Sponsored

2021 Jeep with major paint issues (hardtop)!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I wouldn’t have a problem with it being repainted at a high quality body shop experienced with fiberglass and composites. The top would absolutely have to come of and the windows would have to be removed. No way would I want it painted while still on the Jeep. The Freedom panels my need to be resprayed too so that they match. It almost looks like a black hardtop was painted white.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Just picked up a 2021 JLU Rubicon with the color matched hard top on Saturday. It was pouring rain so I didn't spend any time looking at Jeep before I signed the purchase contract. Washed off the Jeep yesterday in my driveway and noticed that the painted hardtop is absolutely terrible. There are globs of paint running down the seams and channels of the hardtop. In some spots, the black base coat is bleeding through.

I am visiting my dealership tonight after work. Has anyone had a similar experience/problem with their painted hardtop? What was the resolution? Should I be dealing with the dealership or FCA directly? I would not have bought this Jeep had I noticed these paint issues (would've looked for another one without issues). How something slips past quality control on a $56K (msrp) vehicle is beyond me.
By
Just picked up a 2021 JLU Rubicon with the color matched hard top on Saturday. It was pouring rain so I didn't spend any time looking at Jeep before I signed the purchase contract. Washed off the Jeep yesterday in my driveway and noticed that the painted hardtop is absolutely terrible. There are globs of paint running down the seams and channels of the hardtop. In some spots, the black base coat is bleeding through.

I am visiting my dealership tonight after work. Has anyone had a similar experience/problem with their painted hardtop? What was the resolution? Should I be dealing with the dealership or FCA directly? I would not have bought this Jeep had I noticed these paint issues (would've looked for another one without issues). How something slips past quality control on a $56K (msrp) vehicle is beyond me.
There are all kinds of people in the world. Some care and some could care less. Pride in your work is a personal thing. FCA leadership really leaves a lot to be desired. The problem is, Jeep is a hot item and until something else comes along (and it will) or leadership changes, it will stay the same.
I ordered my 2020 2 dr Rubi and was lucky with the paint. I actually think it is great so far. The dealer did change the 8.4 radio/nav with a new one but it has the same lat/long /alt gps problem. Supposedly an update to correct it is coming in the 4th qtr. new steering box on order per TSB. Really love my Rubi like everyone else loves theirs.
The dealer accepted your jeep at the dealership and from your pictures needs a complete repaint. Jeep needs to repaint or replace per order. I personally would go straight to the top. To many layers in between designed to keep the complaints down. That's your decision. Jeep needs to be restructured and purchased by a caring entity with all dealers under the factory. Maybe when the Bronco hits the market there could be a awakening. However we all know there will be problems in the beginning also. Just depends on if Ford promptly and politely takes care of their customer. Good luck with your Jeep.

foxredlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Sorry for this to be my first post but the QC really sucks IMO. I have a hood that was spot corrected in the factory and then clear coated over. Clear is very good but the metal flakes in the Crystal Granite base go different directions in a couple of spots on the hood. Disapointing, give the cost of the Jeep but I think QC sucks everywhere these days. No one gives a shit.
You gotta hand it to FCA though. They’ve conditioned many of their consumers to accept their lack of quality control via “It’s a Jeep thing”.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep doesn’t make squat. Outside suppliers make the tops, the frames, the axles, the seats, the dashboard, the plastic fenders and bumpers, the wheels, the HVAC, the sound system, etc., etc.

I believe the only things FCA makes are the engines, the transmissions (under license from ZF AG), the transfer cases, and perhaps stamps its own steel body panels.

Aluminum parts, like the doors, hood and tailgate, are likely made by someone else, too.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Jeep doesn’t make squat. Outside suppliers make the tops, the frames, the axles, the seats, the dashboard, the plastic fenders and bumpers, the wheels, the HVAC, the sound system, etc., etc.

I believe the only things FCA makes are the engines, the transmissions (under license from ZF AG), the transfer cases, and perhaps stamps its own steel body panels.

Aluminum parts, like the doors, hood and tailgate, are likely made by someone else, too.
So basically we need to sue every one. Which if warrantied go for it. If you are manufacturing faulty parts you deserve what you get.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
You gotta hand it to FCA though. They’ve conditioned many of their consumers to accept their lack of quality control via “It’s a Jeep thing”.
For this reason, we hope the Bronco is a success. The competition may push FCA to improve. Right now there is little incentive for them to do so.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
This may be a tad off topic but I bought a 2002 f350 new. A few years later the paint started to bubble and orange peel. The clincher came when I went in for a windshield replacement. This was 15 years after I bought it. I was asked when did I replace the windshield because it wasn't installed correctly. I said never. The dealership went back through the records and disclosed that the truck was damaged in transit. Long story short, new paint for the truck and new windshield no cost. Ford backed me up for this.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
FCA appears to be in total denial of the “inconsistent” quality and crap customer service they provide.
If I still decide to keep mine around after the warranty runs out like if there's no worthwhile new wrangler to get at that point, I'll be slowly ripping out the factory electronics and replacing them with owner serviceable ones.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
If I still decide to keep mine around after the warranty runs out like if there's no worthwhile new wrangler to get at that point, I'll be slowly ripping out the factory electronics and replacing them with owner serviceable ones.
Let me know how that goes. I believe in order to go backwards you would start with the engine replacement and computer. I actually think with the right smart person it can be done. Lite brite did it with a Hemi.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Let me know how that goes. I believe in order to go backwards you would start with the engine replacement and computer. I actually think with the right smart person it can be done. Lite brite did it with a Hemi.
Most Hemi swaps keep the original electronics. To do this properly you'll need something like a MoTeC and you could probably keep your Pentastar too.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Most Hemi swaps keep the original electronics. To do this properly you'll need something like a MoTeC and you could probably keep your Pentastar too.
Could you explain a little more I am old school. If you keep the pen taster and computer with the electronics you would have the stop start crap and associated weight.
Sponsored