Which car company will own jeep next?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The corresponding Fiat model to the Renegade is the 500x. They're the same vehicle except for the styling cues for each company, and a more rugged AWD system for the Trailhawk Renegade.
Reminds me of the Dodge Neon conversion to PT Cruiser.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I love how the only difference between the Dodge and Plymouth versions of the Neon was, one said Dodge and the other said Plymouth.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I love how the only difference between the Dodge and Plymouth versions of the Neon was, one said Dodge and the other said Plymouth.
Ugh and uck. I had a Plymouth Horizon and a Dodge Omni. They were the exact same turd, just crapped by two different butts...

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Porsche is the perfect match. Wrangler, GC & Scrambler would all thrive. $50 grand for a base model is nothing for the European Market. Engine options would be awesome, too
I do like VW/Audi/Porsche, and it does have way less overlap than others, although I do think the GC would likely eventually be folded in and become a spoke on the Tiguan/Q5/Cayenne AllSport/Q3/Macan groups, but maybe not.

Iā€™m just unsure about their go-to-market positioning, but I think if we were looking for a nice big company fit, that would be better than many others that are likely to dilute the brand. Although it would double up on the Mfrs most people associate with ā€˜diesel-gateā€™ so that might get peopleā€™s hackles up prematurely.

Funny, I learned stick on an old brown VW Rabiit, and when I was living in Europe (UK and Germany) I had Golf VR6 Synchro (and Golf Polo before that.. and Fiat Punto before that as company cars), came back here wonder WTF why donā€™t we have those Synchro Golfs in Canada, even just the 4cyl (1.8) !!

For everything VW is doing with the B-Cycle efficient engines, and their Audi power tuned engines VAG would definitely make for some interesting powertain options, just a lot of turbos though, but at least I have more faith in their cold weather chops than some companies, so might be Ok.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I do like VW/Audi/Porsche, and it does have way less overlap than others, although I do think the GC would likely eventually be folded in and become a spoke on the Tiguan/Q5/Cayenne AllSport/Q3/Macan groups, but maybe not.

Iā€™m just unsure about their go-to-market positioning, but I think if we were looking for a nice big company fit, that would be better than many others that are likely to dilute the brand. Although it would double up on the Mfrs most people associate with ā€˜diesel-gateā€™ so that might get peopleā€™s hackles up prematurely.

Funny, I learned stick on an old brown VW Rabiit, and when I was living in Europe (UK and Germany) I had Golf VR6 Synchro (and Golf Polo before that.. and Fiat Punto before that as company cars), came back here wonder WTF why donā€™t we have those Synchro Golfs in Canada, even just the 4cyl (1.8) !!

For everything VW is doing with the B-Cycle efficient engines, and their Audi power tuned engines VAG would definitely make for some interesting powertain options, just a lot of turbos though, but at least I have more faith in their cold weather chops than some companies, so might be Ok.
But the question is what does Porsche get out of it? They already have a good presence in North America, a great brand, and what appears to be a successful SUV strategy.

Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
My guess is that a Chinese company will eventually buy Jeep. Like it or not, China will be the worlds largest economy in another ~10 years so it's only fitting that they have a major presence in the auto industry. Something they can suddenly become with the purchase of a company like Jeep. Much like the way Lenovo bought IBM's PC and server division to become one of the largest IT vendors in the world.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But the question is what does Porsche get out of it? They already have a good presence in North America, a great brand, and what appears to be a successful SUV strategy.
For Jeep alone, yeah, very limited upside, although they could bring back The VW THING :like:
I was thinking more beyond Jeep as the purchase, because as mentioned before there is likely no way in hell FCA sells just Jeep. So looking at FCAā€™s old Chrysler assets, then there is a lot of upside for VAG, where they add a truck division, return to the MiniVans (like when the Routtan which was just a rebadged Caravan) and their muscley N.Am. cars, then VW fills FCAā€™s small-midsized gigantic hole in their car lineup.

So from a ā€˜more than just Jeepā€™ pruchase it makes sense, if buying only Jeep, then it makes sense for a lot more companies and less for VW, but thatā€™s less likely to happen IMO, and Sergio has stated as much.

Edit: Also might be some VW opportunities with the Promaster/RAM side of FCA offering them a better access in N.Am. for their Euro commercial options,

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Bikini Sahara Turbo, 2016 Mini Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
LED Lighting
Huge profits and it opens them up to a whole new market of off-road enthusiasts; 430,000 units (Wrangler+GC) sold in 2017. The new Scrambler gets them into the pickup market and they look awesome. It's fun to speculate.

"Jeep is America's only real sports car." - Enzo Ferrari

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Huge profits and it opens them up to a whole new market of off-road enthusiasts; 430,000 units (Wrangler+GC) sold in 2017. The new Scrambler gets them into the pickup market and they look awesome. It's fun to speculate.

"Jeep is America's only real sports car." - Enzo Ferrari
Why do they want that market? They have their own market that Jeep can't touch. I just don't see the synergies. Yes, they could become a company that adds American muscle to their stable but that to me doesn't fit their brand at all. It actually devalues their overall brand.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do they want that market? They have their own market that Jeep can't touch. I just don't see the synergies. Yes, they could become a company that adds American muscle to their stable but that to me doesn't fit their brand at all. It actually devalues their overall brand.
Muscle doesnā€™t have lower their brand perception as long as itā€™s at arms length just like Buggatti & Rolls doesn't hurt Golfā€™s image as a good econo car maker in Europe with the Up and Polo, etc.

Also, the Truck upside is huge, Pickups are one of the fastest growing segments with women and families in N.Am. replacing many SUVs, and VW has none of that.

Sponsored

vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Jeep has been bought and sold about 5 times in its history.
So who would you like to see buy them next?
Me personally id go with ford or Toyota.
You mean Jeep doesn't own Jeep! Dang it all, hood winked again. lol

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Bikini Sahara Turbo, 2016 Mini Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
LED Lighting
VW Group has no light trucks in their lineup, and the pickup market is on fire. I see a pretty good synergy with all their brands.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
VW Group has no light trucks in their lineup, and the pickup market is on fire. I see a pretty good synergy with all their brands.
They have the Amarok, but not in the US. There are rumors about possibly building a truck in the US Chattanooga Plant swirling now.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, forgot about that Amarok, had a weak 4cyl engine, so wasnā€™t really attractive, but now is a Diesel6.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
They have the Amarok, but not in the US. There are rumors about possibly building a truck in the US Chattanooga Plant swirling now.
That said, the rumored truck is said to be a Ridgeline competitor, and would be a unibody design based on the Atlas. Link posted over on the Scrambler forums said that it may be a surprise reveal at NY.
Sponsored