Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Searched for anyone having experienced this and haven’t seen anything yet. But tonight pulled into Starbucks. When I went to pull out of drive thru I noticed that I couldn’t shift out of 1st. Was stuck in 1st and couldn’t feel the clutch pedal under my foot. The Jeep was moving even without me pressing on the gas so had to ride my brake to limp into a parking spot with my foot in my brake lightly. Once there I sat there for about 10 sec, foot on the brake and the engine finally stalled out. Turned the Jeep off then looked....the clutch pedal was just hanging out on the floorboard. Took my foot and pulled it up into position, gave it a pump or two to feel if it had any pressure or not. Felt fine. Eventually backed up and drive a bit in parking lot to test out to see if it was working. Made it home and it’s on the way to the dealership tomorrow. .... but wondering what’s going on. Anyone with any experience with this? A friend suggested having them change the whole clutch assembly.
Not sure if it’s relevant but last week was on some trails and couldn’t get the sway bar to disconnect and stay disconnected. It would disconnect then automatically reconnect itself with the sway bar light flashing.
It’s a ‘20 rubicon if that matters.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You've got a hydraulic leak, most likely. Picking the pedal up and pumping it pushed the air out but it will come back. Needs to be checked out.

As for your sway bar, it sounds like you either were going too fast, or were in 4Hi.

OP
OP
beachbumm78

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You've got a hydraulic leak, most likely. Picking the pedal up and pumping it pushed the air out but it will come back. Needs to be checked out.

As for your sway bar, it sounds like you either were going too fast, or were in 4Hi.
Thanks. We’ll see what they say tomorrow but gives me an idea. And only pumped once or twice a little just to see if it would even be drivable to try and get home but that makes sense.
With the sway bar was actually going 15mph the first time I tried it (have to be under 18). The second time we were stopped. Someone had suggested maybe it was related. I’m learning all this so no clue. Lol

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If it happens again, don't be afraid to take it out of gear. If the shifter doesn't want to go out of gear, add some RPM while you apply pressure on the shifter. Once the RPM get to a correct level, you'll be able to shift out of gear.

There is actually a technique for shifting without using the clutch. You have to match engine speed with speed required for the gear you're going into. Takes a little bit of practice, but is a good technique to be familiar with when you have a manual transmission.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Thanks. We’ll see what they say tomorrow but gives me an idea. And only pumped once or twice a little just to see if it would even be drivable to try and get home but that makes sense.
With the sway bar was actually going 15mph the first time I tried it (have to be under 18). The second time we were stopped. Someone had suggested maybe it was related. I’m learning all this so no clue. Lol
The sway bar won't always disconnect when stopped. If the axle is not level to the Jeep, there is some torque on the sway bar coupler and it won't disconnect. It's better to be moving a bit so the axle can move through a level position and allow the sway bar to disconnect.

Sponsored

OP
OP
beachbumm78

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If it happens again, don't be afraid to take it out of gear. If the shifter doesn't want to go out of gear, add some RPM while you apply pressure on the shifter. Once the RPM get to a correct level, you'll be able to shift out of gear.

There is actually a technique for shifting without using the clutch. You have to match engine speed with speed required for the gear you're going into. Takes a little bit of practice, but is a good technique to be familiar with when you have a manual transmission.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll definitely keep in mind for future. Hope I won’t need it but you never know.
Unfortunately, that wasn’t working for me tonight. It was full on stuck in 1st gear. And since a small corner parking lot couldn’t even give it a lot of gas b/c I’d of flown into the other vehicles trying to drive in the lot.

OP
OP
beachbumm78

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The sway bar won't always disconnect when stopped. If the axle is not level to the Jeep, there is some torque on the sway bar coupler and it won't disconnect. It's better to be moving a bit so the axle can move through a level position and allow the sway bar to disconnect.
True. Good point. I was on a flat road so no excess torque on the sway bar. And it would show it would disconnect. Then even say it was disconnected. Then automatically start reconnecting. I tried it a few times. Both slow moving and at a stop. Then I just gave up and left it alone. Didn’t want to mess it up while in another state exploring. Lol

OP
OP
beachbumm78

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Headed to the shop this AM.

OP
OP
beachbumm78

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did your dealer figure this out? I am having an issue shifting out of first when accelerating and think I may be having a clutch problem similar to this.
Yes, ended up needing a new master cylinder. My clutch wouldn’t come back up once pressed in. Good luck getting it figured out.

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks

How long did you have to go without the Jeep or was it able to be fixed same day?
Sponsored