roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It's been a few months since I fixed my visor with the push on retainer. I've been using it quite a bit and even treat it a bit rough on purpose. I also flip it to the side to cover the side window, which is probably what broke it in the first place. So far, it's held up.
jeep visor.jpg

Jludiesel334

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU ecoDIESEL ( on order 11-27)
Used the shaft collar method for mine. Looks and feels solid. Thanks for the idea. Was able to pick up one with homelink cheap!

4210BC6C-B574-4C30-BB15-77ACF7BB5D6F.jpeg

04CC1357-901D-404B-B4F7-04DFFF77DB67.jpeg

1D596462-3E17-4D2F-AB1A-CD6A950E7B45.jpeg

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just an update. My repaired visors are holding up great after about 7 months.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix jeep visor

GrATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, Sting Gray
These are great fixes! I had the same problem. Passenger side, I took to dealer. HUGE REGRET. Landmark in Atlanta on Peachtree Industrial is HORRIBLE. So I wasn't about to go back for the Driver visor repair.

I followed roaniecowpony's suggestions, but modified my repair a little. ANYONE is capable of doing this repair, just be patient. The REPAIR we all do is MUCH better than Jeep's solution.

Here is the original break:
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200801_182445

You need to remove a good bit of plastic from the shaft and from the mount. I removed about 3/8 of the plastic from the shaft.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200808_150611

Then, I had to remove enough plastic from the mount to allow for a metal washer. I did all the plastic removal with a dremel. Here is what the mount looked like after removing the plastic:
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200808_144120

Note that I removed plastic from ALL AROUND the shaft hole in order to fit the washer. Washer is simply a 5/16. I locktite super glued the washer to the plastic mount. Be careful. Let it set, and make sure it is centered. Here is what that looks like:
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200808_145720

Mine should have been slightly more centered, but it works in this position. The red paint is of no importance on the washer.

After 10 minutes, the glue was set. I added a SMALL amount of grease to the top of the washer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200808_151222

From there, I re-inserted the shaft (already trimmed to remove plastic and reveal 3/8 of metal). I dont know the amount of metal shaft that protrudes above the metal washer, but it will look like this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200808_151053

I bought 2 push washer / retention nuts from Home Depot for $1.00 each in the hardware section in the sliding drawers.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200808_143755

The cap is plastic. Drill a hole in the top large enough to allow the wires to come through (hold nut with channel locks on a table).
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200808_145316

The wires will pass through easily.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200808_145335

The red nut will pass over the shaft, pinch the shaft and hold it in place. BUT it needs to grab something on the shaft. I used to dremmel to carve/scratch a line around the shaft.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200808_151706

You can see a bit of the line on the shaft in the above photo.

You will have to really press hard to get the nut and lock washer down the shaft. The red nut MUST go all the way down to and TOUCH the washer that is super glued to the plastic mount. Any gap will allow wobble and rattle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200808_152229

I used an 11/16 deep socket, ran the wire through it and set it on the washer. Use it to push AT FIRST. Once it is on, get a rubber mallet, line it up, and smack it into place. One hit was enough to seat it properly, and a second one was for good measure. BE SURE TO PUT THE VISOR ON HARD GROUND AND PUT A TOWEL OR PAPER UNDER IT TO PROTECT FROM DAMAGE WHEN YOU STRIKE IT.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sun Visor Fix 20200808_152240

Verify that the red nut is all the way down.

That's it!! Just retrace your steps and re-install. Works like a champ!!

Hey FCA / Jeep - if you can't do better than this - if your VISORS break on new vehicles - Ford's Bronco will eat your lunch. DO BETTER.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Man this looks like a huge pain in the ass. Great job! It's crazy that they saved all of a few pennies to make them this crappy.

My guess is driving with it turned to the side window causes them to bounce a lot - well, that or just that they don't stick solidly to begin with.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@roaniecowpony
Thanks for putting this detailed thread together and thanks to the rest that added their ways to fix this pathetic way to hold a visor together :(
Wife had the visor fall out while I was driving a few days ago, not even going to the dealer for this as it's bound to be a recurring problem.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Had the drivers side last year and just had the passenger side yesterday, come on Jeep

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Dropped by the dealer this morning and they had 2 passenger visors in stock. Going in Tuesday for warranty replacement.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dropped by the dealer this morning and they had 2 passenger visors in stock. Going in Tuesday for warranty replacement.
I'm not screwing around w/ replacements from the dealer as the inherent weakness hasn't been fixed, just fixing them once & for all when they break :)

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not screwing around w/ replacements from the dealer as the inherent weakness hasn't been fixed, just fixing them once & for all when they break :)

Get it, I am stuck at home working so let them pay the bill and charge FCA. Enough of them and they may update the design. Just paying it forward to the next Jeep owners hopefully.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Get it, I am stuck at home working so let them pay the bill and charge FCA. Enough of them and they may update the design. Just paying it forward to the next Jeep owners hopefully.
Hopefully they'll get it remedied, TBH w/that current design I'm impressed that any of them are still connected & working.

JO DYRT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.clickonpc.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully they'll get it remedied, TBH w/that current design I'm impressed that any of them are still connected & working.

LOL, I agree. when I had my drivers side that had to order it. This time with the pass, they had them instock. So looks like more of them are failing. I am just not sure how they do not fail during assembly and when the dealer does their check in to remove all the shipping elements.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LOL, I agree. when I had my drivers side that had to order it. This time with the pass, they had them instock. So looks like more of them are failing. I am just not sure how they do not fail during assembly and when the dealer does their check in to remove all the shipping elements.
Probably a secret memo to handle them like brittle glass :(
Sponsored