'19 JLU

davidsrosser

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
The worst part is the routing thru the firewall. I followed Quadratec video for the process but I'd advise reviewing the Mopar instruction sheet for that step. The Mopar instructions show exactly where you need to poke a small hole for the "red" wire that has to be chased from the rear to the fuse distribution bank. If I"m rating I'd say a 3, as long as you take your time and follow the video everything is pretty simple. Took me about 3.5 hrs to complete the install. I fought with getting thru the firewall for about 40mins though before I looked at the Mopar instructions! Not a big deal but I'd also review the Mopar instruction sheet for the wire tie placement as the Quadratec video doesn't really specify the location for each type of tie when attaching the harness to the frame.
Thank you so much! Appreciate the tips. Will definitely plan on a 5 hour effort given my poor vision and being an impatient sort I'll have to walk away a few times :)

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you so much! Appreciate the tips. Will definitely plan on a 5 hour effort given my poor vision and being an impatient sort I'll have to walk away a few times :)
I routed my wire inside the frame and up through the front wheel well... had read too many horror stories about trying to fish it through the firewall....

Barely Krawlified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Went under my JLUR today and changed out the transfer case fluid. I’ve only got around 9,000 miles on the clock but mainly because I was looking for an excuse to wrench in the garage I decided this would be an great time to complete this task.

I ended up going with Redline C+ATF fluid but only because I was given a couple of bottles by a friend.

6C0B1FFB-3200-4B7E-BCD9-57A3CEB1C3DF.jpeg

2 quarts of ATF+4 fluid meeting the Chrysler MS-9602 standard is all you’ll need fluid wise. Valvoline, Pennzoil, MoPar, and other manufacturers offer a wide selection of great choices at much cheaper prices than the Redline.

If you do go with Redline, two things - first, it doesn’t carry the official MS-9602 certification (important to some folks; apparently due to business reasons as opposed to quality). Secondly, a standard quart size hand pump (essential for dispensing the fluid neatly into the fill port) won’t screw securely to the Redline quart size bottles.

I kinda prioritize a mess-free experience (at the expense of time) and so I ended up funneling the Redline fluid into empty standard size quart bottles. It was an extra step but it made the filling process completely mess and drama free.

You’ll also need a 10mm hex bit, a torque wrench, a drain pan and if you have a JLUR you’ll want to definitely consider acquiring these two things for the job:

1) Flexible fluid funnel:

E12D0EE0-0613-4D99-BA41-46816929495C.jpeg

2) 12 inch extension bar for your wrench

EEC7CB69-4250-40DC-A029-26B8E337F24C.jpeg

The skid plate makes emptying the fluid a chore to do without spilling it. One option is to remove the skid plate altogether or perhaps maybe as few as a couple of bolts on it to “swing” it out of the way (or so I’ve read).

Another approach (the one I chose) is to use a flexible/malleable funnel which allows you to position the funnel between the skid plate and the bottom of the transfer case. Within a few seconds, the funnel can be easily manipulated through a slot in the skid plate and contoured perfectly into a pre-positioned drain pan on the ground.

The result for me was not a drop of fluid was spilled and not a single bolt was turned on the skid plate when draining the old fluid.

The 12” extension bar is to make it easier to use the torque wrench (it can be tight fit under there) to loosen/reapply the drain and fill bolts to factory spec. The length of the factory skid plate can make getting a good turn on the wrench a major accomplishment and a 12” extension bar was just what the doctor ordered.

Last edited:

CactusDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2017 Porsche 911
Build Thread
Link

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Thanks! That was the thing bothering me after installing them. I'm thinking I should have bought the Destroyer style, but it seems like those won't hold up as well as a rock slider.
No problem. Nah, the Signature series sliders look way better than the Destroyers in my opinion, I did go with the Destroyer rear bumper though. They will definitely hold up, I've pivoted over several large boulders on them with nothing more than a scratch in the powder coat.

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

No problem. Nah, the Signature series sliders look way better than the Destroyers in my opinion, I did go with the Destroyer rear bumper though. They will definitely hold up, I've pivoted over several large boulders on them with nothing more than a scratch in the powder coat.
Just put my signatures on last week...the pinch seam thing is bugging me. Super happy with the LOD stuff though...probably going front and rear destroyer bumpers over the winter.