Sponsored

Dad Jeep Build

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Been a Jeep guy for a a while now, and always owned one (or more) at any given time. I've never done a build journal, so this is more for my own edification, than anything.

Started with an 89 MJ.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build mj.JPG

Then picked up an 06 LJ.
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build lj2

Followed closely by a 98 XJ.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build 2014-05-18 14.58.08

Helped my dad build his 93 v8 ZJ budget wheeler. Later swapped all the parts over to a 95 v8 ZJ after the 93 had been beaten into retirement. His 95 didn't last very long, either. Crazy to think all four of those Jeeps (pictured below) combined cost less than my stock JL...

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build all jeeps

Swapped the LJ for a 12 JKU once I had a kid and needed a usable backseat. Also sold the XJ (it was the wife's and she was now on mom duty), and the MJ (the interior was pretty cramped and no longer practical).

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build jku1
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build jku23

Went on the 2015 JKX, which was a lot of fun. But...sold the 12 JKU while I was overseas (dumb) and at some point ended up with slightly modded v8 04 WJ.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build w

I like Jeeps and thought - I also like the utility of pick-up trucks, so I bought a 16 Ram 2500 PowerWagon. That proved to be the worst of both worlds - too big to off-road (at least where I live) and too off-road tailored to be a good tow rig. So I sold that. My dad bought a matching PW in black after he saw mine. He later upgraded his to an 18 PowerWagon.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build pdub

WJ had some issues so I sold that and bought a 18 KL TrailHawk. Awesome little SUV, but that novelty only lasted a little while, so it was swapped for a 16 Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel (still own that one; love it (after a tune)).

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build cherokee

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build truck.JPG

Even dipped my toes into the SxS scene and got a 15 RZR XP1K. Those things can rip, but they don't crawl so good. So that went bye-bye after a year or so.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build rzr.JPG

Had a 98 TJ for a few minutes, but I've never really cared for TJs so I cleaned it up and turned it for a profit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build t

Was gifted a 65 CJ5 from a family member who had owned it since the early 70's and used it primarily for cruising around the Telluride area for years.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build 14570309_905329461041_1511982379320560351_n
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build cj45

Spent a few years with just the 65 CJ5 project; tinkered here and there, but really focused elsewhere. School, Life, Work, Moving, etc. Never forgot my love for the off-road, though.

Finally saw an opportunity when COVID hit and used vehicle prices tanked. My heart said "Rubicon", but my wallet said "don't buy another Jeep". So I met in the middle and picked up an 18 JLU Sport in April 20. Got it with 11500 miles on the ODO.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build jlue

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build thumbnail

I love reading through all of the builds on this site for ideas and mostly, out of pure envy. This build will serve as a "Dad Jeep" build. Reasons for that name being twofold - I don't want to spend a large amount of money on Jeep parts and I also need to make it usable for my Wife and two small children. My plan is to modify the Jeep as fiscally conscious as possible, while getting the Jeep prepared for trail duty. I also wanted to make it almost 100% reversible should I want to trade it for something else, as I am wont to do.

I'm not proud of my parts list, but I want to see how the Jeep fares and - over time it'll be upgraded as things break (which is fairly guaranteed).

All that being said, for those looking for a Jeep getting crate axles, 40s, and a v8 (I Wish)- this is not for you. But, if you're looking for ideas on how to get "a" bang for your buck, read on...

I'll update the JL progress with pictures over the next week or two, since it took me a while to dig up all the photos of the past projects. Hope everyone enjoys their Labor Day Weekend!

Here is the list. Doesn't include tax or discounts. But, end result is it's under $5k...

