First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Just drive your new jeep...there are tons of Rubicons driving around that will never see more than a dirt road. Enjoy!
Sponsored

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
Any reason why you did not want a Turbo Rubicon?
I went to the dealer to look at a 2.0T Rubicon, but an employee took it home. They had a 3.6 in stock and my wife liked the Sarge Green.
I know the Rubi is pushing larger tires and weighs more than the Sahara, but the 3.6 feels slow at 75+ mph. That turbo was is the sweet spot at 75+ and never quite.
I was worried about the 48v system getting damaged on the Sahara and I'm glad I got away from that. The down side is the mpg. With the 2.0T I got 20.9 on the highway from Los Angeles to Lebanon OR and 24.9 from OR to Los Angeles through the High Sierras, all mountain roads. The 3.6, first tank 16.8mpg and the second tank with light offroading, 16.3 mpg. Only 18 miles on easy to moderate trails. The engine is still new, I hope it gets better after break in.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I know the Rubi is pushing larger tires and weighs more than the Sahara, but the 3.6 feels slow at 75+ mph.
Something is amiss with that V6.

My Sahara V6 cruises effortlessly and smoothly at 85-90 MPH. I am not used to going that fast in a Jeep Wrangler; I have to keep an eye on the speedometer.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)

My Sahara V6 cruises effortlessly and smoothly at 85-90 MPH. I am not used to going that fast in a Jeep Wrangler; I have to keep an eye on the speedometer.
I would agree with this post. My JLUR’s 3.6L engine is ok at 75MPH. At that speed, the steering is a slight concern for me. Definitely not the engine.

I plan on getting the Steering Box fixed as a result of the TSB when I take it in for the next oil change or tire rotation sometime in Nov or Dec.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation

85 to 90 MPH? Damn I need to live in your town. Here on Long Island its hard going above 75 MPH on highways due to traffic. I am at 70 or below most of the time (60 or below in NYC due to traffic and reckless taxi drivers who are usually my fellow Indians).

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I may have gotten a bad set of tires from the factory, but the Rubi tires I have on now (All-Terrain) ride way better than the OEM tires. My tires don't spin nearly as bad on wet pavement now either...
What tires did you end up getting?

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Have you ever owned a newer diesel with all the smog junk? I say this because I was never so disappointed with a vehicle as I was my 2012 Ram 3500 diesel. That regen garbage just ruined it for me. When I'd run around town it would start burning off all that soot and the mileage would plummet, not to mention the nasty smell of that process. That basically cured me of ever wanting another new diesel beyond 2007.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Have you ever owned a newer diesel with all the smog junk? I say this because I was never so disappointed with a vehicle as I was my 2012 Ram 3500 diesel. That regen garbage just ruined it for me. When I'd run around town it would start burning off all that soot and the mileage would plummet, not to mention the nasty smell of that process. That basically cured me of ever wanting another new diesel beyond 2007.
I think this is intentionally done in order for the Government to discourage Diesel purchases in the US by the common consumer. Anyone disagree? I’d love me a Jeep in an Ecodiesel but the DPF and DEF are huge turn offs for me.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Have not read all the way to the end of this thread. But regarding the diesel option. If you are only doing short hops all the time a diesel might be a mistake. Todays diesels go through a regeneration process so if you are doing short hops this doesn't complete and can cause problems. If you do long highway runs it probably won't be an issue. I'd only go for the diesel if I had long commutes every day and really I think the real advantage of the diesel is off road.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I think this is intentionally done in order for the Government to discourage Diesel purchases in the US by the common consumer. Anyone disagree? I’d love me a Jeep in an Ecodiesel but the DPF and DEF are huge turn offs for me.
If you think about it, it's dumb technology and also dumb regulation. You're injecting additional diesel fuel into what amounts to an onboard furnace to burn excess soot, leading to greater fuel consumption by the vehicle, in the name of the environment. This says nothing about the fact that all new diesels have to be designed to limit the driver to 5 mph if there's a detected failure of any sort in the emissions system. This is downright dangerous, and astonishing that they could pass such draconian measures.

What's perhaps worse than all of that is the fact that an injection pump failure and subsequent repair can now run close to $20,000 on the new trucks. You'd have to be a masochist to want to risk driving one after the warranty period has expired. I am done with diesel. I keep my old diesel truck for the heavy hauling, but refuse to buy any of the newer garbage.

Sponsored

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Have not read all the way to the end of this thread. But regarding the diesel option. If you are only doing shot hops all the time a diesel might be a mistake. Todays diesels go through a regeneration process so if you are doing short hops this doesn't complete and can cause problems. If you do long highway runs it probably won't be an issue. I'd only go for the diesel if I had long commutes every day and really I think the real advantage of the diesel is off road.
Actually, no. Off road is generally slow speeds and that is the Achilles heal of newer diesels. They cannot go into passive regen due to the exhaust not being hot enough so they will need to go into active regen. This leads to poor mileage and, worse, fires if your 1,800 degree exhaust should come into contact with cheat grass or something. One of the recent fires in CA was caused by one of these newer diesel engines.

The ONLY reason, in my opinion, to own a newer diesel is if you need the brute power to tow, which is where the new trucks shine. They can now tow over 35,000 lbs. Beyond that, forget it.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Actually, no. Off road is generally slow speeds and that is the Achilles heal of newer diesels. They cannot go into passive regen due to the exhaust not being hot enough so they will need to go into active regen. This leads to poor mileage and, worse, fires if your 1,800 degree exhaust should come into contact with cheat grass or something. One of the recent fires in CA was caused by one of these newer diesel engines.

The ONLY reason, in my opinion, to own a newer diesel is if you need the brute power to tow, which is where the new trucks shine. They can now tow over 35,000 lbs. Beyond that, forget it.
But still. That diesel engine sound tho esp in a Jeep :involve::involve::involve::involve:

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Except the new diesels don't even have that sound anymore. If I wanted a diesel in a Jeep, I'd buy an old CJ-7 and swap in a Cummins 4BT.
My Mahindra Thar had that Diesel Noise in India as Mahindra still bases their 4x4 on the CJs since they got the legal license in the 70s from the parent company in USA. Maybe that is why I have been missing it as I am not allowed back into India until after COVID.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
I ordered my Ecodiesel JLU Rubicon the day I found out I could get the diesel, no regrets.
Sponsored