Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
So i learned today that Mopar has a restriction on this part, dealerships can only order 1 every two weeks. They just ordered one last week, and there are 3 people still ahead of me. My car is down because the steering got so bad it is not safe to drive. I am looking at 60 days in a loaner car, after already being down 30 days.. in the first year between a transmission issue, a bad water coolant pump, and now the steering box. Potentially i am looking at 90 days down in the first year of ownership. And yet I am probably going to buy another one, once my lemon law return goes thru.
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Got mine done today - so far better, not a ton. Mine wasn’t terrible to begin with based on what others here have been going through.

However going back to dealer tomorrow as there is a 2-3” puddle of steering fluid under my Jeep, and fluid all over running down the drivers side frame rail to the rear and is also dripping all over my garage floor.

And steering wheel is not centered, about 3-4 degrees to the passenger side.

Looked under the Jeep and fluid all over everything. If this is residual from the swap, they did not attempt to clean up after themselves at all.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Got mine done today - so far better, not a ton. Mine wasn’t terrible to begin with based on what others here have been going through.

However going back to dealer tomorrow as there is a 2-3” puddle of steering fluid under my Jeep, and fluid all over running down the drivers side frame rail to the rear and is also dripping all over my garage floor.

And steering wheel is not centered, about 3-4 degrees to the passenger side.

Looked under the Jeep and fluid all over everything. If this is residual from the swap, they did not attempt to clean up after themselves at all.
I noticed a few drops, which is normal that techs never really clean up that well. But nothing like yours, sorry to hear about the mess!

g00nda

First Name
g00nda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Sounds like they ordered you the wrong parts
I called JeepCares and got my advisor involved. Even they suggested that part numbers do change if things are back ordered. In any case, I have JeepCares reaching out to the dealer to ensure there isnt a mix up.

Thanks all. Everyone here is a great great help. Appreciate all the posts and guidance

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Update from S. Florida. Took jeep to Napleton on Northlake in the Palm Beach area. My jeep has a constant pull to the right. Dealer said it needed alignment. Its been aligned 4 times now in an effort to resolve the pull. Dealer aligned it, still pulls to the right but they won't do the TSB. Want me to pick up the jeep.

Waiting for call from Jeep about getting the TSB work done. Hoping the JeepCares case will resolve this issue.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
So i learned today that Mopar has a restriction on this part, dealerships can only order 1 every two weeks. They just ordered one last week, and there are 3 people still ahead of me. My car is down because the steering got so bad it is not safe to drive. I am looking at 60 days in a loaner car, after already being down 30 days.. in the first year between a transmission issue, a bad water coolant pump, and now the steering box. Potentially i am looking at 90 days down in the first year of ownership. And yet I am probably going to buy another one, once my lemon law return goes thru.
Damn. What a frustrating adventure for you. I had my ‘19 bought back for steering issues and I got a new one and I love it (still will get this new steering box).

Good luck and I hope your new one is good.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Damn. What a frustrating adventure for you. I had my ‘19 bought back for steering issues and I got a new one and I love it (still will get this new steering box).

Good luck and I hope your new one is good.
nice to hear the happy ending:)

lambos

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Wrangler Sahara - 2018 JLU Sting Grey Rubicon
Occupation
Retired "hmfic"
I had taken my jlu Rubicon to two different dealers in the past that said it was a jeep thing and that is the way they are. I told them they were full of BS. I was ready to try the 1/8 turn on the steering box adj. I was on the forum for my local jeep club the other day and a member that deals with aftermarket stuff said to bring it in to his dealership. Went in this mourning, they test drove it, said it is the worst one they have seen so far and the new box is on order. Could be up to a month out because each dealer can only order so many. I think I finally found a dealer that I can count on to take care of my issues. Got my fingers crossed.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had taken my jlu Rubicon to two different dealers in the past that said it was a jeep thing and that is the way they are. I told them they were full of BS. I was ready to try the 1/8 turn on the steering box adj. I was on the forum for my local jeep club the other day and a member that deals with aftermarket stuff said to bring it in to his dealership. Went in this mourning, they test drove it, said it is the worst one they have seen so far and the new box is on order. Could be up to a month out because each dealer can only order so many. I think I finally found a dealer that I can count on to take care of my issues. Got my fingers crossed.
I had the same thing two dealers told me that is how a Jeep drives and I was like my last one didn’t drive like that, and they didn’t care, now I find out there is a service bulletin and even though I took my rig in for a water pump leak, it’s under so not drive for safety because it had become so bad.. and I am rolling in a Jeep Cherokee (the small one) for3 weeks so far and it sounds like 2 more months till they get the part

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Scheduled my svc appt for this Saturday. Advisor was already aware of it before I finished explaining. Said to bring it in so they can document it and they’ll order the parts then. Will probably come in a few weeks later and then I go back to get it installed.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Service writer reached out to me yesterday. They got the box in, but still waiting on the bolts. Aargh. He said that his parts manager said they were only allowed to order one per month now.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So after taking a quick road trip this morning with the new box:

It feels firmer like there is more resistance in the steering wheel. Kind of like a vehicle with a stronger steering stabilizer.

Lots of back roads I would drive were uneven and surfaces. With the aluminum box providing a lighter steering feel, it would always move the wheel and I would have to correct. Now with the firmer feel of the new box it doesn’t move that much.

Agswin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Service writer reached out to me yesterday. They got the box in, but still waiting on the bolts. Aargh. He said that his parts manager said they were only allowed to order one per month now.
Did you go to Lithia in College Station?

McFarley

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
i called arrigo Jeep at wpb. They said they haven’t received any TSB applicable to my Jeep.
How did you approach them about the tsb?
Sorry for the late reply. Lots has happened since. I told the dealership to fix the steering box and if they didn't, I would trade it in to them so they would have to fix it anyway. They replaced it. A few days later I traded it in anyway at a dealership (Jerry Ulm) in Tampa. Trade-in values are super high right now plus the dealership was offering $4,000 over KBB. Essentially, I traded in my used 19 Sahara for a new 20 Rubicon for the same value.

McFarley

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
Yesterday, I went to the dealership to have my steering box replaced for my new Jeep under the TSB. Unfortunately, they replaced the AE steering box with the same version of the AE box! The Jeep has 500 miles on it. They admitted their mistake and ordered the correct (cast iron) box. Double check your steering boxes are the right versions. The easiest way to check is by verifying all the bolts are black.
Sponsored