I think I purchased too much Jeep?

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I do not even know how to start this thread.

So I recently purchased a 2020 Rubicon Recon. I think I needed a mall crawler! Based on my job, family life etc I doubt I will get off road much if at all.

So the recon is fully loaded, but I think it is too much Jeep. I think what I really want is a Diesel Sahara.

I know I will take a huge hit on the Rubicon if I trade it in.

What I want to do with the Sahara is to put on Rubicon take off wheels and a Rubicon hood, not lift just a different look. I will do a lot of over road and have had many diesels vehicles in the past.

So two questions

1 - How hard is it to do those modifications on a Sahara - Front and Rear steel bumpers (will parking sensors still work) and Rubicon hood? Are those mods possible
2 - Am I crazy to want to change Jeeps? I just think the Rubicon it too much and I will never use all of the features etc.

Thoughts?

How would I approach building a Sahara like that? Thanks in advance for the comments/help.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The mods can be done fairly easily if you are fairly handy. But why?

drive your Rubicon with pride. Who cares if you won’t use the lockers?

i take my Rubicon down bunny slopes. I don’t need any of its capabilities. Why did I buy it? I like the looks. period.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
So the recon is fully loaded, but I think it is too much Jeep. I think what I really want is a Diesel Sahara.
Well it’s your money so you’ve got to make the decision that’s right for you.
2 - Am I crazy to want to change Jeeps? I just think the Rubicon it too much and I will never use all of the features etc.
I am glad that you’re honest enough with yourself to admit that you’re paying for something you may never use. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I’m more surprised that the above thought never crossed your mind during the many failed attempts to get your Wrangler.

At the end of the day, you and only you can decide what’s best for you. The direction you want to go seems silly and if it were me, I’d keep the Rubi Recon. I may not need the lockers but they’re nice to have and are there if ever needed.

Sponsored

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 firecracker red Sahara (sold); 2021 Sting Gray Rubicon (ordered)
Keep your Recon; it looks way better than any Sahara IMHO. I had a 2018 Sahara with the basic things that I needed and thought I don't need a rubicon because I don't off road maybe overland. I found myself slowly pumping money in my truck to make look like a rubicon and let me tell you that you'll never be satisfied with the mods, you will always find something missing. I sold it and custom ordered a 2021 rubicon with every option that I wanted so I don't have to modded like I did and have a nice clean look. its my daily driver and it makes me happy. Bottom line is you have a great truck and an optioned out Rubicon; if that doesn't make you happy no other trim will.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
I do not even know how to start this thread.

So I recently purchased a 2020 Rubicon Recon. I think I needed a mall crawler! Based on my job, family life etc I doubt I will get off road much if at all.

I know I will take a huge hit on the Rubicon if I trade it in.

What I want to do with the Sahara is to put on Rubicon take off wheels and a Rubicon hood, not lift just a different look. I will do a lot of over road and have had many diesels vehicles in the past.

So two questions

1 - How hard is it to do those modifications on a Sahara - Front and Rear steel bumpers (will parking sensors still work) and Rubicon hood? Are those mods possible

Thoughts?

How would I approach building a Sahara like that? Thanks in advance for the comments/help.
Keep the Rubicon! Getting those mods on a Sahara is possible but it wont be cheap or backed by an as good of a warranty. I also bought a Rubicon for looks and will rarely go off road. I love the Jeep even more the longer I own it. It’s like fine wine. Older it’s getting, the better it’s getting for me!

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Just keep it, take it down some forest service dirt roads, drive it when it snows, take it to the beach.
That's some of what me and the wife do with our Rubicon and we have a heck of a good time .

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
If you're trying to save money then stick with your Rubi.
It's better to have and not need. Unless you have some sort of insane OCD where you absolutely cannot have extra features that you don't use

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
You’re not crazy to want it different than it is. In fact, I’m in the same boat- just the opposite direction.

I bought the Rubi because I wanted the lockers, gear ratio, transfer case, sway bar disconnect and higher fender clearance. I didn’t want all the stupid red stuff. It’s not a popular opinion around here, but I feel like the Rubi package looks like it was visually designed by a teenage boy.

I’m working on “de-flashing” everything.The only red thing left in the jeep i the dash and I’d love to swap that out with someone who wants a red one.

By the end of the year the only thing that will look like a Rubicon will be the grill (which I prefer the Rubicon to the Sport).

So, make it yours. It’s for you not anyone else.

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
You’re not crazy to want it different than it is. In fact, I’m in the same boat- just the opposite direction.

I bought the Rubi because I wanted the lockers, gear ratio, transfer case, sway bar disconnect and higher fender clearance. I didn’t want all the stupid red stuff. It’s not a popular opinion around here, but I feel like the Rubi package looks like it was visually designed by a teenage boy.

I’m working on “de-flashing” everything.The only red thing left in the jeep in the dash and I’d love to swap that out with someone who wants a red one.

By the end of the year the only thing that will look like a Rubicon will be the grill (which I prefer the Rubicon to the Sport).
I have a regular one! I will swap with you!

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
+1 on keeping the Recon.
I was leaning towards a Sahara as well but getting it loaded up to the level of a Rubicon it just made more sense to me to fork out a little extra towards a Rubicon Recon and not worry about doing anything to mess up the warranty. Nearly all of the Sahara's I looked at too that had the options I wanted also had leather and I HATE leather.

95% of the time I'm not gonna be using the lockers or sway bar disconnect, but I bought it so that I can fully enjoy my Jeep that 5% of the time. Plus bonus, it's a Recon. I don't run into other Recon's often, granted it's a cosmetics package, but still kinda cool to have a "limited" edition. Extra bonus, I wasn't a fan of the red dash so having the Recon come with the black dash but keeping the red seatbelts is a huge win in my book.

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
Life is too short to be unhappy. Just be honest with yourself before you make a decision. Buy the vehicle you would drive if you were the last person the planet....or if everyone on earth was blind except you....you get the point. Drive what you want, not what you THINK makes you look cool etc.

I drive Jeeps because I love the top down, doors off experience. I flat out wouldn’t own one that didn’t live 99% of the time in that configuration. For me, my daily drivers are Toyota 4Runners and Tacoma’s. My Jeeps, even my new JLR when it gets here, will be nothing more than a toy. A motorcycle that I can take the whole family in and still wear flip flops and have a cold drink in the cup holder.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If you're trying to save money then stick with your Rubi.
It's better to have and not need. Unless you have some sort of insane OCD where you absolutely cannot have extra features that you don't use
Thanks. LOL - I probably do have insane OCD!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I chose a Sahara and drive it with pride. I owned several Wranglers over the years, both Rubicons and Saharas, and learned first-hand that Sahara gives me exactly what I want. I prefer Sahara’s comfort and more understated, more classic Jeep look to Rubicon’s overdone high fenders and hood scoops. And it takes me everywhere I want to go.

Having said that, now that you own a Rubicon, why do you want to swap? What do you think you will gain at this point? Especially if you like the looks of Rubicon so much? Your Rubicon won’t get offended that you don’t off-road. What about the diesel you think you need to drive to the mall? Read up the posts on EcoDiesel; owning one is not all a bed of roses.

From what we can tell, you are going to take a huge financial hit for no good reason.
Sponsored