RONIN STUBBY ANTENNA 1 $40.00
SPIDERWEB SHADE 1 $200.00
RR DOOR SILL GUARDS 1 SET $50.00
MOPAR RR STORAGE BIN 1 $32.00
GRAB BAR STORAGE TRAY 1 $12.00
RC RR LCA SKIDS 1 SET $50.00
RC ENGINE/T-CASE SKIDS 1 $400.00
RUBI RAIL SWAP 1 SET $0.00 (SOLD SIDE STEPS FOR $140, BOUGHT TAKE-OFF RAILS for $125)
RC 2.5 SPACER LIFT W/SHOCKS 1 $350.00
RH4X4 WINCH PLATE 1 $180.00
RC 9500LB WINCH 1 $400.00
G2 1.75" WHEEL SPACERS 4 $200.00
MOPAR LIFT FRT LCAs 2 $60.00
35X12.5R17 MILESTAR PATS 5 $1,181.00
RC SPARE TIRE RELOC BRACKET 1 $80.00
CLAYTON SS RELOC BRACKET 1 $90.00
RC SS 1 $55.00
TAZER JL MINI PROGRAMMER 1 $220.00
RC ADJ FRT TRACKBAR 1 $150.00
PAINT FACTORY WHEELS 5 $40.00
RUGGED RIDGE 3/4" SHACKLES 2 $0.00 (NR4X4 GIFT CARD)
RC SNATCH BLOCK 1 $0.00 (NR4X4 GIFT CARD)
JEEP DRAIN PLUGS 4 $11.00
MOPAR WINDSHIELD TIE-DOWN 1 SET $32.00
TIRE MOUNT & BALANCE 5 $100.00
LANGE COYOTE MIRRORS 1 SET $85.00
AFE MUFFLER DELETE PIPE 1 $95.00

TOTAL $4,113.00
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I'm a huge fan of budget-builds, that's the direction I am going with mine...just takes time and funds as they're freed up. I also like reversible mods, and have been known to buy slightly used parts to save $$ (basically everything on my JL Sport is someone else's takeoff). I have two teenage kids and not sure what their plans are for the future, but if I can help with college or whatever that'll come first for sure.

BTW, that CJ5 is an awesome gift! Do you cruise it around at all?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
great post on the history of jeep.dont let the cj loose because you will have a hard time finding another on in decent shape. as for your budget build on the jl, i'm doing the same with my jl. just keeping it plain, simple, and low cost. yet functional as a daily driver and off roader.

OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
I'm a huge fan of budget-builds, that's the direction I am going with mine...just takes time and funds as they're freed up. I also like reversible mods, and have been known to buy slightly used parts to save $$ (basically everything on my JL Sport is someone else's takeoff). I have two teenage kids and not sure what their plans are for the future, but if I can help with college or whatever that'll come first for sure.

BTW, that CJ5 is an awesome gift! Do you cruise it around at all?
Thanks! I don’t take the CJ out as often as I’d like. Getting it started is always such a process haha. Good luck on your build!

OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
great post on the history of jeep.dont let the cj loose because you will have a hard time finding another on in decent shape. as for your budget build on the jl, i'm doing the same with my jl. just keeping it plain, simple, and low cost. yet functional as a daily driver and off roader.
Thanks. I was told when given the CJ that I was not allowed to get rid of it - which is fine because I don’t plan to haha. Sounds like you and I are on the same page with our JL mods!

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Thanks! I don’t take the CJ out as often as I’d like. Getting it started is always such a process haha. Good luck on your build!
Oh I hear ya; the older ones are fun, but always a project indeed! Mine is just about where I want it now; I've already installed Rubicon springs/shocks/wheels and tires, and I just ordered the Rough Country front diff skid to protect the drain plug. I'm going to take the 101 Course at Rausch Creek in a few weeks. Can't wait to do some wheeling!

Got any pics of your progress yet?

OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Oh I hear ya; the older ones are fun, but always a project indeed! Mine is just about where I want it now; I've already installed Rubicon springs/shocks/wheels and tires, and I just ordered the Rough Country front diff skid to protect the drain plug. I'm going to take the 101 Course at Rausch Creek in a few weeks. Can't wait to do some wheeling!

Got any pics of your progress yet?
Nice! Rausch Creek is a lot of fun, been there many times. And I've heard good things about the off-road courses they run.

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Been a Jeep guy for a a while now, and always owned one (or more) at any given time. I've never done a build journal, so this is more for my own edification, than anything.

Started with an 89 MJ.

Then picked up an 06 LJ.

Followed closely by a 98 XJ.

