Sponsored

Just curious what y'all prefer, black or Body color hard top?

Black hard top or Body color hard top?

• Total voters

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've had 3 black tops (YJ, TJ, JK). I really like my color matched. Cleans easy and I think looks classier on a 60K sticker price vehicle.
Sponsored

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Have a 2021 Rubicon on order myself and spent about 4 hours trying to decide this lol. And this was same conclusion I came to.

I got the darker grey metallic coming. Decided on color matched fenders but black top.

I really couldn't decide which look I liked better for the top... loved them both. I think I came to the conclusion since I liked them both I'd just get the black and chose to put the money I'd have spent on the color matched top toward the Alpine sound system upgrade instead!

On the darker grey the black top isn't overly noticeable anyways IMO. But I kinda like how it matches the bumpers and other black stuff around the outside. It gives it just a little bit of contrast and felt more like a Jeep. I kinda decided the color matched top made it feel a little more boxy or something.

I also was really worried about scratching the panels or top if I color matched it. I've never had a Jeep before so not sure if that would be an issue or not.

Clearly no wrong answer here lol. I still keep thinking about it though and wondering if I made the right choice as I see many sharp looking color matched Rubicons on this site. But then again, many good looking ones with black tops too!

Don't have a jeep yet, hopefully by the end of the year. Plan to go color matched fenders, with black 3 piece top.
1) I like some contrast but i also like some matching. (hence the matched fenders but black top)
2) rented a jeep in hawaii last year. it was really convenient to quickly remove the 2 pieces above the driver and passenger and just place them in the cargo area, at any point in time. Not sure I would be willing to do that if they were painted.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I would definitely get the black top I got the black top black fenders on my white Rubicon but I've kind of wish I got in the painted fenders white to match the Jeep but you have to be careful if you go off-roading at all rock chips hit the fenders and will chip them you got to remember their paint it's pretty easy to take care of the black plastic versus painted

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Have a 2021 Rubicon on order myself and spent about 4 hours trying to decide this lol. And this was same conclusion I came to.

I got the darker grey metallic coming. Decided on color matched fenders but black top.

I really couldn't decide which look I liked better for the top... loved them both. I think I came to the conclusion since I liked them both I'd just get the black and chose to put the money I'd have spent on the color matched top toward the Alpine sound system upgrade instead!

On the darker grey the black top isn't overly noticeable anyways IMO. But I kinda like how it matches the bumpers and other black stuff around the outside. It gives it just a little bit of contrast and felt more like a Jeep. I kinda decided the color matched top made it feel a little more boxy or something.

I also was really worried about scratching the panels or top if I color matched it. I've never had a Jeep before so not sure if that would be an issue or not.

Clearly no wrong answer here lol. I still keep thinking about it though and wondering if I made the right choice as I see many sharp looking color matched Rubicons on this site. But then again, many good looking ones with black tops too!
I have a red 2020 parked in my garage now, went with the color matched fenders and black top. I don't regret it one bit. You mentioned the color match top gives off the illusion it seems a little more boxy. Something that came to mind, and I believe relates, I get "Mercedes G Wagon" vibes from color matched tops, at times. Good choices on your order!

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I would go with the painting matched defenders that she on the white like I have now I wish I'd done it I would just put the clear wrap on them so wouldn't get chipped when we go off road and all the time. But if you don't go off around that much and you won't have to worry about the rocks and putting the clear coat on there that wrap

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
I ordered black because I wanted to spend the money on other options

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I would go with the painting matched defenders that she on the white like I have now I wish I'd done it I would just put the clear wrap on them so wouldn't get chipped when we go off road and all the time. But if you don't go off around that much and you won't have to worry about the rocks and putting the clear coat on there that wrap
Ok, you're cut off. Give me your keys and I'll call you a cab. :CWL:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted the unpainted fenders and hardtop. I like the 2-tone with the Stingray. It looks more rugged, and it's less paint to damage. I'm building up for crawling and high speed trail running in between obstacles.

