Beware of this product-it don't fit!

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
In order to conveniently move my Wrangler around inside my garage while making space for other toys I decided to buy a pair of wheel dollies. After looking ad lots of ads I decided on these hydraulic that advertised that they would fit 12 inch wheels. THat means that they would accommodate my stock JL Sport S tire width. Immediately after they arrived I tried them out. To my surprise they wouldn't open up wide enough to slip under my wheels. I contacted customer support with my complaint and from the response I got it was obvious that the person I was talking to didn't have a clue. I can use them only if I jack the wheel up with a floor jack and then the dolly will go under the wheel. Wello, then ff I have to do that, then why didn't I buy just plain wheel dollies.

These are copies of my communications with the ************ company:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. I apologize for the inconvenience.

We have carried these 12" hydraulic jacks for some time and I have not heard of any issues with them not fitting a wheel within 12".

Is there any identification numbers on the jacks such as manufacture model number for us to confirm if you received the correct model?

We do have a 45 day return policy is you would to return them.

Please confirm your order or customer number then we can provide you with a return authorization number.

Again, I truly apologize for the inconvenience.

Feel free to contact us if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Teri
Product Support

Tue 9/1/2020 7:17 PM

To:
You

We are currently experiencing a higher than normal amount of calls and emails which is causing a delay in our response time. Please allow 1 - 2 business days to respond to your inquiry. If you are contacting us to check the status of your order, you can find the most up to date tracking information by going to www.***************.com, click on Account at the top of the page and then My Orders. We appreciate your patience and thank you for your business.

Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 06:14 PM
To: ProductExperts
Subject: Re: *************** Sales Question 4666259
I assumed that the 12" was the maximum tire width, is it not? That seems reasonable since 12-inch diameter automotive wheels likely don't exist in today's automotive world.. However, to fit around the 245 75 R17 (31.5" diameter) tire/wheels on my stock 2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport the jack has to expand at least 3 to 4 more inches than it physically does. Packaging and shipping the jacks back to you from my location is frankly not worth what I paid. I will keep the jacks and just consider myself "burnt" again.

The **************** Part Number 61132 Serial Number 20191021009

I have attached two photos showing the fit of a fully extended jack placed at my wheel. It clearly is not big enough to slip under the tire as it should. Incidentally, these stock Jeep Wrangler wheels are most often replaced by Jeep owners with other sizes which are considerably larger than my stock wheels. I will be replacing my wheels and tires with larger (35") wheels in the spring which would make them even more un-adaptable to your device.

I am really surprised that no other purchasers of these wheel dollies have complained about this lack of fit.

Respectfully, Tom Wheeler

Jeep Wrangler JL Beware of this product-it don't fit! IMG_0001.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Beware of this product-it don't fit! IMG_0002.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Beware of this product-it don't fit! IMG_0001.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Beware of this product-it don't fit! IMG_0002.JPG
Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Actually it will fit a 12" wide tire (width) but it won't go under a tire that's 30+ inches in diameter. That's where the problem lies. Seem's to be a misunderstanding on terms.
Right. The 12” width it can accommodate comes in here:

79A79F29-C3A1-4868-8EEB-950EE8998E16.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
MEHillwalker80

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right. The 12” width it can accommodate comes in here:

Jeep Wrangler JL Beware of this product-it don't fit! tenor
Yeah, we all understand that, but Northern Tool apparently
They roll well on my garage floor with the Jeep on them. And of course once the vehicle has been moved they are let back down to the floor.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, we all understand that, but Northern Tool apparently
Not sure I’m following what you’re saying. Those dollies are plenty wide enough to accommodate your tire width.

Unless I’m missing something here, the issue you’re having is due to the circumference/diameter of the tire. Do they state what it should accommodate for those dimensions?

GClouser

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2-Door
Based on the photos it looks like the only thing stopping this is are the raised connections for the casters. Any chance approaching from the thinner side (12 inch side), and then turning the dolly to the correct orientation might work?

OP
OP
MEHillwalker80

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure I’m following what you’re saying. Those dollies are plenty wide enough to accommodate your tire width.

Unless I’m missing something here, the issue you’re having is due to the circumference/diameter of the tire. Do they state what it should accommodate for those dimensions?

Sponsored

OP
OP
MEHillwalker80

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No they do not. There is no mention of the wheel diameter. I just assumed (incorrectly) that a wheel with a tire up to 12 inches in width would correspond to a reasonably large wheel. At the very least a stock jeep wheel. Harbor freights wheel caddy states wheel diameter up to 32 inches. But Northern Tool says nothing at all about diameter. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200724583_200724583

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
dimensions are stated:
Dimensions L x W x H (in.) 24 13/16 x 21 5/16 x 7 3/4

and it says, tire size in inches 12in.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Add 20psi or so of air, then they'll fit.
Sponsored