Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I don't know how long it would actually take someone who is familiar with it. First time will definitely take longer.

But I have heard people in the business say they can make more on warranty work if they write it up a certain way. So maybe they just increase their labor rate.
Labor hours and actual time to completion are rarely in agreement.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
This right here sums it up nicely. I have a 2013 JKU, 3 inch lift, 35’s and it drives much better than the wife’s 2020 Willys.
When we got it at the dealer, I was unaware of the steering box issues. Initially, I chalked it up to the tires being set to 41 psi cold at the dealer.
Dropped the pressure to the placard 37psi, but I still fought it the entire 136 mile drive home.
Found the thread about the fuse pull to reset the steering assist. That helped, but it still didn’t drive as well as my 2013, which I find completely unacceptable. Every model year should improve upon the previous, and going from JK to JL should be a total upgrade.
That all being said, her Jeep gets the new box Tuesday.
I'll bet you'll find the new box narrows or closes the gap. Keep us posted!

I do think the JL rides better, though, and I know for a fact it has a significantly tighter turning radius. So there was at least a couple small improvements, IMO.

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
For those that are having this completed. If you develop a clunky feeling, Check that the track bar is tight. Mine although tight was moving and creating some driving issues. Drove great after TSB was done drove even better after bar was tightened.
The axle housing should not move from side to side when parked and someone turns the wheels from lock to lock.

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I recommend everyone that has had their steering box replaced check the torque on their sector shaft nut and the bolts holding the box to the frame. My sector shaft was maybe around 100 ft lbs and the frame bolts were very loose. I also have no power steering fluid in my tank.

Last edited:

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I recommend everyone that has had their steering box replaced check the torque on their sector shaft nut and the bolts holding the box to the frame. My sector shaft was maybe around 100 ft lbs and the frame bolts were very loose. I also have no power steering fluid in my tank.
Stevie Wonder could of done a better job replacing your steering box than your Jeep dealership.

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
For anyone who's been following and debating about getting this done, i highly recommend it .

I got this done on Friday, and it's like driving a new car. It tracks straight with almost zero to minor wheel corrections. It's legit night and day difference with this steering box. The steering wheel is also tighter and responds properly when turning/changing lanes.

It only took 3 years, but this is the FIX!...Even if you have to wait in line at the dealership, I would recommend starting the process and involve Jeep Cares. JeepCares can also expedite a steering box to a dealership.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
So I have been driving up North on the weekends. The freeway gets curvy in several areas and I noticed I was driving this route with increased anxiety. I started noticing it was taking more effort to keep my Jeep in the lanes, though I tried to ignore it and told myself it’s just my imagination but I can’t ignore it anymore. I noticed I was gripping the steering wheel tightly with both hands through the curvy parts, which is a lot. I also noticed my dead spot seems to get more pronounced on the long drive. Feels like 3 inches of dead spot!

I will probably request one of the new steering boxes at some point. I don’t feel my case is urgent because otherwise I don’t have a problem driving my Jeep but now I get nervous on my drives up north. I need to take it in for a warranty issue (auto climate makes my Uconnect freeze up) so I will talk with them about it then. :crying::crying::crying::crying:
Jennalee, I hope you get this done. I had to white-knuckle my old Jeep and it got to the point that I didn’t take it anywhere. Yours sounds like it fits the criteria. Good luck!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I don't pretend to know their process, It's just a guess. Never been in that field of business. But it seems the smart ones are getting paid.
they up sell it and replace tie rods, track bars, stabilizers, drag links, etc while they’re in there. Several 0.5 hour items add up quick and the whole steering linkage comes apart in minutes.

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
For anyone who's been following and debating about getting this done, i highly recommend it .

I got this done on Friday, and it's like driving a new car. It tracks straight with almost zero to minor wheel corrections. It's legit night and day difference with this steering box. The steering wheel is also tighter and responds properly when turning/changing lanes.

It only took 3 years, but this is the FIX!...Even if you have to wait in line at the dealership, I would recommend starting the process and involve Jeep Cares. JeepCares can also expedite a steering box to a dealership.
I have reached out to Jeep Cares about expediting the steering box as I have been given an estimate of mid December. Hope they come thru for me.

Sponsored

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Dang. I just ordered a '21 Rubi two days ago so hopefully this will be 'fixed' on a new one.
Look under the hood for the steering box ending in AA... pass if its not updated or if it doesnt test drive really well.

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020

Got mine back... a slight improvement over the AE Box.. Definitely more consistent. Mine wasn't horrific to begin with. Dealer did not give me a hard time, ordered parts right away, said mine was the first. Downside they kept it 2 days - this dealership is always so busy. Wheel is a bit off center.. Going to try and adjust drag link myself but if not successful I will bring it back in - trying to avoid losing it another day.

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

If anyone with the new 2021 Rubicon could confirm which steering boxes they are putting in now that would be great. I should be having mine built in a couple of weeks.

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I get to pick up my JL today with the new steering box. Slightly annoyed that alignment isn't covered under the TSB, I get that what they are replacing shouldn't change the alignment but it seems like it should be a required step to ensure there are no further issues that would bring someone back to the service department.
Sponsored