Sponsored

JEEF

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon; 2008 Audi S5; 1977 Chevrolet Blazer; 1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville; 1999 Chevrolet Silverado; 2017 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe; 2013 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo; 2001 Honda XR650R;
I went with the black hardtop and body-colored fenders on my Firecracker Red JLUR.

I like the contrast of the black top and think it looks more Jeep-Like and looks like a separate piece that's supposed to come off and not just like a boxy SUV. I do see some (dark colored) Jeeps with the body-colored tops that look ok, but they look too G-Wagen to me. I would have actually paid more for the black hardtop over a body-colored one.

I have however, wondered what a gloss black painted top would look like as opposed to the textured matte finish. That might be cool looking.

I think the black plastic fenders look like they belong on a base model. Some think they are more rugged for off-roading, but the black plastic can get scratched and look like crap too. Not to mention it turns gray and ashy looking over time. And you can't buff out the black plastic like you can a painted surface. So if anything, I think the painted fenders are more durable. You could have them wrapped in Xpel, or something like that too if a guy was really worried about it.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
To me personally, a black hardtop looks “tougher” and a body color hardtop looks “city”.

a Black roof rack on a black roof “blends in”. A black Bestop Sunrider blends in.

both of those options on a painted top “stand out” (and not in a good way). But, again, that’s just my taste.

when I went to the dealer to buy mine (off the lot), I was 100% sure I wanted a painted top and black leather interior and painted fenders. Then I saw a white Rubicon with white top and black leather and painted fenders in person and it looked like an ambulance. I didn’t want an ambulance.

The dealer also had a white Rubicon with painted fenders and a black top and beige leather. I was positive that I did not want the beige leather. Then I saw it and sat it in...... sold. LOL

i love the beige leather and the black top. There was zero chance I was going to buy that before I went to the dealer. I’m fickle that way......

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Those with black tops, do you put anything on them to protect from fading? I saw about this 303 stuff somewhere. How often would you apply that?

Thknk there are also black restore products if the top does fade.

Just wondering about how you care for your black top.

Too Much Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
Many reasons for a black, non painted top include scratch's, paint fading and contrast are a few to conside.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Thanks for your reply.

I've honestly been thinking about this nonstop since I placed my order a few weeks ago. I even called the salesman once to see if I could switch to the painted top if I wanted to but then decided to keep the black lol. I keep looking at pictures of my build with both tops and contemplating it.

I think my problem overall is that I just dig the vehicle and like both looks. It's like trying to decide if I'd rather have $100 bill or five twenty dollar bills lol.

I think where I've gotten is that I slightly prefer the look of the black top. I like the contrast, it takes away the "boxy" SUV look and think it just makes it look more like a Jeep with a bit more of a rugged feel to it. I also like that I won't constantly worry about scratching the panels or top when taking them off. The negatives for me are having to care for it with protectant and worrying about fading.

I do still like the painted top too though and like that it doesn't need the maintenance of the black top. But I definitely get more of a traditional SUV feel with the painted top. It almost feels like a Jeep Cherokee or Hummer H3 with the painted top.

I do think color matters though as my opinions seems to sway a little when the color changes. I've ordered the granite crystal metallic. I think the black top looks pretty sharp with it and works with the overall color scheme and other black plastic on mirrors, door handles, bumpers, etc.

The fender flares were a much easier decision. I just didn't like seeing those plastic flares in my line of site so often for some reason. There's enough other black plastic around the vehicle to match well with the black top IMO with mirrors, bumpers, door handles, etc , etc.

Getting a bit excited as I should be within about 2-3 weeks of having it. It's a tough wait!

I have a red 2020 parked in my garage now, went with the color matched fenders and black top. I don't regret it one bit. You mentioned the color match top gives off the illusion it seems a little more boxy. Something that came to mind, and I believe relates, I get "Mercedes G Wagon" vibes from color matched tops, at times. Good choices on your order!
Sponsored