Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I take mine to the dealership on Sept 30th (CO dealers are so overcrowded this is the soonest I could get in).

This is actually a follow up visit from Sept 2019 when I took it in the have them repair/replace the rear defroster. I told them they would have to order the new glass but they insisted I bring it in. I dropped it off and after they had it for a whole day they told me it needed new glass and I can get the Jeep and they would order it. I never heard from them again.

So I take it in on the 30th for rear defroster and wander/play in the steering and suspect I'll get a similar run around. They'll have it for a day then they'll call me to tell me they ordered parts and I'll have to bring it in again. Wish me luck.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
A hammer is one of the worst tools to be freely accessible in a mechanics shop. It should be locked up and only the senior mechanic has the key. On the very rare occasion that a hammer is the right tool, it should never be used directly on the part. Striking a pickle fork to pop the taper on a ball joint, is an example.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This TSB is amazing. Completely different vehicle. I almost have to re-learn to drive this vehicle.

Ah, taking the long way again. "Honey, is everything okay? You said you were just running up for some milk, but that was 2 hours ago." :CWL:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
For those getting push back when the dealer says they compared it to another on the lot and say it's the same, have them compare it to a 2021 on the lot since those are the Jeeps with the proper steering box. If they say "It's a Jeep thing" on a 2018-2020, what will they say when they drive one that operates properly?
I’d ask then why is this the 3rd or 4th iteration of gearbox and the 2021’s will all be the latest part number that happens to now be cast iron? :like:

My diagnosis went well and the dealer is very cooperative and friendly about it.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So far things are going smoothly in the process. The diagnosis came back agreeing with doing the gearbox swap. They ordered the parts and now have them on hand. I’m scheduled for the repair on Tuesday. The service advisor read back the symptoms the TSB addresses so It sounds like we are on the same page. They’ve been really friendly so far.

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
check your total turns to lock left and right from center, make sure they got the gearbox on there straight.
I can do almost two full turns in both directions. I attached photos of where the wheel locks when turning left or right. Is it close enough?

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") wheel 2 copy

Last edited:

KarnaughMI

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Dropping mine off Sunday night for their diagnosis of this issue. When I called to make the appointment, the advisor didn't know anything about this TSB. *fingers crossed*

Also have to have them fix the broken passenger sun-visor, noisy transmission pump when cold, and to document the random radio reboots.

-Tom in NOVA

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Just wanted to add a new data point.
I had an appointment and I left the car at the dealership so that they could inspect it. They called me saying that they would perform the TSB and that the parts would arrive the day after. I was skeptical, as I read that these parts sometimes take weeks to arrive; I was afraid they would install another aluminum box. Fortunately, they installed the correct box and bolts (I visually verified).
It drives much better: almost no dead spot and no pull (it would previously pull a lot to the right); also, I don't need to keep adjusting the steering wheel anymore and everything feels tighter. This is how the Jeep should have left the factory.
The problem is that they left the steering wheel tilted 30 degrees to one side. I was able to fix it easily by adjusting the drag link, but IMHO that's unacceptable, as the average driver should or would not know how to do that.
Is this operation supposed to affect the position of the steering wheel?
Just got mine back.. Seems like an improvement over the AE Box on a 2020 Rubicon.. Big road trip tomorrow so will know for sure... My wheel is off center a bit to the left also... Was thinking about fixing myself versus losing another day at dealership.. I will try the "total turns" test first for sure..

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
So I got the jeep back today and I'm pretty sure those assholes put another aluminum box in. Can anyone confirm that part number P68250506AE is aluminum?
Confirmed

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
So I got the jeep back today and I'm pretty sure those assholes put another aluminum box in. Can anyone confirm that part number P68250506AE is aluminum?
yeah thats not the right one... I attached the TSB

Attachments

Reactions: DHW

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Is this the part number they put on the paperwork too?
Sponsored