Sponsored

6-Speed JLUR with 35s vs 37s (no re-gear)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome input, thanks for not just saying it sucks or there are “many minuses” and then getting defensive when I ask for more than 1 :like:...

Have you had an opportunity to drive a 6-speed JLUR on 37s and hasn’t been re-geared so you can compare the difference in on-road handling?
Nope, haven't driven one. I've also not heard the guys with them have any complaints, either. They love their Jeeps.

I try not to diss anyone's rig because they represent and fulfill their dreams and do what they want them to do. Lots of diversity in thought and experiences in the Jeep world. Like everyone else, I just have my own personal priorities and I try to set it up just right to hit the sweet spot. Neither my YJ or JK, both of which I loved, quite hit the spot. I think I nailed it with the JL, though.

The key is to think about your priorities. Everything, and I mean everything, is ultimately a compromise of some kind. It would be great if you could drive several setups and choose what you like best. One advantage is that I lived with the JK for so long with 33's and the 2" lift. I was pretty sure of what I wanted after living with it so long. Btw, I actually wouldn't change that JK because its engine just wouldn't have the stuff to handle 35's. Not to mention the axle housings just aren't as strong. It's as good as it is going to get, which is fine. It is still quite capable off-road. And I still love it. But the JL blows it away both on and off road. No comparison.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And not trying to kill this more than it already is... one more question, what do you think is worse in terms of negatively impacting power?
  1. 35” tire that weighs 78lbs
  2. 36.5” tire that weighs 73lbs
The 36.5" tire. It makes the final gearing taller. 5 lbs is not much. The weight of the tires/wheels has more to do with stress on drive train components and maybe ride due to more unsprung weight. But the diameter will have more effect on power.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One more quick thing. Some view having to down shift in a manual due to an incline or to pass as a negative. They completely ignore the fact, or simply don't realize, the automatics down shift, too. I've driven an auto with 33's and it didn't get into 8th gear any more than I use 6th gear. On top of that, even the slightest incline took it to 5th. That's 3 gears down. Same as going to 3rd in a manual. The auto is just so smooth and quiet that most don't realize what it is doing.

Bottom line. If you don't like to shift, which includes downshifting, don't get the manual. You'll be plenty happy with the auto. If you truly appreciate a manual and understand the reality of this, then you won't regret it. It pulls 6th as good as the auto pulls 8th. In fact, IMHO, mine with 35's pulls 6th as well as the ones I've driven with 33's, including both the 4 and the 6.

Oh, and I've yet to do a little drag racing with friends with Rubis, 35's, and autos where I couldn't pull away from them. It was close, but they ultimately fell behind and gave up. I even think the JK 6 speed has better gear ratios, particularly in 5th and 6th, but my best friend's 2 door Rubi 6 speed JK with 35's and the 3.6 can't keep up, either. The JL slightly pulls away. And his rig has to be at least a few hundred pounds lighter. Of course, all this is playing around and not in 5th or 6th gear. Mostly 1st and 2nd. Mine gets to 60 or maybe just past it before redlining in 2nd gear. That helps when the other guy has to shift more, LOL! No, they aren't race cars, but it is fun to fart around like that while on the way to or from the trails. Btw, in the mountains, I sometimes have to go to 4th gear when he can stay in 5th to maintain speed. Again, that's the deal with 2 overdrives. The JK's 5th gear ratio is not an overdrive and is a little shorter. I'd love to have the JK's ratios in the JL. Basically the JL's 5th feels about the same as the JK's 6th.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MDRubicon

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
One more quick thing. Some view having to down shift in a manual due to an incline or to pass as a negative. They completely ignore the fact, or simply don't realize, the automatics down shift, too. I've driven an auto with 33's and it didn't get into 8th gear any more than I use 6th gear. On top of that, even the slightest incline took it to 5th. That's 3 gears down. Same as going to 3rd in a manual. The auto is just so smooth and quiet that most don't realize what it is doing.

Bottom line. If you don't like to shift, which includes downshifting, don't get the manual. You'll be plenty happy with the auto. If you truly appreciate a manual and understand the reality of this, then you won't regret it. It pulls 6th as good as the auto pulls 8th. In fact, IMHO, mine with 35's pulls 6th as well as the ones I've driven with 33's, including both the 4 and the 6.

Oh, and I've yet to do a little drag racing with friends with Rubis, 35's, and autos where I couldn't pull away from them. It was close, but they ultimately fell behind and gave up. I even think the JK 6 speed has better gear ratios, particularly in 5th and 6th, but my best friend's 2 door Rubi 6 speed JK with 35's and the 3.6 can't keep up, either. The JL slightly pulls away. And his rig has to be at least a few hundred pounds lighter. Of course, all this is playing around and not in 5th or 6th gear. Mostly 1st and 2nd. Mine gets to 60 or maybe just past it before redlining in 2nd gear. That helps when the other guy has to shift more, LOL! No, they aren't race cars, but it is fun to fart around like that while on the way to or from the trails. Btw, in the mountains, I sometimes have to go to 4th gear when he can stay in 5th to maintain speed. Again, that's the deal with 2 overdrives. The JK's 5th gear ratio is not an overdrive and is a little shorter. I'd love to have the JK's ratios in the JL. Basically the JL's 5th feels about the same as the JK's 6th.
I’ve only driven manual and will not get an automatic, which is why I’m hoping they make the V8 available in manual, even though we know they probably won’t.

