Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Hey everyone,

I have a rather strange issue that I have not seen elsewhere on the forum that I am hoping someone can help with. I just installed the Mopar AUX switch kit in my 2019 JLU and I used the Tazer JL (version 11.1.5) to enable the switches in the Uconnect menu. Double checked my work, checked for voltage and the AUX switches lighting up. All was working well until I noticed my ESS system now continually states "Start/Stop Not Ready Battery Charging" and the ESS is entirely disabled. Some might consider this a blessing, but something is not right. I did not have time to mess with it last night and on my drive to work this morning I got the ESS error light pop on the dash after driving for about an hour and change. I pulled over into a parking lot, shut the Jeep down and restarted and the error went away. The ESS system in the dash still stated the same "Start/Stop Not Ready Battery Charging" which I thought was odd that it would continue stating that after an hour plus drive. Voltage reading appeared normal anywhere from 13.8-14.1.

Fast forward to when I got home tonight and after a 1.5hr drive the ESS light did not come back on so I started investigating. I am aware that the orange wire in the AUX switch kit can be a pain so I went and ran through the entire instructions manual a second time to make sure I did not miss something. I know that there can be an ESS error that occurs when this kit is installed if the orange wires aren't seated. After troubleshooting for some time I ended up undoing the coding changes with the Tazer for the AUX switch enable and took it for a drive. Immediately the ESS system jumped back to life and was back working the moment I left the driveway and no longer am I getting the "Start/Stop Not Ready Battery Charging" in the dash.

I thought this was odd and tried to search for the issue online and came up empty. I have since attempted to enable the AUX switches via the Tazer JL again and got the same results. I even went as far as depinning the two orange wire connectors and sticking them directly to one another instead of using the provided plugs and got no change. I ended up going through all of my work a third time and couldn't find anything wrong with the install. Is this a Tazer issue? Do I need to take it to the dealer for the flash or what? My last idea is to flash the tazer to the latest version and see if that has any impact.

Completely out of ideas here. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After going back through everything again the plug on the back of the switch bank was cracked on the inside so I am assuming the terminals weren't making sufficient connections. I had to cross reference plugs to make sense of what was needed. The part that comes with the kit is a Delphi 10 pin OCS female connector but has no part numbers. After doing some research Delphi is now known as Aptiv and I believe the correct part number is Aptiv 15514821 should anyone run into the same issue. Plug will be here Tuesday and I will report back if the issue is resolved or not. Pictures attached of the replacement plug (hope I did my cross checking properly).

aptiv 15514821 rear.png

aptiv 15514821 front.png

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple of pictures of the orange plugs at the wiring passthrough side just in case I'm missing something here. I've triple checked these and they are all full seated as far as I can tell.

Female plug from AUX harness is inserted into the factory body side connector. Correct orientation of the wire in the plug, fully seated up against the front surface of the plug. Same amount of wire looseness as the factory wires that are untouched as well.

New plugs have the body side orange female connector and the male connector from the AUX harness in slots 1 of the new plugs. Blanks are installed per instructions with no interference with plug matting surfaces and harness clips together tightly. Wires on both sides are tight against one another.

Trying to think this through as thoroughly as possible. I have gone back and checked the fender ground connection in the engine bay and it appears to be good as well.

I will install the new plug when it arrives and continue testing. I wonder if the ground on the fender isn't making a good enough connection and I should move it to one of the other grounds next to it? Still unsure of what the real issue is here.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL & Mopar AUX Switch/ESS Issue 20200912_160614

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL & Mopar AUX Switch/ESS Issue 20200912_160724

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL & Mopar AUX Switch/ESS Issue 20200912_160729

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL & Mopar AUX Switch/ESS Issue 20200912_160853

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am continually amazed at the talented “technicians’ that we have on this site. Congrats on both installing the switches and diagnosing the problem. This is so far above my pay grade that I really just marvel at stuff like this......

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plug is correct for the application if anyone is wondering.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Are you all fixed then? Not sure I would have been any help but I did wire my own aux switched and activated them with a tazer.

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey everyone, here is the follow up as promised. Wired in the new Aptiv 15514821 10 pin plug for behind the dash and verified all pin mating surfaces were at the proper angle to make optimal contact with the switch. Put everything back together and programmed with the Tazer and everything came to life as expected. The Stop/Start system began functioning again as normal and the AUX switches are working as designed.

If anyone in the future is doing this AUX switch kit and gets the same ESS error message as I did check the plug behind the dash. The plug that comes with the kit is an older design and I found the pins in the new revision plug (Aptiv 15514821) fit much tighter. The problem was the pins not sitting tight in the plug as my plug was cracked and broken on the inside allowing pin 9 (orange wire) to move freely. Pin slots 8 & 9 were broken on my plug. Not sure if it is a manufacturing defect or what but I purchased the kit new and the wires went into the plug once. I never noticed it until I removed the back cap and silicone weather proofing and then it was clearly visible. Very strange.

