Sponsored

Steel Rear Bumper

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
I've got a 2019 2-Door Sport S JL and the rear bumper appears to be some metal wrapped in dark grey vinylized rubber. One of the license plate screws is stripped out, and when I open the tailgate, the center section of the bumper, under the spare tire, is already bent/warped out from the back of the Jeep. I could take it to my dealer and maybe get them to replace it (still under warranty) but they'd probably just put the same thing on there and it would probably just do the same thing again.

I read here on the forum about many different front bumper options for our JL's, what have folks tried for a rear bumper option?

Any and all input is appreciated.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored

Tolb86

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport
I know from searching for a stock front steel bumper that you can get a rear rubicon steel used one at a really good price.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I know from searching for a stock front steel bumper that you can get a rear rubicon steel used one at a really good price.
I have the OEM front and rear steel bumper. I like the front. The back is “fine” but not the best for any serious off-roading. But, I don’t do serious off-roading. So, it works for me.

OP, search this site for steel bumper takeoffs..... the will be cheap. You may need a few mounting bits depending on what you have now ......

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I just bought a Metalcloak rear bumper for a Labor Day sale. I wanted aluminum to keep the weight down but rock hard 4x4’s is fugly, Quadratec’s doesn’t have backup sensors, and Rival’s doesn’t have a tow connector.
Metalcloak is steel but 50lbs so lightweight and has all the above. Will see how it goes.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
My license plate fell off on a long road trip. I assumed that someone stole it, but after replacing it, I think the screws simply fell out. I put 4 screws in it now, but I too am looking for a new rear bumper. I will be getting an aluminum one. Most likely a Rock Hard. I know that DocTwinkie says they are "fugly", but I do like how they deal with the rear license plate much better than most after market bumpers where it looks like an after thought. I have one of their front bumpers and to be honest, I didn't like how it looked in photos, but really like how it looks in person, so my finger are crossed it will be that same with their rear bumper.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Timmyjoe

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
I don't mind the look of that Rock Hard aluminum rear bumper, my concern is if it works with the stock spare tire holder. I don't see the cut out relief in the bumper where the spare tire would fit.

Best,
-Tim

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I don't mind the look of that Rock Hard aluminum rear bumper, my concern is if it works with the stock spare tire holder. I don't see the cut out relief in the bumper where the spare tire would fit.

Best,
-Tim
After reading the fine print, it carries the stock 33" but you need a bracket for larger, so it's not going to work for me.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
The factory front steel bumper is awesome. To elaborate on the above point about the rear, it's definitely not great if you're on difficult trails often. If you come down off of a rock and hit the factory rear steel bumper, it flexes and pushes itself into the body tub causing a crease and loss of paint. Just got my first crunch in that location this past weekend on Gold Mountain.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Calling it steel is a laugh, is basically sheet metal. I couldn't believe how light and flimsy it was when I pulled it off. Honestly the front isn't much better in regards to stoutness.
Sponsored