For the record, my first two TJs were manual and my recent JK Rubicon (2-door) was too, which unfortunately I had to sell, so I can buy a JLUR. I’m looking forward to the JL “upgrades” and LOVE manual. Automatic doesn’t = driving for me.... the shifting up/down is fine too.

In my red TJ (photo in my icon), that was manual with a 4” lift and 33s. I def had to downshift into 4th and sometimes 3rd if I wanted to pass on a hill. Even without passing, when going up long hills I’d have to go to 4th. So I get it, however the TJs never had a lot of pep/zip compared to JK/JL. That’s really what I was trying to understand with this thread, how much power/zip, etc. is lost.

OP
OP
MDRubicon

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler

Is it fair to look at it re-gearing as a way to gain back 6th and more of 5th so that you don’t have to shift as much, and that’s the reason people pay $2K+... so they don’t have to shift as much?

I get it if you do crawling and don’t want to stall every time you manage an obstacle or if you have an automatic and don’t want to stress it out by having it constantly switch gears, but if you’re driving manual and don’t do hardcore wheeling, why bother paying so much in exchange for not having to shift as frequently...? Lol or am I missing something.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it fair to look at it re-gearing as a way to gain back 6th and more of 5th so that you don’t have to shift as much, and that’s the reason people pay $2K+... so they don’t have to shift as much?

I get it if you do crawling and don’t want to stall every time you manage an obstacle or if you have an automatic and don’t want to stress it out by having it constantly switch gears, but if you’re driving manual and don’t do hardcore wheeling, why bother paying so much in exchange for not having to shift as frequently...? Lol or am I missing something.
Certainly re-gearing can move 6th gear into being usable at lower speeds, or make it easier for the engine to pull on grades. It is no doubt a viable option. Drive around a bit and then decide if you feel the need, or not.

I've had zero issues with stalling, even in very technical terrain, from Moab to deep woods Kentucky. I've climbed fairly steep grades with no throttle, in low range, just idling up. I personally enjoy the manual in all types of driving, including crawling. The first gear is very short, and in low range, feels like it could pull a house off its foundation.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
What did you regear with?

My JLUR drives just fine on 4:10s but I do plan to regear to 5:13 or 5:38 at some point. Not because it needs it, but just because it's more fun to row through six gears than it is four...
I went with 4.88 because I plan on staying on 35s. I like to be over built and if I go 37s I'm going to want to change axles, brakes, etc. If I were planning on 37s, I would go 5.13 for sure.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
If you were closer I could take you for a ride and show what most are trying to describe. if you’re ok with basically having a 4 speed transmission, get the 37s. If you’re not happy, when you’re ready regear. It’s not the end of the world to miss out on 6th and some of 5th. Wheeling, you almost have to have it in 4lo. I couldn’t load it on the trailer in 2hi without smoking the clutch. Horrible but the 4:1 compensates ok. This is more of a personal preference. Whats unacceptable to me might be acceptable to you and the reciprocal is true too.

Big thing is if you’re not satisfied, it’s not a big deal to fix it!

brett

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
How is acceleration when merging when you need to get up to speed on the highway or passing compared to stock (assuming you drove stock before)?

My biggest concern is loss of power and I’m trying to understand how much of a loss am I going to experience when compared to stock or even better, when compared to 35s.

I’m expecting less power/acceleration due to added weight. I’m not looking for a race car either. Where I live people drive aggressively and I need to be able to keep up in some scenarios (i.e. merging onto the highway). Will it be like driving a slow pinto?

Thanks again!
You can pass. Just have to find the right gear and listen to the engine rev. For me 5th is “doable” for cruising on the highway, but I actually find I get better mileage in 4th. When you hit a hill (or more wind where I’m from) you end up pushing the gas pedal to the floor and not much happening except maybe even slowing down. I do sometimes use 5th, just because it quieter. I have a muffler delete and depending on what rpm you’re at it can drone a bit...not really a problem with stock muffler. As for passing, if you’re cruising in 4th in the 70mph range, you have enough power to speed up, but if you want to aggressively accelerate, or pass someone on an incline, you’ll need to grab 3rd. Rpms will be high, but these modern engines are made to rev high to get peak power. I’m sure you can find a dyno graph somewhere to help you see what this engine is capable of at different rpms, but bottom line is 285hp is more than enough to push whatever tires you have down the highway.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I read regearing threads, I think about doing it. Then I drive my Jeep and realize I don't feel the need, at all. You really have to drive it a bit to see what you feel you need.

Where I really wish I had shorter gearing is in reverse. Man, it sucks. Especially when backing my boat up the driveway. Way too tall.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
By not having 5th and 6th gear, are you losing anything beyond better gas mileage?

