2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The “experts” list the Top 3 must-haves for off-roading as:

1. Traction tires
2. A rear locker
3. A winch

This is based on opinions, so it varies. But these three items rise to the top over and over.

The fourth “must” is not an item but a best-practice: always wheel with at least one other vehicle.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The “experts” list the Top 3 must-haves for off-roading as:

1. Traction tires
2. A rear locker
3. A winch

This is based on opinions, so it varies. But these three items rise to the top over and over.

The fourth “must” is not an item but a best-practice: always wheel with at least one other vehicle.
The "always wheel with another vehicle" is like telling people not to drive remote roads alone. A blow out in a corner, failed tire rod, etc. is just as likely to leave you stranded on road in the middle of no where. Harsh environments, like snow, definitely call for a 2nd vehicle. Basic survival skills, water, some emergency rations, there's not a trail I've been on that either the wife or I (if one of us were injured) couldn't walk out of. For some of us the jeep is a means of getting away from people. People backpack in remote locations and yet the "experts" tell you not to drive out into the woods alone? Go prepared (much easier to do in a vehicle as you aren't carrying all your gear), do what you are comfortable with, but feel like your enjoyment of the outdoors is dependent on someone else.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The "always wheel with another vehicle" is like telling people not to drive remote roads alone. A blow out in a corner, failed tire rod, etc. is just as likely to leave you stranded on road in the middle of no where. Harsh environments, like snow, definitely call for a 2nd vehicle. Basic survival skills, water, some emergency rations, there's not a trail I've been on that either the wife or I (if one of us were injured) couldn't walk out of. For some of us the jeep is a means of getting away from people. People backpack in remote locations and yet the "experts" tell you not to drive out into the woods alone? Go prepared (much easier to do in a vehicle as you aren't carrying all your gear), do what you are comfortable with, but feel like your enjoyment of the outdoors is dependent on someone else.
It goes beyond being with someone else. There are rare situations from which you simply cannot extricate yourself a winch, a shovel or a pair of portable tracks, and the only way to get moving again is by getting pulled out.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It goes beyond being with someone else. There are rare situations from which you simply cannot extricate yourself a winch, a shovel or a pair of portable tracks, and the only way to get moving again is by getting pulled out.
There are situations where a tractor and/or multiple other rigs will struggle to get you out. Then of course there are failed components that will make getting off the trail harder than going for replacement parts. I have changed a transmission on the side of a trail, doesn't mean I carry a spare one. I don't travel with a tow truck either, although I have needed one on occasion. In my 20 years of off roading I've learned you'll never have every spare part you could possibly need. Be prepared to deal with the unforseen. And be ready to hike out should it come to that.

Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
There are situations where a tractor and/or multiple other rigs will struggle to get you out. Then of course there are failed components that will make getting off the trail harder than going for replacement parts. I have changed a transmission on the side of a trail, doesn't mean I carry a spare one. I don't travel with a tow truck either, although I have needed one on occasion. In my 20 years of off roading I've learned you'll never have every spare part you could possibly need. Be prepared to deal with the unforseen. And be ready to hike out should it come to that.
Best to never go anywhere without a Blackhawk as wingman :like:

Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People maxresdefault-2

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If you get stuck, larger tires or a lift won't help. A winch will.
Definitely, and less work than stacking rocks and using the hi lift. But I've yet to find myself in a situation where those didn't work, WORK being the operative word.

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a 1.5" spacer lift in front to compensate for the added weight of the winch and bumper mods, and then leveled it with a 3/4" rear spacer lift - so it's still relatively stock. I'll be raising it 3" and going to 37s next summer so I can run some more aggressive trails. I was only able to get about 1/4 mile into either end of Slick Rock in Bear Valley, CA on the stock suspension and even with that I was glad to have my Rock Slide Engineering Steps/Rock Rails. The pics are of the easier parts that I could get out of the vehicle and snap a picture.

2020-07-04 Slick Rock - Entry from Duck Creek.JPG

2020-07-04 Slick Rock Obstacle 1 from Alpine Lake.JPG

2020-07-04 Slick Rock.JPG

IMG_7340.JPG

Doug Huse

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, Fire Cracker Red, 2019 Winnie M/H, Kia
I installed a 1.5" spacer lift in front to compensate for the added weight of the winch and bumper mods, and then leveled it with a 3/4" rear spacer lift - so it's still relatively stock. I'll be raising it 3" and going to 37s next summer so I can run some more aggressive trails. I was only able to get about 1/4 mile into either end of Slick Rock in Bear Valley, CA on the stock suspension and even with that I was glad to have my Rock Slide Engineering Steps/Rock Rails. The pics are of the easier parts that I could get out of the vehicle and snap a picture.

Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People IMG_7340.JPG

Great pictures!

Sponsored

Rla1022

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Moab
From the top of Poughkeepsie, that is. ;)
It was an awesome view. We did the full Alpine Loop that also Tops out at 13kish. There were some tricky spots but was in 4Auto the whole time. The downward slope we slid a little but use the Downhill Assist and 4Lo.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Wife and I did Hell's Revenge in a stock suspension, wheel and tire JLUR. Scraped some, knocked some bedliner off the body mount Roam steps. But no damage. We also did Shaffers trail, and some other trail south of Moab. But those are pretty easy. Hell's is our first REAL off road trail thats not a mountain road.
Did the front side road up to Black Bear and down the switchbacks back to highway.
Did LuLu pass up and around the mountain then down Daisy pass in Cooke City MT.

As a guy who grew up and lives in southern WI with no trails harder than a gravel road, the stock JLUR is more capable than I am, for now..... :)

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I ran 100% stock for about a year between my 2019 and 2020 JLURs. then I did about 2 months with 35s and no lift. for the last month or so I have been running a hybrid Mopar 2" lift and 35s. while I went everywhere I wanted to go stock, it is night and day better with the lift and larger tires. I did not drag my belly skids anymore (or not as hard at least) and the ride etc. is actually better both on and offroad. I really learned a lot in the first year as far as to what the JL can do, and know all of the low hanging fruit etc. to help pick lines now. however, I do wish I did the lift sooner as it really does make a big difference. I as firm believer that you should build for your use case. if 100% stock works for you, roll with it. even a stock JL can do some wild stuff.

75E76A81-92BD-4C5F-994B-322CBEBE9FDA.jpeg

815AE79F-7826-4F63-8294-7033D43522DF.jpeg

2DD46BFC-CB1E-4C7C-86CE-A65CE2C5CB3F.jpeg

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Im personally not interested in destroying my Jeep, but I do love forest service roads and moderate trails. Especially in Colorado. Stock Moab. A view from the top.

Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 2DD46BFC-CB1E-4C7C-86CE-A65CE2C5CB3F
We were on top of that loop many years ago in our stock WJ, plus I've been up there a few times in CJs rented in Silverton. The rental company wouldn't let us take their vehicle into Poughkeepsie and my wife wouldn't me take her WJ there either, or on Black Bear.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I got a winch to fill the large void in my...... bumper.
Sponsored