Sponsored

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
i'm new to this jeep wrangler world. I drove two different JLU rubicon in the last week before a pull the trigger and buy one. I really like the the car a lot, how suspension works, engine power, interior, driving position......but steering wandering sucks. i wasn't expecting that to the point that i want to do a 3rd test drive with a non rubicon model to see how steering is in other trims? it was very disappointing experience to the point that I'm not sure if i want to buy it anymore.
my question is to the experts here, if this TSB solve this issue for real or I should expect seeing wandering as normal JLU behavior? and if it does why 2021 model don't come with that fix from factory??? should i wait for a 2022 model or maybe a late 2021 production model???
thanks for your help and excuse my total ignorance in driving a solid axle car
Solid front axle vehicles, such as the Wrangler, will have a tad bit of wander. That’s the nature of the beast. As an owner of multiple Jeeps through the years, I can say with 100% certainty that my wife’s 2020 had more wander than it should.
I had the TSB performed yesterday, and her Jeep now drives exactly as I would expect it to. That is, it doesn’t handle like a BMW, but it does drive better than my 2013 JKU as I would expect.
Apparently, the steering box in this TSB is standard on the 2021 models. There have been pics posted of it in the 2021s. So I would say that Jeep has fixed the issue to some degree.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer is so busy I've been scheduled and the earliest I can get in is the 30th. I wonder if it's worth trying to get them to order the parts prior to bringing it in, dropping it off just to tell me they have to order the parts.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
My dealer is so busy I've been scheduled and the earliest I can get in is the 30th. I wonder if it's worth trying to get them to order the parts prior to bringing it in, dropping it off just to tell me they have to order the parts.
If you can get them to order before, do it. Allegedly, dealers can only order the boxes every 2 weeks, and if there’s others in line ahead of you, then you get pushed back even further.

polestar#143

First Name
augusto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU rubicon (coming soon)
Solid front axle vehicles, such as the Wrangler, will have a tad bit of wander. That’s the nature of the beast. As an owner of multiple Jeeps through the years, I can say with 100% certainty that my wife’s 2020 had more wander than it should.
I had the TSB performed yesterday, and her Jeep now drives exactly as I would expect it to. That is, it doesn’t handle like a BMW, but it does drive better than my 2013 JKU as I would expect.
Apparently, the steering box in this TSB is standard on the 2021 models. There have been pics posted of it in the 2021s. So I would say that Jeep has fixed the issue to some degree.
that's a bummer.... the one i drove yesterday was a 2021 model and it felt exactly the same as the 2020. i guess it's not a car for me. I can't imagine driving it everyday and correcting left and right just trying going straight all the time. Too much
thanks for the clarification...!

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2020 JLUW
that's a bummer.... the one i drove yesterday was a 2021 model and it felt exactly the same as the 2020. i guess it's not a car for me. I can't imagine driving it everyday and correcting left and right just trying going straight all the time. Too much
thanks for the clarification...!
You could always go back and verify if it had the new box yourself. If you look up from under the front end and see a silver box that the Pittman arm is connected to, it’s the old one. If it’s black, it’s new.
It could also have been a case of over inflated tires. Many times they have way too much pressure and drive like crap as a result.
Last option, check another dealer. Heck, test drives are free!!!

Sponsored

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
So how do you get a hold of FCA? I'm familiar with working with JeepCares, but not FCA. Or are they the same? I've been approved for the TSB but the wait for parts has me in line until December
FCA is the overall owner of Jeep is all, that’s where Jeep dealers order their vehicles and parts from vs JeepCares is a program. They too will order parts from Jeep/FCA. That sucks it’s a wait until December... maybe parts are split up by region? I don’t understand how I can get one in 24 hours while you have to wait months. Or maybe the dealer is spacing out the repair on purpose?

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
...and also noticed they reused the original steering box bolts.
That is a bummer as I understand switching out the aluminum to the steel bolts reduce additional flex between the steering gear box and the frame. That’s a good reminder to check mine as well and make sure they didn’t reuse any bolts

B&Wpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited
I just dropped off at dealer this morning.
Tec said has to be test drive. I hope he doesn't give me hard time. He told me , it first time with this TSB. Then I will wait what he says.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1600271307105

I think this is a TSB update

(credits to Dustin on Facebook JL Wrangler Group)
Definitely credits to Dustin for bringing all these updates to the forum. I didn’t include on the initial note since didn’t want him getting bombarded with messages :)

Sponsored

97redjeep

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, slightly modded 97 TJ, 2018 Power Wagon, 99 2500 24V
So this might be a silly question, but is this TSB North America wide? I talked to my salesman and his reply was “This isn't an active recall on your Jeep, I just had service run your VIN, so until it is, I can't get them to do it. “. While it isn’t horrible to drive, my lightly modded TJ on 40s drives 10x straighter down the road than this brand new JL with 2700km on it, it drives more like my 98 24v, as I said manageable, but not quite what I’d expect from a $60k NEW Jeep.

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
So this might be a silly question, but is this TSB North America wide? I talked to my salesman and his reply was “This isn't an active recall on your Jeep, I just had service run your VIN, so until it is, I can't get them to do it. “. While it isn’t horrible to drive, my lightly modded TJ on 40s drives 10x straighter down the road than this brand new JL with 2700km on it, it drives more like my 98 24v, as I said manageable, but not quite what I’d expect from a $60k NEW Jeep.
TSBs are not recalls. Not sure why your dealer isn't honoring a TSB.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
So the dealership I bought my Wrangler from is now ignoring JeepCares and my calls. Guess I'll have to go down there and see what the issue is.

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
You might not expect this either but it’s gonna happen apparently. This is mine one day after getting it back from having the steering TSB done.

The FCA ownership experience is starting to get a little stale for my taste unfortunately.

A1B39A90-BC8D-46D3-9FAD-E7836589EBE5.jpeg

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
That's one way you can tell the difference even if an aluminum box has been painted black.
Sponsored