I’m asking is because if the Jeep is still quick enough to merge onto a highway with other drivers zipping by and you don’t feel like you’re driving a small beat down pinto without any zip, then what’s the actual trade-off and why wouldn’t everyone (who isn’t into rock crawling) just do 37s instead of 35s?

It’s too bad there aren’t more 6-speed lifted JLs at my local dealerships here in MD so I could find out for myself what the difference really feels like.
Most dont regear to get better gas mileage (bc you wont much) . Running 4.10s with 37s is harder on your clutch and the transmission/motor is working harder.
If you were closer I could take you for a ride and show what most are trying to describe. if you’re ok with basically having a 4 speed transmission, get the 37s. If you’re not happy, when you’re ready regear. It’s not the end of the world to miss out on 6th and some of 5th. Wheeling, you almost have to have it in 4lo. I couldn’t load it on the trailer in 2hi without smoking the clutch. Horrible but the 4:1 compensates ok. This is more of a personal preference. Whats unacceptable to me might be acceptable to you and the reciprocal is true too.

Big thing is if you’re not satisfied, it’s not a big deal to fix it!

brett
Hey Brett...awesome that you were able to tow your jlur 6 speed with 5.13s to Moab. Traction is obviously unbelievable in Moab and crawling controlled/slow seems ideal there. Did you ever wheel it at non Moab places that require wheel speed to spin the tires and get over obstacles? Also, did you ever take it on a roadtrip driving 75-80mph?

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Most dont regear to get better gas mileage (bc you wont much) . Running 4.10s with 37s is harder on your clutch and the transmission/motor is working harder.

Hey Brett...awesome that you were able to tow your jlur 6 speed with 5.13s to Moab. Traction is obviously unbelievable in Moab and crawling controlled/slow seems ideal there. Did you ever wheel it at non Moab places that require wheel speed to spin the tires and get over obstacles? Also, did you ever take it on a roadtrip driving 75-80mph?
Im sure I drove it 75 once or twice for short bursts. I’m constantly told I drive like an old man and much prefer 60-65 even in my truck that’ll comfortably run 80-90 pulling the trailer.

Yes we’ve wheeled other places and I really try to keep wheel spin down for fear of smoking an axle shaft or R&P if it suddenly gets traction. I was eyeing tons hard and decided to buy or build a dedicated buggy before spending 20k on axles. I drive conservative as much as possible but I’ll also send it. Auto is so much easier to wheel on the JL platform when you start getting wheel spin.

I think we’re running up to windrock next month. Hopefully it’ll be dry as I don’t love mud!

brett

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Im sure I drove it 75 once or twice for short bursts. I’m constantly told I drive like an old man and much prefer 60-65 even in my truck that’ll comfortably run 80-90 pulling the trailer.

Yes we’ve wheeled other places and I really try to keep wheel spin down for fear of smoking an axle shaft or R&P if it suddenly gets traction. I was eyeing tons hard and decided to buy or build a dedicated buggy before spending 20k on axles. I drive conservative as much as possible but I’ll also send it. Auto is so much easier to wheel on the JL platform when you start getting wheel spin.

I think we’re running up to windrock next month. Hopefully it’ll be dry as I don’t love mud!

brett
On the east coast, you gotta spin the tires to get over many tougher obstacles...it looks alot different than Moab wheelin. I'm also going to Windrock at the end of next month. When will you be there? Shoot me a PM.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Has anyone driven a 6-speed JLUR on 35s and 37s and can describe the difference?
Drove and wheeled with brother wheeling 35s on his loaded JLUR 6sp. 35s are optimum. 1st gear in 4 low is plenty low, never needing it unless negotiating boulders or managing insane inclines. Open road driving with slight inclines and/or headwind will require the sensible 5th gear which is practical and economical up to 70-73mph. Flat terrain and 75+ mph freeway speeds are perfect for 6th and 35s. Taching 2100-2400 in 5th or 6th is the sweet spot. The only thing wrong with my TJR is I don't have that gearbox and currently am not able to after market it. 37s, though, will require a re-gear. He's able to do some serious trails easily with the 35s. I would expect Pritchett Canyon could be done without a struggle on his 35s. If you're looking for more, get a buggy or stick a Hemi in it. Tarmac driving those 35s is a dream.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Drove and wheeled with brother wheeling 35s on his loaded JLUR 6sp. 35s are optimum. 1st gear in 4 low is plenty low, never needing it unless negotiating boulders or managing insane inclines. Open road driving with slight inclines and/or headwind will require the sensible 5th gear which is practical and economical up to 70-73mph. Flat terrain and 75+ mph freeway speeds are perfect for 6th and 35s. Taching 2100-2400 in 5th or 6th is the sweet spot. The only thing wrong with my TJR is I don't have that gearbox and currently am not able to after market it. 37s, though, will require a re-gear. He's able to do some serious trails easily with the 35s. I would expect Pritchett Canyon could be done without a struggle on his 35s. If you're looking for more, get a buggy or stick a Hemi in it. Tarmac driving those 35s is a dream.
I did Pritchett Canyon in mine with no trouble! I find your description to be spot-on with my experience! Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored