First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
The whole premise of this is just silly. As if you have to lift the most capable vehicle being sold just to off-road.

I’ve done quite a bit in Colorado including Imogene, Black Bear, and the whole Alpine loop. I’ve scraped a couple time, spun a wheel or two, but never came across anything I wanted to go through that I couldn’t.
Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
My stock 2020 JLUR is already more capable than I will ever be or ever want to be.
Totally. I like to say it’s got more balls than I do.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Totally. I like to say it’s got more balls than I do.
As I become more and more aware of what I wish to do with my Jeep, the more and more that I realize that I don’t need most of the mods that I was CONVINCED that I needed.

i do trails for pussies: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...a-“trails-for-pusses”-—-list-them-here.56846/

I don’t need bigger tires, I don’t need a lift, I don’t need skid plates. Others do need them. But I don’t

I was 100% sure that I needed a winch too. i Am now 95% sure that I do. I own and carry recovery gear (traction boards, kenetic rope, shackles, tow strap, shovel etc... even a snatchblock!!). The traction boards and shovel are In the “self recovery” category. The rest require help from others.

Even for trails for Pusses, I am debating if I need that winch “just in case” on that trail in the wee hours of the morning as I am getting to the hiking trailhead before sunrise, I happen onto a significant problem. we’ll see.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious to how many people take there Jeep off-road with no lift? Not talking extreme, but level 2-3 trails. I have my Rubicon with 35’s and no lift. I love going down trails and I’m not a fan of lift kits. Like the way it looks now. I do mostly rock crawling and creek driving. That’s mainly what we have here in Missouri. Nothing high speed. All 4lo, with no sway bar and lockers engaged. Let’s here it from you no lift off roading guys.
Sport S here, without any lift, still stock tires (no front disconnect yet) and regularly do level 3 trails. The only difference is the line you choose to ensure your underbelly hits on the skid plates and not somewhere else. and I ibviously do a lot more freeheeling for harder obstacles...but I love it, obviously plan on lifting at some point but It'll do for the next 1-2 years at least maybe a quick disconnect for the front in the next few months.

Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 1599529974361

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
As I become more and more aware of what I wish to do with my Jeep, the more and more that I realize that I don’t need most of the mods that I was CONVINCED that I needed.

i do trails for pussies: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...a-“trails-for-pusses”-—-list-them-here.56846/

I don’t need bigger tires, I don’t need a lift, I don’t need skid plates. Others do need them. But I don’t

I was 100% sure that I needed a winch too. i Am now 95% sure that I do. I own and carry recovery gear (traction boards, kenetic rope, shackles, tow strap, shovel etc... even a snatchblock!!). The traction boards and shovel are In the “self recovery” category. The rest require help from others.

Even for trails for Pusses, I am debating if I need that winch “just in case” on that trail in the wee hours of the morning as I am getting to the hiking trailhead before sunrise, I happen onto a significant problem. we’ll see.
That’s sounds about where my thinking is but I battle with being prepared for some of the unexpected. I know the Jeep will probably be overkill for what my family and I are willing to do but I’ve gotten all this “just in case” gear and mild mods anyway to be safe.

But...I’ve got the winch and the required front bumper....and now my rear bumper doesn’t match. So there’s a slippery slope...of looking to match the front. I have two traction boards (Do I need 4??lol), a tree saver, Dead Man Kit, recovery ring, 4 soft shackles all together, and two subdued black bow shackles. My mind goes to “Should I get a snatch strap/rope?? From here, I guess I’m looking at tires (33-34’s to work with Rubi takeoff springs/shocks), rear bumper, and a product to program for the change in tire diameter. Oh, and JKS disconnects too.

I think I’m done after that.:LOL:

Sponsored

CM⛰

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal
No Lift on 35’s. Hidden Falls, TX 9/6/20
Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 75E22D4D-F16B-4838-9CF4-D5CB589F2D67

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm a relatively new "off-roader". I have a stock JLUR and was incredibly impressed with a
No Lift on 35’s. Hidden Falls, TX 9/6/20
Jeep Wrangler JL No Lift Off-Roading People 75E22D4D-F16B-4838-9CF4-D5CB589F2D67
no lift on 35s with aftermarket wheels and you don’t rub your fenders? Or did you modify your fenders?

