List of aftermarket wheels that are hubcentric

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Re positive and negative offset, here’s an image that I hope you’ll find helpful:

Jeep Wrangler JL List of aftermarket wheels that are hubcentric 1599619201518

With positive offset, the mounting surface is closer to the street side. This means that the entire wheel has to get pushed more inside the fender, closer to the suspension parts.

With negative offset, the wheel doesn’t tuck close inside the fender, reducing the likelihood of rubbing on suspension components. But the tires will most likely poke outside the fender.

The Rubicon axles are wider than the SPORT or SAHARA models. If it were me, I would maintain the positive offset for the Rubicon wheels: no need (IMO) to push the wheels or tires out any further.
Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I just looked at a few of the AEV wheels, and they are +25mm offset, which seems to contradict the logic of going to a negative offset, and is almost exactly the same inner position as a stock rubicon.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/pintler-jeep-jl-wheel/
https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jl-borah/
AEV makes some great products and their wheels have a solid reputation. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them on JLs that are a bit closer to stock configuration that what you're wanting.

Kevins' point of the wider Rubicon axles is valid for sure. Before purchasing any wheel/tire configuration I'd definitely grind the forum and see if you can locate a few other Rubicons that are running what you're wanting. Definitely not a purchase you want to make twice, or have second thoughts/regrets. :)

There's a few running Rubis w/ 37s on a 3.5" lift in this thread for starters, there's even a 2dr Rubi w/ AEV Pintlers on 37s w/ a bit less lift than what you're wanting.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-offset-backspacing-finally-answered.56988/

Last edited:

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I see the Icon Rebound 17x8.5 is listed as hub centric on your main page. According to the specs, the bore size is 72mm. Is this close enough to be considered hub centric?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might try and contact them and see if it's actually 71.5, if it's indeed 72mm it's not a true hubcentric, but about as close as you could get :)
https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/wheel/10645/icon-alloys-rebound/?finishID=1902
Just spoke with Icon--they echoed your words (almost verbatim). They claim there is no such thing as "true hub centric" including oem. The reason they say this is that hub centric requires being pressed on.

Not going to overthink this one..this is the set of wheels I am going to order.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Just spoke with Icon--they echoed your words (almost verbatim). They claim there is no such thing as "true hub centric" including oem. The reason they say this is that hub centric requires being pressed on.

Not going to overthink this one..this is the set of wheels I am going to order.
Because most people don't understand what hub centric actually accomplishes. It's merely a centering method and hub centric lugs accomplish the same thing when used correctly. The clamping/sheering force of the lugs is what holds the wheel in place, not the tiny hub lip. Limiting wheel choices based on being hub centric is a waste.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Because most people don't understand what hub centric actually accomplishes. It's merely a centering method and hub centric lugs accomplish the same thing when used correctly. The clamping/sheering force of the lugs is what holds the wheel in place, not the tiny hub lip. Limiting wheel choices based on being hub centric is a waste.
Wouldn't say it's a waste, here's a good link that lists a couple advantages w/ a hubcentric fit vs. just a lug-centric one
https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/difference-between-hub-centric-and-lug-centric-wheels
Using aluminum (not plastic) hub adapting rings can provide the next best thing. But agree, if you find a wheel that you really want and it's not hubcentric that shouldn't deter you, but if you find one that's also hubcentric, even better :)

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With 0.5mm of difference the Icon Rebound has, there is still room to be off center. By following the proper bolt pattern required for a lug centric wheel then this wheel will fit just as good. Following the pattern is already how I put the tire on, just maybe not with so much attention to specific torque ranges required. Even so, that is a minor adjustment.

I realized today that I forgot to ask about the lug nut crown recommended for this wheel. I am fairly certain the 60deg spline lug is the proper one, but tomorrow I will call Icon back and verify. I wish the wheel mfg's would put more information on the web.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I thought all methods were lug centric?

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Wouldn't say it's a waste, here's a good link that lists a couple advantages w/ a hubcentric fit vs. just a lug-centric one
https://www.quadratec.com/c/blog/difference-between-hub-centric-and-lug-centric-wheels
Using aluminum (not plastic) hub adapting rings can provide the next best thing. But agree, if you find a wheel that you really want and it's not hubcentric that shouldn't deter you, but if you find one that's also hubcentric, even better :)
These articles are wrong, and there are several articles to the contrary. If your wheel were to shift enough that a ring provided any mechanical assistance, you are minutes away from a bigger failure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
These articles are wrong, and there are several articles to the contrary. If your wheel were to shift enough that a ring provided any mechanical assistance, you are minutes away from a bigger failure.
I've read many of the articles pro & con, and yes, a shifting wheel would be a disaster waiting to happen regardless of how it's mounted.
I'm a hubcentric fan obviously but I'm not so far in that corner that I'm condemning lug-centric wheels. This threads primary goal was to list wheels sets that are available w/ a hubcentric fit, which is just another step to ensure a vibration-free fit and an OEM setup.

I'm also very happy to see such substantial lug studs on our JLs, 14mm studs aren't going to be a weak link that's for sure.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I've read many of the articles pro & con, and yes, a shifting wheel would be a disaster waiting to happen regardless of how it's mounted.
I'm a hubcentric fan obviously but I'm not so far in that corner that I'm condemning lug-centric wheels. This threads primary goal was to list wheels sets that are available w/ a hubcentric fit, which is just another step to ensure a vibration-free fit and an OEM setup.

I'm also very happy to see such substantial lug studs on our JLs, 14mm studs aren't going to be a weak link that's for sure.
IMHO....Requiring hubcentric is a waste of time. I've ran 2 hubcentric wheels on my JL and 2 lugcentric wheels on it. As long as you torque them in a star pattern, they all drive the same.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMHO....Requiring hubcentric is a waste of time. I've ran 2 hubcentric wheels on my JL and 2 lugcentric wheels on it. As long as you torque them in a star pattern, they all drive the same.
Do you see any downside to the adapters sold by most tire shops?

I find it laughable that the claim it reduces vibration...that vibration is a good thing imho, as it is a sure way to let you know the installation was wrong and didnt follow instructions of torque and star pattern.

I see the adapters as a cheaters way to install the wheel, and how many stories have we heard about "name your national company here" not torquing wheels properly only to have them fly off.

I am wondering if the use of the adapters as an aid to holding wheel in place while PROPERLY torquing is acceptable, or if there is still a reason not to use.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

I find it laughable that the claim it reduces vibration...that vibration is a good thing imho, as it is a sure way to let you know the installation was wrong and didnt follow instructions of torque and star pattern.

I see the adapters as a cheaters way to install the wheel, and how many stories have we heard about "name your national company here" not torquing wheels properly only to have them fly off.

I am wondering if the use of the adapters as an aid to holding wheel in place while PROPERLY torquing is acceptable, or if there is still a reason not to use.
In many cases you can't even use adapters based on the wheel and center cap designs - e.g. my procomp 7069's for example. Note even temporarily.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

Why do you need an adapter? Thousands of people run nonhubcentric wheels without issues. Very overblown topic and waste of $ on adapters.
Sponsored