Sponsored

New Rubicon Getting Trail Cam option!

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Installed the Z Automotive camera last weekend. Thing is garbage. Need to post a picture of the "quality view" I have.
What don't you like about it? It's SD video quality but nothing wrong with that. I mounted mine in my skid plate for a ground level view and I like it. Though it just died for the second time recently...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I know two guys who have retrofitted from the JT to the JL the trail cam. In both cases it was using the Mopar parts (camera, video processor, and retrofitted/thinned wire harness) and was a $1500 project for all the parts -- too rich for my blood. But it can be done, and has been done.
Does it have those dynamic ghosted tire treads, or do the older models only get the camera view?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
let her drive, you spot
Take your mother-in-law along! Anytime I'm worried about rolling off a cliff, I get out to spot and let my mother-in-law drive! :LOL:

Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What don't you like about it? It's SD video quality but nothing wrong with that. I mounted mine in my skid plate for a ground level view and I like it. Though it just died for the second time recently...
Put on g
Like looking through a muddy wind shield. Its not SD quality it's NO QUALITY!

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Honestly I rarely take my JLUR off road (just beach dunes on Long Island). Bought a Jeep more for the Topless/Doorless experience and a Rubicon with the Steel Bumper for the good looking tires plus a factory warranty. (insert Mall Crawler Memes here).

With that said, I would be interested in the trail cam for my personal non off road use. It will help me park in tight spaces on the street at Queens, Brooklyn and esp Manhattan. Anybody disagree?

OP
OP
imjester77

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
All build sheets of 2021 JLURD have shown the 3.73 gearing. It's a mistake on the build configuration tool. Jeep didn't change the gearing. There are multiple posts and factory specs on this site regarding it.

Furthermore, the front trail cam requires an additional piece of hardware, not just the 8.4"screen. No one has been able to retrofit a 2020 or earlier with the HD camera from Jeep. There are other lower resolution alternatives as was previously mentioned.

I don't mean to be a butt. I've found a little research/searching goes a long ways.

I've done Plenty of research, and yes, there are many people who have come up with creative solutions; HOWEVER, If it is only a $600 upgrade on the builder (Assuming parts only ) then there should be a way to order said parts and adapt them to the older versions as long as you have the wiring harness and radio requirements. Which is the LED Lighting group and the 8.4" display. The same way some have already added proximity sensors to their Jeeps when they did not come from the factory with it, or installed the 8.4" display when it only came with the 7" ect... I know that with enough Money you can do anything, but that is not what I started this thread about. I started it with the HOPE that I'm right and we ALL can benefit from this now being a factory option on a vehicle that Chrysler made "0" Changes to the wiring to in 8 months. (Rona shut down production for a few months so nothing was made or changed during that time).

Turniipp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0
I've done Plenty of research, and yes, there are many people who have come up with creative solutions; HOWEVER, If it is only a $600 upgrade on the builder (Assuming parts only ) then there should be a way to order said parts and adapt them to the older versions as long as you have the wiring harness and radio requirements. Which is the LED Lighting group and the 8.4" display. The same way some have already added proximity sensors to their Jeeps when they did not come from the factory with it, or installed the 8.4" display when it only came with the 7" ect... I know that with enough Money you can do anything, but that is not what I started this thread about. I started it with the HOPE that I'm right and we ALL can benefit from this now being a factory option on a vehicle that Chrysler made "0" Changes to the wiring to in 8 months. (Rona shut down production for a few months so nothing was made or changed during that time).
I'm not out to burst your bubble. I was simply bringing you information from other threads and other members about their efforts and what they had learned.

My comment about anything being possible with enough money was in response to another member and his comments. I'm happy you HOPE that you're right for ALL to benefit!

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Does it have those dynamic ghosted tire treads, or do the older models only get the camera view?
It's identical to the JT setup as all the parts come from a JT and made to work in a JL. That's why the high cost for OEM parts and wiring.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Would love to have but not for the $$$ for a subpar retrofit. Candidly it’s also too expensive as a factory option. On my 2015 I was able to retrofit a back up camera, including the $100 dealer flash for less than $200. If FCA was smart, they would offer a reasonably priced retrofit...to accommodate the jeeping community that supports their product.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It's identical to the JT setup as all the parts come from a JT and made to work in a JL. That's why the high cost for OEM parts and wiring.
It sounds like the zautomotive version is just the camera view without the ghost treads. I'd happily pay extra for the treads. Thanks John!