeps. They have maintained the image of the brand. I give them full credit for that.

I don't think the move to more electrical components is the issue. Other vehicle manufacturers have been doing this as well.

It is easy to get complacent when you dominate the market you are in. FCA would not be the first company to do so. Let us see what happens when the Bronco is released. Ford stands to earn quite a bit of revenue if they can exploit the dis-satisfaction of long time Jeep owners like yourself.

There are signs of hope. A fix for the long standing steering issue has been released. The reviews so far have been good. Let us see what happens next.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I have heard this concern before. Especially from people who have owned earlier model Jeeps.

FCA has done a very good job of expanding the market for Jeeps. They have maintained the image of the brand. I give them full credit for that.

I don't think the move to more electrical components is the issue. Other vehicle manufacturers have been doing this as well.

It is easy to get complacent when you dominate the market you are in. FCA would not be the first company to do so. Let us see what happens when the Bronco is released. Ford stands to earn quite a bit of revenue if they can exploit the dis-satisfaction of long time Jeep owners like yourself.

There are signs of hope. A fix for the long standing steering issue has been released. The reviews so far have been good. Let us see what happens next.
I am on jeep #9 or 10 and I am going to take a look at the (Bronco) for the wife. She likes pu trucks and Jeeps etc. she also can really drive a stick shift. One of her vehicles was a stick shift Jeep. Well let’s see what happens as you say with the Bronco.
Sponsored