Sponsored

No Lift Off-Roading People

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
285/70/17’s on a JLUR. No lift. Stock.

i take bunny slopes...(1-5)
Things like:

colorado:
Stoney Pass
buffalo boy
eureka pass
loch Lomond,
Fourth of July

no issues, nor would I expect any Given these trails.
Next year maybe, I'd like to take a shot at Black Bear Pass in my stock JL Rubicon 4dr (33" tires, stock bumper, etc). Would you advise me to consider a lift or winch? I've seen the videos but vids are edited. I'd like to hear from an unbiased source.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Next year maybe, I'd like to take a shot at Black Bear Pass in my stock JL Rubicon 4dr (33" tires, stock bumper, etc). Would you advise me to consider a lift or winch? I've seen the videos but vids are edited. I'd like to hear from an unbiased source.
I can’t answer that as I have not tried black bear myself. Others will know better.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
The man driving it admitted he was admiring the scenery which lead to the incident. Easy to have happen up there with the sight seeing aspect.
Whenever my wife says, "oh, look at the view" I double-down on my focus and just say, "no thanks, I'm trying to not kill us."

Luckily my wife is a good sport...

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Still stock as far as suspension and wheels go. However have had no issues covering what I needed to in getting to a fishing, camp or general off road treks. I have bumped a few items underneath, scraped the stock rock rails, got dirty. Plan on suspension, lift, wheels and tires as time goes on but building to a do all with a focus on overland and less a dedicated rock crawler.

Sponsored

Bejer

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Sport Firecracker Red
Stock Sport complete with 245 minivan tires. I’ve taken it to Silver Lake and Bundy Hill and it’s done everything I’ve had the balls to do. I’ll wear out the tires and replace them with 285 Duratracs, at some point I’ll probably get a Rubicon suspension. I haven’t found anything else that I really need for my skill level. (Except the tires. I really, really hate the tires.)
Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 2932ABD4-7462-450E-8A75-F6F238A6B6AA
Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People A106AAF2-38BD-4191-81D3-02B849FB9762

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
Just did Black Bear on Sunday. A bone stock wrangler of any flavor would be fine, though you definitely should not be an acrophobe or someone who gets distracted by scenery. You also definitely need to understand how to control your speed going downhill. I was a bit terrified for the guy in front of me who yelled to the other jeep he was with: "Should I be in 4wd to go down too?" but even he made it to the bottom in one piece. The trail isn't technically challenging at all, it just is unforgiving of mistakes.

Goat

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler jl sport 2.0
Every trail I’ve run has been with no lift on 315/70/17s. The last trails I ran were at Stony Lonesome in Alabama. The weight of my Jeep and mods (LoD front bumper, winch, ACE sliders, Metalcloak skids, and Rhino Rack) have begun to take a toll on my clearance. I scraped a lot and rubbed my fenders often. After the trip, I decided I’m in need of a lift and a tire upgrade.

I picked up a set of Falcon 3.3s a couple weeks back and ordered 37x12.50 STT Pros today and will be ordering the Teraflex ST3 in the next week or so.

Wheeling with no lift has been fun but it’s time to grow a tad.

Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People A106AAF2-38BD-4191-81D3-02B849FB9762

Why did you go with the falcon 3.3s vs the 2.1 Monotubes?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The reality is that sometimes it takes more skill to wheel a stock Jeep than one modified. It is fun and rewarding, too!

Keep the great pics coming!

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
32 might just be a small increase but getting in a 11.5" width will improve much better on the trails
i will explore what out there and where i'm at to determine what tires i need. running 34x 10.5. is o possibility.
My experience would suggest you go for taller, narrower tires unless you'll be mostly wheeling in deep sand or mud. Airing down the taller tires has always been effective for me when doing moderate sand climbing. On a Blanca Peak outing the 12X32s one wheeler had were terrifying on Jaws 2. Despite 11 lbs of air, he kept bouncing and side slipping off camber toward the cliff on the left as some unfortunate drivers in the past have done. The tall, narrow tired equipped Jeeps winched him up. He didn't even do well on the Jaws 4 mud climb. My son with 34X10 mud treads ended up to be the only one to get up that without a Winch. However, their drive-ability must be endured for the 99% tarmac application. 33" KO2s seem to make most people happy. My last three sets over the last 100k miles have been on KOs. Been very happy with those.... may not be alive long enough to get around to KO2s.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can do black bear just fine in a stock Rubi. there are only a few places where it can get sketchy if you aren’t paying attention. I did black bear last year in the JLUR with no issues at all. the Switchbacks are a piece of cake in an automatic vs the TJ that was manual and a bit under geared.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Big pizza cutter fan here. Wish the really big tires were a little narrower....like 12.50s for 42s.
I had 33" pizza cutter KM2's on my JK for about 60k miles. They were great! I did Moab with them and they gripped the slick rock as well as the wider 35's on my JL. I went to the 285/70/17 take-offs from the JLUR when I put the lift/35's on it. Otherwise, I'd have gone right back to the narrow tires. I'm convinced they dug through most types mud better than wider tires do, too. I think they were 255/80/17's. Weird size.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
My experience would suggest you go for taller, narrower tires unless you'll be mostly wheeling in deep sand or mud. Airing down the taller tires has always been effective for me when doing moderate sand climbing. On a Blanca Peak outing the 12X32s one wheeler had were terrifying on Jaws 2. Despite 11 lbs of air, he kept bouncing and side slipping off camber toward the cliff on the left as some unfortunate drivers in the past have done. The tall, narrow tired equipped Jeeps winched him up. He didn't even do well on the Jaws 4 mud climb. My son with 34X10 mud treads ended up to be the only one to get up that without a Winch. However, their drive-ability must be endured for the 99% tarmac application. 33" KO2s seem to make most people happy. My last three sets over the last 100k miles have been on KOs. Been very happy with those.... may not be alive long enough to get around to KO2s.
i hear you. i've been with other jeeps on the trails and the common size were 33x12.5. one had 34x10. my brother ran 33x12.5 tsl super swampers. they are a great all around tires for any trail conditions. the guy that had the 34s did well too. thats why i would consider. it would work well both on and off road.
Sponsored