First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
It really depends more on the size of the battery pack at the charging station. And how long it was able to recharge. These 17Kwhr batteries are very small when compared to a full electric vehicle like the Tesla S series where 85 is the normal size, and you can get up to a 100 Kwhr. So it won't be very difficult to have storage that can charge several Jeeps in a single day. But I don't know that it will be necessary to have a lot of panels to charge the storage battery, as I don't expect to see a ton of 4xE Wranglers hitting the trails everyday.
Sponsored

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
I'm not so sure this is a great idea. I mean, you don't see gas stations out on the trail. Are we going to give preferential treatment based on drive type? What about the ecological impact of putting a charging station out there?
Agreed , stupid idea. Where do you all think the electricity is coming from by the way??? From the sky? Odds are they are burning some sort of hudrocarbon to create that power. They should probably open a mechanic bay equipped with electrical engineer too, to handle all the breakdowns that will happen.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
That's quite an exaggeration. Using a battery system and level 2 charger using micro inverters it would not need a large array. I would say that 6 panels is likely overkill for a single station.
"Home solar panel price calculator: find rebates and get a quick price estimate – The Solar Nerd" https://www.thesolarnerd.com/calculator/
This is a basic calculator for estimating household use, but can be used to easily scale down.

that All depends on how many charges they want to sustain per day And how many at a time.

Sponsored

T_square

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
So everyone saying, the rubicon trail is 22 miles and the jeep has 25 e range, si it should be fine. Isnt the 25 e range for highway driving? off roading wouldnt it be like 5? lol. I know I go through gas like I am driving a 1970 mustang when off roading.
That’s where the regenerative braking comes in. Instead of pressing the brake pads, the motors actually absorb all your inertia to recharge the battery while you slow down

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
Why stop with solar charging stations? Why not just pave the trails so more vehicles can make it?
That’s concerning.
I was being sarcastic. Of course I don't want to pave the Rubicon or any other trail. But I see solar charging stations as basically the same thing. They are adding infrastructure to accomadate vehicles that otherwise would not be able to utilize the trail.

Either your vehicle can make the trail or it can't. Lets not start adding infastructure to trails to accomadate vehicles that are incapable of making the trail. If Jeep wants an electric vehicle to make the trails, they need to develop an electric vehicle than can make the trails. Not alter the trail so their electric vehicle can play too.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Its literally the most contradictory concept ive seen in a while... lets virtue signal Environmental responsibility by driving out to the beauty of nature and laying a concrete foundation, and constructing a man made (unsightly) recharging station (because our batteries dont have the range) . Does everyone realize that the co2 coming out if your tailpipe is a nutrient for photosynthesis?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
That’s where the regenerative braking comes in. Instead of pressing the brake pads, the motors actually absorb all your inertia to recharge the battery while you slow down
Haven't read much about regenerative braking or run the Rubicon trail have you?

Sponsored

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Once on the actual trail, low gearing means I hardly touch the brakes. Not sure how well that pans out on a constant boulder crawl like the Con or Dusy, 4dice, etc.
This is what happens when people who never have engaged in the “sport” design things or make comments....

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
How much acreage must be covered in solar panels to provide a usable amount of energy for charging?
Not sure how many jeep will be charging at once?
I have 76 280 watt panels and it runs 9,900 sqft of 2 homes and a shop + EV car. Todays panels are over 400 watts, so my field could be cut down to 53 panels.