Doug Huse

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, Fire Cracker Red, 2019 Winnie M/H, Kia
I did my first Rubicon, as a passenger, in a 1986 CJ, in the organized Jeep Jamboree. Jeep engineers picked up 10 brand new first year Wranglers from a dealer in Reno and unmodified, drove them to the start of the Rubicon. There they were joined by 10 of the local club members. Again, all the Jeeps were stock. The CJ I was in was also stock. The Jeep people had no idea what their trucks were capable of. Of course, all of the YJs made it through without difficulty. So did we. I made it through two years later in an almost stock Suzuki Samurai JX. Bigger tires only.

So if stock Jeeps could do the Rubicon 35 years ago, I have no doubt that today's stock Jeep could do almost any trail/road in the country. As stated by a previous poster, experience is worth many modifications.

Incidentally, my JLR is still stock except for some different rock rails. My wife needed a step.

And lastly, why do so many newbees think they need a winch?

Last edited:

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer

I literally was looking at bumper/winch options earlier today but still holding off. I also have a bit more recovery stuff on order - bottle jack and base for it, tree saver to go with snatch strap, d-rings and soft shackle, and a good shovel (already have boards and compressor). I realize the straps depend on another vehicle, but bottle jack, shovel and boards (along with creative rock stacking) combined with sensible lines should cover a fair chunk of situations.

i think it depends on how far you want to push things, and how willing you are to either hike out or hunker down if you really screw up. Also whether you solo, or are on fairly well-traveled areas.

Last edited:

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
I just ran Poughkeepsie Gulch today with no lift and 315/70R17s on my JLUR. I made a poor line choice on the Wall and ended up high centered. Judging by the thick layer of aluminum deposits on that rock ledge, I was not alone. I was really hoping to not need the winch I installed right before the trip, but I'm really glad it was there. I was able to pull myself out in just a couple of minutes. If you're going to wheel without a group, a winch is a necessity in my book. Other than that one spot, I rubbed various skid plates and the rock rails in several places (particularly the part of the trail past the Wall before the bypass rejoins it), but I'd say this trail is absolutely doable without a lift for a JLUR, though it's decidedly more of a challenge and you will definitely scrape the powder coat off your skid plates. That being said, I plan for a lift in the next year before my Moab trip because we really want to do some of the rougher trails without just dragging the Jeep up them.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
When people think "modified jeep", they think big tires, lift, new bumpers and winch.

I suppose if you wheel in the woods in muddy conditions, a winch would be useful. Out in the desert what do you hook the cable to? Although I've seen videos of people using their winch in Moab to pull another vehicle up an obstacle. By yourself it would seem to be harder to use.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I did my first Rubicon, as a passenger, in a 1986 CJ, in the organized Jeep Jamboree. Jeep engineers picked up 10 brand new first year Wranglers from a dealer in Reno and unmodified, drove them to the start of the Rubicon. There they were joined by 10 of the local club members. Again, all the Jeeps were stock. The CJ I was in was also stock. The Jeep people had no idea what their trucks were capable of. Of course, all of the YJs made it through without difficulty. So did we. I made it through two years later in an almost stock Suzuki Samurai JX. Bigger tires only.

So if stock Jeeps could do the Rubicon 35 years ago, I have no doubt that today's stock Jeep could do almost any trail/road in the country. As stated by a previous poster, experience is worth many modifications.

Incidentally, my JLR is still stock except for some different rock rails. My wife needed a step.

For this relative newbie it would for additional self recovery options as we tend to not make trips with friends etc. We also have a lot of mud that I try to avoid here so I don’t see the harm in the insurance for mud, sand, others, etc... even pulling a bush out around house. lol

I came from being a car guy and aircraft maintenance/military so redundancy, I learned, is a good thing. Some things you rarely need and you hope it stays that way.

Doug Huse

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, Fire Cracker Red, 2019 Winnie M/H, Kia
I was going to put a winch on my '20 JLR but friends who have been wheelin' for over 20 years and who have done every known trail in the Western states WITHOUT a winch told me I needn't waste my money. Never wheel alone and if doing harder stuff with a group, there will always be a newbee with a winch.

And DAD, keep in mind, that's a lot of weight you're putting on those front wheels; a winch bumper and a winch.

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I have a winch and RockHard Aluminum narrow front bumper coming for my JL Rubicon with stock tires and suspension. Drive it in the northern Michigan trails and the winch probably is overkill but I have found some mud that just about got me and wanted to added security. Always drive alone so if it gets buried I walking out!
Hopefully I dont regret installing.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Traction boards for mud and sand are usually quicker than a winch. Hi lift jack for those high centered stucks makes more sense to me than dragging whatever is hung up into and through the obstacle. I've run a winch on past vehicles, and it's like insurance. It brings peace of mind to know it's there, but I still tried to avoid needing to use it.
Sponsored