Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm making the switch from my current 35's to 37's and I was interested in a few different tires.

I've run BFG (KO2's) and Nitto (Trail Grapplers) in the past but I'm tired of taking out a second and third mortgage on the house in order to do so. I DO like the idea of buying Made in USA as I can't stand giving money to China however... the price has to be right.

Well I found a few options but the USA Made option here is an 8 ply and I've always run a 10 ply. Is an 8 ply up to the task for off-roading vs. a 10 or 12 ply??

Here's what I'm considering:

Option 1: The same tires I'm running now which have proven to be fantastic on and off-road. E rated 10 ply. Made in Indonesia
Delium Terra Raider M/T KU-255

Option 2: Ironman Tires, a subsidiary of Hercules Tires USA however, these are Made in ? (not USA). F rated 12 ply.
Ironman All Country MT Mud Terrain

Option 3: These are also Hercules Tire USA and these ARE Made in USA but are 8 ply.
Hercules Terra Trac M/T

I am leaning toward running the Delium's again since I have history with them and they perform great but for an extra $200 (actually less as they are currently running a $70 rebate) I can get a USA Made tire. But 8 ply? I dunno. Obviously as you can see, the price is right for any of these as I would be pocketing near a thousand dollars by simply skipping BFG's or Nitto's so it's definitely going to come down to one of these.

Anyone have experience with the Terra Trac 8 ply's? I'd love to hear your input. Pros / Cons...
Sponsored

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I cannot speak on any of these tires, but I will say I don't believe you will find many people running E and F tires on their Jeeps. Mostly I've seen D(8 Ply) and even C(6 Ply). Personally I have 38s in C going on mine soon. My JL is way to light to ever have anything stiffer than a D on it.

OP
OP
Rogueman_1

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot speak on any of these tires, but I will say I don't believe you will find many people running E and F tires on their Jeeps. Mostly I've seen D(8 Ply) and even C(6 Ply). Personally I have 38s in C going on mine soon. My JL is way to light to ever have anything stiffer than a D on it.
Perhaps I'm over thinking it then. I currently have E rated which have served me well but now that you mention it, I believe my old BFG's were a C rated tire. Maybe I'll pull the trigger on the USA Made Terra Trac's then.

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Perhaps I'm over thinking it then. I currently have E rated which have served me well but now that you mention it, I believe my old BFG's were a C rated tire. Maybe I'll pull the trigger on the USA Made Terra Trac's then.
I think you will find your jeep way more comfortable on those. E is really rated for 3/4 ton to 1 ton trucks and F should only go on those same trucks who are towing heavy weight. Just my two cents, but I think if you went with an E+ you would really hate the ride.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rogueman_1

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds good. Thanks guys.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
It all depends what kind of wheeling you are doing. I run E rated tires but I wheel on rocks. I run Toyo open country at2 and no issues with the ride quality.

OP
OP
Rogueman_1

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It all depends what kind of wheeling you are doing. I run E rated tires but I wheel on rocks. I run Toyo open country at2 and no issues with the ride quality.
It's mostly dirt and rocks. My E rated tires now have held up really well and I find no difference between these and the Nitto's I used to run which were twice as expensive.

Radial tires don’t actually have 8/10/12 plys. The plys is for bias tires. Load range is for radial tires and ply rating is just an equivalent rating. Take a read:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55
That's interesting. I didn't know that.