Helped my dad build his 93 v8 ZJ budget wheeler. Later swapped all the parts over to a 95 v8 ZJ after the 93 had been beaten into retirement. His 95 didn't last very long, either. Crazy to think all four of those Jeeps (pictured below) combined cost less than my stock JL...

Swapped the LJ for a 12 JKU once I had a kid and needed a usable backseat. Also sold the XJ (it was the wife's and she was now on mom duty), and the MJ (the interior was pretty cramped and no longer practical).

Went on the 2015 JKX, which was a lot of fun. But...sold the 12 JKU while I was overseas (dumb) and at some point ended up with slightly modded v8 04 WJ.

I like Jeeps and thought - I also like the utility of pick-up trucks, so I bought a 16 Ram 2500 PowerWagon. That proved to be the worst of both worlds - too big to off-road (at least where I live) and too off-road tailored to be a good tow rig. So I sold that. My dad bought a matching PW in black after he saw mine. He later upgraded his to an 18 PowerWagon.

WJ had some issues so I sold that and bought a 18 KL TrailHawk. Awesome little SUV, but that novelty only lasted a little while, so it was swapped for a 16 Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel (still own that one; love it (after a tune)).

Even dipped my toes into the SxS scene and got a 15 RZR XP1K. Those things can rip, but they don't crawl so good. So that went bye-bye after a year or so.

Had a 98 TJ for a few minutes, but I've never really cared for TJs so I cleaned it up and turned it for a profit.

Was gifted a 65 CJ5 from a family member who had owned it since the early 70's and used it primarily for cruising around the Telluride area for years.

Spent a few years with just the 65 CJ5 project; tinkered here and there, but really focused elsewhere. School, Life, Work, Moving, etc. Never forgot my love for the off-road, though.

Finally saw an opportunity when COVID hit and used vehicle prices tanked. My heart said "Rubicon", but my wallet said "don't buy another Jeep". So I met in the middle and picked up an 18 JLU Sport in April 20. Got it with 11500 miles on the ODO.

I love reading through all of the builds on this site for ideas and mostly, out of pure envy. This build will serve as a "Dad Jeep" build. Reasons for that name being twofold - I don't want to spend a large amount of money on Jeep parts and I also need to make it usable for my Wife and two small children. My plan is to modify the Jeep as fiscally conscious as possible, while getting the Jeep prepared for trail duty. I also wanted to make it almost 100% reversible should I want to trade it for something else, as I am wont to do.

I'm not proud of my parts list, but I want to see how the Jeep fares and - over time it'll be upgraded as things break (which is fairly guaranteed).

All that being said, for those looking for a Jeep getting crate axles, 40s, and a v8 (I Wish)- this is not for you. But, if you're looking for ideas on how to get "a" bang for your buck, read on...

I'll update the JL progress with pictures over the next week or two, since it took me a while to dig up all the photos of the past projects. Hope everyone enjoys their Labor Day Weekend!

Here is the list. Doesn't include tax or discounts. But, end result is it's under $5k...

RONIN STUBBY ANTENNA 1 $40.00
SPIDERWEB SHADE 1 $200.00
RR DOOR SILL GUARDS 1 SET $50.00
MOPAR RR STORAGE BIN 1 $32.00
GRAB BAR STORAGE TRAY 1 $12.00
RC RR LCA SKIDS 1 SET $50.00
RC ENGINE/T-CASE SKIDS 1 $400.00
RUBI RAIL SWAP 1 SET $0.00 (SOLD SIDE STEPS FOR $140, BOUGHT TAKE-OFF RAILS for $125)
RC 2.5 SPACER LIFT W/SHOCKS 1 $350.00
RH4X4 WINCH PLATE 1 $180.00
RC 9500LB WINCH 1 $400.00
G2 1.75" WHEEL SPACERS 4 $200.00
MOPAR LIFT FRT LCAs 2 $60.00
35X12.5R17 MILESTAR PATS 5 $1,181.00
RC SPARE TIRE RELOC BRACKET 1 $80.00
CLAYTON SS RELOC BRACKET 1 $90.00
RC SS 1 $55.00
TAZER JL MINI PROGRAMMER 1 $220.00
RC ADJ FRT TRACKBAR 1 $150.00
PAINT FACTORY WHEELS 5 $40.00
RUGGED RIDGE 3/4" SHACKLES 2 $0.00 (NR4X4 GIFT CARD)
RC SNATCH BLOCK 1 $0.00 (NR4X4 GIFT CARD)
JEEP DRAIN PLUGS 4 $11.00
MOPAR WINDSHIELD TIE-DOWN 1 SET $32.00
TIRE MOUNT & BALANCE 5 $100.00
LANGE COYOTE MIRRORS 1 SET $85.00
AFE MUFFLER DELETE PIPE 1 $95.00

