Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
what size gas tank will these have and any info on what is needed to charge these at home? local dealer had a pacifica in the shop, they were charging it, cable off 220v fed a module with a transformer and dc converter and output cable plugging into the car, looked like one could wire a 220 receptacle to garage or exterior wall.

any info on this?
Sponsored

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
what size gas tank will these have and any info on what is needed to charge these at home? local dealer had a pacifica in the shop, they were charging it, cable off 220v fed a module with a transformer and dc converter and output cable plugging into the car, looked like one could wire a 220 receptacle to garage or exterior wall.

any info on this?
I think someone earlier in this thread said something about 16 gallons. I've since seen an article that says 4.3 gallons less than standard. I take this to mean 21.5 - 4.3 = 17.2 gallons.

Charging at home should (assuming they follow the Pacifica model) be via an included plug that uses a standard 110V outlet and charges in ~12 hours. You could install a level 2 charger which uses 220V (sounds like this is what you saw). That should charge in about 2 hours.

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
... Could the loss of access to battery capacity be made up for by regenerative braking on the EPA test cycle? Perhaps. What exactly is the EPA test cycle? I'm looking into this.
Yeah, I just quoted myself, and here we go...

Is this confirmed anywhere? I assumed it got 50MPGe in hybrid mode not just in full electric mode.
I based my statement on the following (bold added by me):

"The label for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles displays fuel economy for both modes of operation.

The left-hand fuel economy box on the label displays the fuel economy when operating on electricity. This is described in miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent (MPGe).
Well...perhaps I should have dug deeper because...

"The charge depleting test for PHEVs starts with a fully charged battery and ends when the battery is discharged. If the gasoline engine operates during the charge depleting mode, both the electric energy consumption and the gasoline consumption are used to calculate the mpge values for the charge depleting (mostly electric) operation." Source: fe.gov

I suspect that this provision is included for PHEVs that can't exclude the gas engine, but I'm not sure. The PacHy has no mode buttons to force electric only operation, but the 4xe does. Did they run it that way? I suspect that they did, see below about the PacHy numbers.

Look at the PacHy. 87 mpge or something and 30ish mpg in hybrid mode.
Yes, those numbers (82/30) are what appear in the fuel efficiency portion of the Monroney sticker for a PacHy and match the fueleconomy.gov site . Interestingly though, pg 9 of this document says that the PacHy's MPGe is 48 and contains the following special call out for the PacHy,

"This vehicle is a plug-in hybrid, which runs on both gasoline and electricity. Since electricity is not measured in gallons, a conversion factor is used to translate the fuel economy when running on electricity into miles per gallon of gasoline equivalent (MPGe). The combined MPGe estimate includes both city and highway driving and gasoline and electric energy use"

But it makes sense. If the PacHy gets 82 MPGe on pure electric and 30 mpg while on the gasoline engine, you'd expect the combination to be somwhere in the middle, like 48. The fact that the EPA refers to this as MPGe is unfortunate because it could easily be mistaken as the electric only figure. So what does this have to do with the 4xe? When FCA says the PacHy MPGe is 82, they are referring to the all electric figure. Therefore, when FCA says the 4xe MPGe is 50, it's reasonable to assume they are still referring to electric only.

The EPA doesn't explicitly state this, but I believe it does. The EPA number (in dyno tests run by the manufacturer, not the EPA) consists of running the single city cycle until the battery is exhausted. This cycle includes stops, and therefore includes regenerative braking. I didn't see anything about the simulation of climbing/descending grades. Source: fe.gov.

Sounds like fun, let's do it.

The answer to this is a combination of things already discussed like the 33.7kWh equivalence of a gallon of gasoline and the city (credit for some regen) and highway driving cycles, but also includes the inefficiencies of the wall plug which doesn't perfectly conduct electricity from the wall into the battery. source

JPJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Jurassic Park Edition YJ
The math isn't making sense to me. A 400 mile range on a 17 gallon tank comes out to 23.5 MPG which is squarely right in the non-hybrid 2.0 MPG/etorque range. Where is the bump from the Hybrid battery? There should be an increase over just gas mileage. If the battery is 50 and gas is 23.5, you should see something like 30 mpg combined, but that would be a total range of 510 miles.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The math isn't making sense to me. A 400 mile range on a 17 gallon tank comes out to 23.5 MPG which is squarely right in the non-hybrid 2.0 MPG/etorque range. Where is the bump from the Hybrid battery? There should be an increase over just gas mileage. If the battery is 50 and gas is 23.5, you should see something like 30 mpg combined, but that would be a total range of 510 miles.
It's not supposed to make sense. MPGe is supposed to wow uninformed consumers and that's about it

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
back of the envelope, assume 17 gallon tank, 25 miles on battery, 375 ( quoted 400 range on one tank) 375/17= 22 mpg on combined gas is probably in the ball park.

Plus I guess the Feds would like to donate 7500 to your gas fund, about time my our money goes to Mopar.

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
back of the envelope, assume 17 gallon tank, 25 miles on battery, 375 ( quoted 400 range on one tank) 375/17= 22 mpg on combined gas is probably in the ball park.
I think VNT set the math up correctly. It's how I set it up previously. For evidence, see how FCA calculates the total range of the PacHy: 32 miles on electric + 488 miles on gas = 520 total range.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe Hybrid Revealed With 50 MPG-E, 375 Horsepower/470 LB-FT Torque! PacHy 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe Hybrid Revealed With 50 MPG-E, 375 Horsepower/470 LB-FT Torque! PacHy 2

Edited to add, from the EPA:

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe Hybrid Revealed With 50 MPG-E, 375 Horsepower/470 LB-FT Torque! pachy 3

Last edited:

JPJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Jurassic Park Edition YJ
I guess if they are just looking at starting the engine and driving a straight 400 miles non-stop, that makes sense, but it appears to be giving very little benefit in a longer drive situation. It only really makes sense if you do a lot of short drive grocery runs or you are looking for the extra HP/torque off-road. For a normal "mall rated" city driver, it might save you around $600 a year in gas (gallon a day x 6 days of driving for someone driving 25+ miles a day on average). Course, price of gas could cause that saving to be higher if it was to rise a lot.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Is this confirmed anywhere? I assumed it got 50MPGe in hybrid mode not just in full electric mode.
Rubi's explanation was quite concise and accurate.

But how about this
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/topten.jsp
Vehicles are ranked by their EPA combined city/highway rating. All-Electric vehicle (EV) fuel economy is given in Miles Per Gallon equivalent (MPGe), where 33.7 kWh = 1 gallon of gasoline. Plug-in hybrid Vehicles (PHEV) are ranked by their combined gas/electricity rating

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
I've done this, sort of. I ran the Mt. Washington Auto Road in a BMW i3.

Mt. Washington Auto Road is 7.6 miles to the top, and climbs 4,618ft.

Began the road with about 97% charge, which was good for ~80 miles.
At the summit, had 17% charge with 12 miles remaining.
At the bottom after regen, I had 39% charge with 42 miles.

i3 is obviously a very different car, but it's an insight into regen.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 3.53.50 PM.png

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe Hybrid Revealed With 50 MPG-E, 375 Horsepower/470 LB-FT Torque! Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 3.53.50 PM
Thanks for sharing. This is expected, and why I don't believe the 4Xe ran the entire Rubicon on electric power without recharging

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Wrangler 4xe Hybrid Revealed With 50 MPG-E, 375 Horsepower/470 LB-FT Torque! Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 3.53.50 PM
Is there any way to have the Wrangler interior designed by BMW? :)

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Is there any way to have the Wrangler interior designed by BMW? :)
Better yet, Audi! We have a couple of BMWs in our household (X7 and X3M Comp.). While nice, Audi interiors are nicer.
Sponsored