First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
For too long, new vehicles with manuals have been relished to the base models.
Once above the base model, one was often forced to go automatic or to the paddle shifter gearbox.
The "upgrade" to an automatic may be associated with new car buyers are not typically gear heads.
  • Side bar: IMHO, having a car with paddle shifters (as compared to a manual) is like going out with your cousin... Yea, it could be fun, but it ain't right.

There are a few notable exceptions (e.g., Porsche, Jeep) where you can get a nicely loaded manual gear box vehicle.

Of course as cars age, the new cars typically get cheaper. Then, more of your typical gear heads like to pickup a used car that needs some work and often gear heads prefer a manual. Then there are gear heads like me that like a nicely loaded late model vehicle with a manual that can also be a great DD. Other than a Jeep or Subaru, those vehicles are almost impossible to find (e.g., Hummer H3T with a manual).

My $0.015, as the number of folks who want a used manual vehicle increases and the supply of vehicles with manual decreases, the value of vehicles with a manual gearbox will hold their value well.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Manual Transmission Values Down the Road Save the manuals 4
Sponsored

Backpack

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S, 2023 MINI Cooper SE
Big issue too is that most household likely have one driver who can drive a manual. In a two car household its hard to justify having a car that the other spouse cant/wont drive.
I wouldn’t have married my wife if she couldn’t drive a stick. We’ve been married 27 years now. We both love driving and both love manuals. The only issue is deciding who’s driving and who’s the passenger.

Backpack

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S, 2023 MINI Cooper SE
I understand. With "stand-still" traffic, you wouldn't want your daily driver to be a manual.
I’ve never understood this reasoning. I drove a manual for years in Atlanta traffic. Not once did I wish for an automatic.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Big issue too is that most household likely have one driver who can drive a manual. In a two car household its hard to justify having a car that the other spouse cant/wont drive.
One person's issue is another's solution. I am quite fond of being the only person in my household that can drive my 6MT. Takes the awkward "honey can I take your Jeep to...." right off the table. And I'm being 100% serious.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Driven a stick all my life, i think the only non stick vehicle i have owned was my Dodge Ram. I ordered my jeep with a stick, the transmission is awesome, i absolutely hate the clutch. It is way to soft, even though the dealer said it was ok i still feel like its slipping a little here and there. Had i taken an extended test drive and felt this way i probably would have ordered an auto. Especially livining in northern Va with all the hills, theres a lot of downshifting to make it up the hills.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Driven a stick all my life, i think the only non stick vehicle i have owned was my Dodge Ram. I ordered my jeep with a stick, the transmission is awesome, i absolutely hate the clutch. It is way to soft, even though the dealer said it was ok i still feel like its slipping a little here and there. Had i taken an extended test drive and felt this way i probably would have ordered an auto. Especially livining in northern Va with all the hills, theres a lot of downshifting to make it up the hills.
Swap to a Centerforce clutch and you will be in love again

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
Welp, allay your concerns. I just got a great trade value on my 6sp Sport S. You'll all be fine.

Back to the Toyota dark side for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mismith

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ, 2016 JKU
We've decided to stick with a manual too. All my past Jeeps were manuals. We thought about ordering our 2021 JL with an auto this time. However, after some thought and getting behind the wheel of my JK again, it's 6 spd. manual all the way.

I never had a single problem selling all my previous Jeeps that were manual. In fact, most people that called wanted to make sure it was a manual and not an auto. It must be regional in popularity because there's a lot of manuals in this area.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For too long, new vehicles with manuals have been relished to the base models.
Once above the base model, one was often forced to go automatic or to the paddle shifter gearbox.

Save the manuals 4.png
I have to agree with you. You typically can't get a "nice" trim level and still keep your manual transmission. People buying manuals aren't just trying to save a buck, it's because they actually LIKE driving. They were forced out of existence.

Paddle shifters, in my opinion, are stupid. I have an auto that can be paddle shifted, but there's no point to it and it gets boring very quickly. See, it's not choosing your gear that makes a manual enjoyable, it's all about the clutch. It's the personal satisfaction in a smooth start, an intentional burnout, or a perfectly rev-matched downshift. It's about challenging yourself, not deciding what gear to be in.

I very much appreciate Jeep allowing me to check every box WITHOUT giving up my manual

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased my manual trans 2020 with steel bumpers, 7'' screen (all I need), cold weather package and tow package (for the internal switches, lights, winch etc) for $42k.

I'm really glad I didn't spend more money on it. I'm not paying another $5k on an auto trans.

Sponsored

Jim M

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport 2 door
I have read that only two percent of America car’s are built with manual transmission. Drivers either don’t want a stick shift or don’t know how to drive one. I recently had my JL in for service when I came to pick it up the shop guy had trouble starting the car,he forgot about the clutch. That said I am a manual shift man, I try to buy what I like to drive. I don’t worry about resale or trade in value. I believe if I give less for a MT I can take less when I sell it and not be hurt. So in conclusion I say get the vehicle you want besides your grandkids won’t be borrowing it since they can’t drive a stick.(and remember we are all ignorant just about different things) .

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I think the real value killer is going to be the 2.0. I love the modern turbo engines but direct injection is a maintenance nightmare over the long haul. The 3.6 will be the winner here.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I think the real value killer is going to be the 2.0. I love the modern turbo engines but direct injection is a maintenance nightmare over the long haul. The 3.6 will be the winner here.
I will start off that I don't know much about the FCA 2.0L Direct Injection Turbo and carbon build up. The internet has jumped on the BMW getting clogged up with carbon deposits on the intake valves and has applied it to every direction motor.

I have own a few Subarus, the 2.0 DI Turbo used in the Forester and WRX are not seeming having major issues with carbon build up. To the average driver with 100k miles, they don't seem to have drivability issues or setting engine. The carbon build up will show up on a dyno.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I will start off that I don't know much about the FCA 2.0L Direct Injection Turbo and carbon build up. The internet has jumped on the BMW getting clogged up with carbon deposits on the intake valves and has applied it to every direction motor.

I have own a few Subarus, the 2.0 DI Turbo used in the Forester and WRX are not seeming having major issues with carbon build up. To the average driver with 100k miles, they don't seem to have drivability issues or setting engine. The carbon build up will show up on a dyno.
Carbon buildup affects every DI only motor. That said, there are a bajiliion F-150s with 3.5 DI ecoboosts running around with 150k+ miles and they are just fine. No they don't make as much power as when new, but you would be hard pressed to tell.

While a few people have experienced poor running engines from a variety of manufacturers due to carbon buildup, it's mostly forum hype. Enjoy your vehicle and don't stress over what "could" but probably won't cause issues in the future
Sponsored