Any questions at all get in contact with me or post in the thread and I will get back to you. Hope this helps anyone in the future doing this project and getting funky ESS and intermittent AUX power errors. Happy Jeep'n!

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you all fixed then? Not sure I would have been any help but I did wire my own aux switched and activated them with a tazer.
I am after troubleshooting everything and ordering the replacement plug. I gave the broken defective plug to my wife and told her to bury it as far down in the trash as humanly possible lol. Stupid time vampire.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I am after troubleshooting everything and ordering the replacement plug. I gave the broken defective plug to my wife and told her to bury it as far down in the trash as humanly possible lol. Stupid time vampire.
Hahaha. When I installed mine, I didn’t have my Tazer yet. Had no way to even test if I did it right. Weeks later, activated and all good. When I did my factory towing kit.... I spent hours chasing why it wasn’t working and ended up being a blown fuse. Ha. Glad you’re working.

Bombero19

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I installed the AUX switches this past weekend and am having similar issues. The ESS light and message on dash and no power or function of the AUX switches. Is the connection that you replaced the one that plugs into the switch panel? On the gray connector in the passenger footwell where the orange wires were moved The new wire that goes into the connector won’t snap into place. I’ve checked the + & - connections and all seemed right. I’ve run through the Tazer program several times with no improvement. I haven’t updated the Tazer since I installed it last year.
Great post, very clear description and clear photos. Thanks

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the AUX switches this past weekend and am having similar issues. The ESS light and message on dash and no power or function of the AUX switches. Is the connection that you replaced the one that plugs into the switch panel? On the gray connector in the passenger footwell where the orange wires were moved The new wire that goes into the connector won’t snap into place. I’ve checked the + & - connections and all seemed right. I’ve run through the Tazer program several times with no improvement. I haven’t updated the Tazer since I installed it last year.
Great post, very clear description and clear photos. Thanks
When you de-pinned the connector did you make sure you did not break the plastic tab on the inside that locks the cable in place? Also, make sure it is correctly orientated when pushing it into the plug and its not upside down. If this cable isn't making a proper connection it will pop the ESS light. As for the connector I replaced, it was the plug in the dash for the AUX switch bank itself. Mine arrived broken and wouldn't allow the cables to make a proper connection when pressing the plug into the AUX switch bank. There was an issue with the early Tazer software that it would not properly enable the AUX switch settings, if at all. Definitely update your firmware it is always best practice to do so (even though I didn't do this until later in my hunt for the issue). Hope that helps. Any other questions let me know and ill help the best I can.

Bombero19

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thanks for your guidance. I’ll go back to the gray plug in the footwell and work on it some more with a proper pick. And I’ll re-check the plug that you replaced in the center dash.

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your guidance. I’ll go back to the gray plug in the footwell and work on it some more with a proper pick. And I’ll re-check the plug that you replaced in the center dash.
You are very welcome. Any questions let me know.

marcodhm

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Wraith,

I’m more than thankful for your post and the details on it, I have the exact same issue with my installing, my Gladiator came with no Aux from stock, so I purchased the part from Mopar, when wiring I ran into the same thing with that plug and I even connected them straight without using the conector, I got the same ESS error and no leds on the AUX buttons will light up. I was reading other forums and threads and they talk about some fuses on the box that might be blown, when I went ti look at the fuse box I have no such fuses and even the terminals are not ready to place fuses there which made sense since my Jeep was not ready from stock for this aux bank switch, I kept reading all this threads were they just install the switch, used the tazer to enabled the Aux options and that’s it worked like a charm. I’m wondering if it is the plug that is outdated like yours.

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wraith,

I’m more than thankful for your post and the details on it, I have the exact same issue with my installing, my Gladiator came with no Aux from stock, so I purchased the part from Mopar, when wiring I ran into the same thing with that plug and I even connected them straight without using the conector, I got the same ESS error and no leds on the AUX buttons will light up. I was reading other forums and threads and they talk about some fuses on the box that might be blown, when I went ti look at the fuse box I have no such fuses and even the terminals are not ready to place fuses there which made sense since my Jeep was not ready from stock for this aux bank switch, I kept reading all this threads were they just install the switch, used the tazer to enabled the Aux options and that’s it worked like a charm. I’m wondering if it is the plug that is outdated like yours.
I cannot say for certain as I only have experience with the one kit, but after replacing the plug I had zero issues. You are welcome! Hopefully it helps others in the future if they run into the same issue.
Sponsored