Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I'm at 35,600 miles so I dropped my 18 JLUR at the dealer Tuesday and complained of the wandering and also mentioned TSB 08-074-20. They called me today and said the steering damper was leaking and they were replacing it and the drag link. Looks like no new steering box for me unless I complain some more. I'll see how it drives when I get it back. My suspension is 100% stock.
Damn I dropped mine off on Tuesday as well and they still haven't diagnosed it!
Sponsored

97redjeep

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, slightly modded 97 TJ, 2018 Power Wagon, 99 2500 24V
Just took mine in to be assessed for the steering box replacement. Was called late and told based on my VIN that I am not eligible for the fix? But that I am going to get new Lower control arms? Does this make sense? For me I have not play or dead spots, I just have to really work at hwy speeds to keep it tracking straight. Regardless I have not read anywhere this is based on VIN? Has anyone lse heard this?

I went through this same thing, I just got off the phone with the service manager where I bought it, said I need to book it in and get a tech to confirm.... that’s where I cut him off and said I just finished tightening finger tight sway bar link to diff bolts, track bar to diff bolts, both tie rod nuts and drag link bolt, so I’m not comfortable having the tech that performed the diff swap “diagnose” the steering problem, he then said, let me know when you are coming in I’ll do up the TSB paperwork and get the tech to sign off on it so we can order parts. With all that said, I’m a little nervous about having them perform any work to this thing, I hope most of you have more competent mechanics than these guys do.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I called for an update and they are waiting on the “nut” to come in. I need to make a trip tomorrow evening so I hope it comes in time to get it on there tomorrow.

hrhnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Dropped my 2018 off at a new dealership for the repair and an oil change. I got the impression they were just going to diagnose it today. I left a copy of the TSB on the seat.

The advisor opened with, "well you have a lift, so that effects the steering."

I brushed it off with "It's been off since I got the Jeep a year before the lift, so that's not the problem."

It's also the mopar lift installed at another dealership.

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly.
Dropped it off at 7:30, got a text at 2:30... "Ordering parts for tsb update... suppose to be in for tomorrow .. keep rental"

I am in New England, I am guessing different warehouses for different regions have different inventory levels. I hope it is the new steering box...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at 35,600 miles so I dropped my 18 JLUR at the dealer Tuesday and complained of the wandering and also mentioned TSB 08-074-20. They called me today and said the steering damper was leaking and they were replacing it and the drag link. Looks like no new steering box for me unless I complain some more. I'll see how it drives when I get it back. My suspension is 100% stock.
They might as well do the TSB, too, as they've already taken off the drag link. Get @JeepCares on them!

Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Well, I feel a little relief, with Step 1 success. :like:
Took it in today and they said, yup, we need to replace the steering box.
Part has been ordered. They said it should be in in a week.
... the wait for Step 2 begins.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Shake my head there are still many offroad shops are pushing the Synergy mod to mask the issue, first, it is garbage design and the brace will spin and creak, second, it complicates the TSB fix and just gives dealer excuses to not do it.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
I get that this comment was several pages ago, but do you think a rack and pinion and steering gear are different things?
Rack and Pinion is attached to the ties rods and normally is attached to the part of the frame that supports the engine.
Steering gear/Steering box is normally attached to the driver side frame and connects to a Pitman arm

I found this using Google to try and explain. Not exactly the same as a Jeep but you get the idea.

What concerned me was that the service document said Rack and Pinion where the TSB calls out a steering gear. It might just be someone clicking the wrong thing in the list of jobs but I would at least check that you received the correct one.

Andy

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'd complain some more

wareinhardt

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Freedom Edition
So I dropped mine off on Monday. They diagnosed it on Tuesday, performed the TSB and said try completed everything. I then dropped right off at shop to get larger tires installed, so I didn’t get the time to inspect the work. MISTAKE, I always check out the work performed, and the one time I didn’t, they put back in an aluminum housing, part 68250506AE Gear-power steering core charge...they said that they replaced the gear assembly.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") B3EB95C1-E9D4-4E9C-A599-814BBD325D54

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So I dropped mine off on Monday. They diagnosed it on Tuesday, performed the TSB and said try completed everything. I then dropped right off at shop to get larger tires installed, so I didn’t get the time to inspect the work. MISTAKE, I always check out the work performed, and the one time I didn’t, they put back in an aluminum housing, part 68250506AE Gear-power steering core charge...they said that they replaced the gear assembly.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") B3EB95C1-E9D4-4E9C-A599-814BBD325D54
That’s the correct TSB but the wrong gearbox for the correct TSB. Wow, Smh

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Well the nut they ended up ordering was the pitman arm nut. I guess it was galled when they removed it to reinstall it on the new gearbox.

They said the Jeep is ready for pickup.

wareinhardt

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s the correct TSB but the wrong gearbox for the correct TSB. Wow, Smh
So I called this morning and they apologized and said that the part was mentioned in the TSB has been superseded with a new part. The parts department thought they ordered the correct one but they just realized they didn’t. They told me they can only 1 every 14 days (also on backroder) and they have to wait until 9/29 when it shows as them being available to order again. They will have our Jeep again for a couple of days to put the right one in.

wareinhardt

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I picked mine up from the TSB repair, diagnosed, parts ordered, and repaired in less than 36 hours...
Check the steering box and make sure it’s not an aluminum one again. Don’t make my mistake. From what I hear it’s happened to a few people.
Sponsored