Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
This means that the front windshield is pushed towards the bonnet through the front knobs
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
This means that the front windshield is pushed towards the bonnet through the front knobs
Don’t know for sure, it seems to just push forward after the 4 bolts are removed with no added features to retain it or assist with the process of folding.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
WOW ! I love the EVIC , altimeter. Lat/Longitude, all vehicle Information. FANTASTIC !
So much information, THANK YOU

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Argh !! :angry:

Fuel capacity was not only Not increased on the JLU, it was actually DECREASED from 85L to 81L ! FAQ !!! :headbang:

JL fuel capacity remains the same at 70.5L. I was hoping for a boost closer to 100L for greater range. Definitely makes extended fuel tanks options for JLU of interest from the aftermarket.

JK Capacities (gallons listed are larger Imp Gal as noted, not US)

C71B121F-A4AD-4C60-A405-3E02930399EC.jpeg

New JL Capacities

DDD47CB8-4EA2-46FE-A6FC-A86663512EB5.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
For those hoping for a complete automatic top, I think you are looking at a setup similar to the Liberty. That's a nice system, but it's not for me. I'm sticking with dual tops or just the soft top.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The fact that the Power Hardtop is NOT removeable , just the rear quarter windows, is interesting. I look forward to seeing it, it's an option for many with Overlanding interests, and those in Fickle Weather areas.
The Zipperless Soft top was previewed by BestTops Glide, so maybe the Trek Top Pro will be an option later in the production run.
Still CARPETS after all these years ?? Grrr

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
So then there's no way to expose the whole jeep cage with power top?

freegld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I'm wondering if I should get a JK. I'm just thinking aloud here - feel free to tell me how unreasonable I'm being:

- Selec-Trac only sends power to rear wheels, and upon slippage, sends to front. This system is on the renegade if I recall - an inferior AWD system . NOT WORTH IT
- Safety: JL has beefier roll cage, but only the knee airbags are new. No curtains. JK has comparable side airbags, and it looks like rear seats where the kids will be may not have side airbags. WASH
- hardtop the same damn thing, JL softop is a bad fit, power top is non removable. ADVANTAGE JK
- 8 speed transmission is better economy, but at higher price point. WASH
- updated pentastar specs are roughly the same, hurricane engine HP most likely typo - better economy but higher sticker and takes 91 fuel. ADVANTAGE JK
- didn't someone say backup camera has to be standard on 2018 JK's? WASH
- creature comforts. ADVANTAGE JL
- JL suspension much beefier, no lift required for 35's. ADVANTAGE JL

JK: 2 JL:2

Last edited:

Uscolt45

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Renegade
I have the Renegade and while it is usually front wheel drive and adding power to the back when needed, you can also “lock” it into 4WD with the push of a button. My main gripe here aside from front wheel drive (no fun) is you have to select your 4WD option every time you turn the car off and back on.

The good news is you will probably be able to find the 2018 on lots for a while to come. Lots of nice units ordered by people here, and then cancelled to grab a JL lol.

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dodge Nitro R/T 4X4 (My Fake Jeep), 2010 Dodge Journey R/T, 1962 Imperial
Wow, Wow, Wow , Nice "Find".
Wonder if was a "Slight" Oversight by someone?
Read about 1/2 of them.
Very Intresting Read !

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
- Selec-Trac only sends power to rear wheels, and upon slippage, sends to front. This system is on the renegade if I recall - an inferior AWD system
Renegade does not use the same system, it can’t it’s FWD. We don’t know what SelecTrac is, but it’s not ActiveDrive in the Renegade, but also not an NV242 if it’s detecting things vs the clutch pack working. Likely a VC or electromechanical system, but unknown what it is, some are better than others.

This being a RWD vehicle with manually selectable full-time 4WD yet still having a part-time 4Hi and 4Lo option makes it different than other Jeep systems currently out there.

https://www.jeep.ca/en/4x4basics/systemwork

- Safety: JL has beefier roll cage, but only the knee airbags are new. No curtains. JK has comparable side airbags, and it looks like rear seats where the kids will be may not have side airbags. WASH
Likely not equal. More details will be required and the IIHS/NHTSA results will speak volumes, but likely not equal, though possible closer than expected.

- 8 speed transmission is better economy, but at higher price point.
Higher price point from what? We don’t know the auto premium yet, and if you mean higher price point for the JL in general, don’t ascribe it to the transmission.

- updated pentastar specs are roughly the same, hurricane engine HP most likely typo - better economy but higher sticker and takes 91 fuel.
Both function on 87 Octane fuel, 91 if prefered for the Turbo to get maximum performance, just like so many other engine out here. Pentastar specs are the same on the surface, but power delivery is better and efficiency should be better too.

- didn't someone say backup camera has to be standard on 2018 JK's?
Like so many other things, that was WRONG.
Backup cam is only on export JKs since 2015, no stock JK gets a backup camera in N.Am.

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Having trouble getting the full docs to load on iPad.... any info re: mpg?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having trouble getting the full docs to load on iPad.... any info re: mpg?
Nope no technical specs (no HP, Tq, MPG, performance numbers) other than towing capacity and shift points for manual transmission (vastly different 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 recommended shift speeds from the JK), implying different gear ratios/pread in the new 6spd.

* Since you’re having trouble viewing will post screen captures (towing capacity was posted earlier in the thread);

JK Shift Speeds;
345E1DB9-5758-4A66-9D40-1322CAD83DD4.jpeg

JL Shift Speeds:
5AD2559F-82EF-454B-B381-A600EDBE7C0C.jpeg

iOS 11 sucks now that they stopped opening pdfs in iBooks and letting you save there (default in iOS10), now just lets you save in pages or notes.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for digging up these manuals! Answers quite a few questions.

Notice that there was nothing about the CB pre wiring but then that's certainly not a deal breaker for me since the radios and antennas I plan on installing are not really standard issue HF gear.

I had pretty much settled on the current hard top so not having that change is good for me, I will take a long look at the new power top since removing the side windows would be interesting though now I'm not sure if that is only on the 4 door. Will have to go back and re-read the manual.

Fold down windshield! Heck yeah! Hmmm but then that would be a nicer combination with the soft top. Argh.

We have the 8 speed automatic in our Ram pickup and I like it a lot, very smooth and if it means a better top gear for cruising I think I can live with it vs a manual which I typically drive. One thing of note with the automatics at least in the Rams is that they have/had a tendency to not properly engage in park which has caused a number of accidents. Ours is a 2017 and brand new so we have not noticed or had this happen yet but we are very diligent about setting the parking brake. Of not on the Wrangler is the manual Park release which I found interesting. I do prefer the floor mounted gear shifter, I just can't warm up to the dashboard mounted rotary switch that the Ram pickups use, I find without looking directly at it that I can put it into the wrong position too easily, but this is not an issue on the Jeep thankfully.

At this point I am still on track to ordering a 2018 JL 2 door though I guess now it's going to be a matter of option packages, basically looking at the Sport with 32" tire package as the old package came with Rubicon wheels, tires and performance suspension. Granted if that is not offered I would go with bare bones steelies and immediately swap them out for 33's and aftermarket wheels. On a slightly different note, up here in Canada I am seeing a number of Jeeps and Rams on dealer lots with Mickey Thompson 33's and black wheels same wheel and tire package across multiple dealers which is interesting and see a few used Wranglers popping up with this wheel/tire combination as well.

I wish the diesel wasn't at year away order wise as that is something that I am on the fence about. Also am interested in just which body panels have been changed over to aluminum, one site mentioned all, while others talk about just the doors and hood. In my case not a consideration for weight but for rust resistance.

The Hurricane 4 turbo, for me at least I can't see going with that motor, not that I think it's a bad motor but I know how I drive and I know I won't be able to keep my foot out of it so any fuel saving I might have had with a 4 is going to be blown off by the joy of the boost from the turbo and that rush of power when it kicks in.

In any event I like what I see so far, now to get a test drive..... Wonder when the brochures will 'leak' oh and the service manuals should be turning up as well if the owner manuals are out in the wild now.

I thought on here I read something about a timeline which indicated that press packages were out in Sept, that makes sense since magazines have at least a month lead time. But they will be embargoed until the official release but I would expect to see magazines on the racks pretty much right at the moment the new Jeeps are officially released. Notice that JP magazine is nowhere to be seen up here right now.

Last edited:

kcjl

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC CRD
Looks like the license plate/bumper configuration is different in the manual. Pg 23 user manual
Sponsored