TOTAL $4,113.00
Sounds like a really cool build - thanks for sharing! I’m also always on the hunt for mods to help make my JLUR a little more comfortable for my wife and two young daughters - again, very cool.

OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Now that I went through the history of my Jeeps - it's on to the JL. Got it home and stripped it down, as is tradition.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2478.JPG

I love having the top off the Jeep, so I built a cheap hardtop "hoist" from directions on a YouTube video.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2472.JPG

First mod...got a chip in the windshield on the way home from the dealer. The summer heat took care of the rest about 3 days later. Luckily, it just went vertical and its on the passenger side, so I haven't bothered to fix it yet.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2799.JPG

Added the stubby antenna...

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2798.JPG

...and the Rugged Ridge Door Sill Guards. They've held up great and seem to be doing their job, so far.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2800.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2801.JPG

Next I bought a full-length SpiderWebShade to knock some of the sunlight off. It was great on my JK, so I ordered the same brand.

The shade was easy enough to install and I love the coverage, but its gotten stretched out around the freedom top panel latches where I have to pull the shade back to get them to latch. This has caused some minor flapping, but it's nothing too bothersome. With the hardtop, it may have been better to go with the two-piece design.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2802.JPG

Had to move the camper over to the storage lot (~4400lbs, dry). Curiosity got the best of me so I moved the truck out of the way and hooked the JL up. I only drove about 2 miles at 35 MPH and the sideview mirrors were useless. With the WD hitch hooked up it was fairly level, but no trailer brake control either. Not recommended.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2660.JPG

Next additions were some odds and ends. Bought a grab handle storage tray. I read about that tray potentially interfering with the airbag if you keep phones or other tall items in it. Something to be conscious about if you've got the same thing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2803.JPG

...A Mopar Storage Bin (it's rubberized, which is nice to prevent things from sliding around too much in there) for the winch gear, doorless mirrors, and windshield tie-downs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2835.JPG

As an aside - the Jeep came with the trail rail system. I would not purposely order it. I don't see a lot of utility in it and the rails collect a bunch of sand, dirt and debris that are a PITA to clean out.

Also bought a pack of JK drain plugs for the front floor mats to stop them from becoming a dirt depository.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2841.JPG

I left it like that for a few months to accrue some more funds for the next round.

I began searching on FB Marketplace for some take-off rock sliders from a rubicon. Super easy to find, everyone seems to be selling them. They're not the best out there, but they're better than nothing. Bought some for $125 and took my stock steps off, and sold them a week later for $140. My wife and daughter weren't happy about losing their steps into the Jeep, but with a little extra momentum they mount up just fine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2694.JPG

Now it was time for a lift. I opted for the Rough Country 2.5" Spacer Lift. I went with shocks over the extensions, since I found my front Drivers Side Shock busted anyhow. Install was very easy. I didn't disconnect the driveshaft or loosen the control arms and it went in just fine. I also swapped the rear stock swaybar links and used those in the front, since the front RC ones had a fixed rubber bushing and a dog leg design that interfered with the tires when disconnected and flexed out. The front axle was also 1/2" off-center, but that would have to wait until the next round for an adj trackbar.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2707.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2708.JPG

Free mod in the interim. I don't like the glide plates (both the look or the price) and diff covers don't address the issue. So, I ran out the axle drain bolts (yes, I have a D30/35 Combo) and then got the grinder out. Took some material off the drain bolts and left enough for a ratchet to get a bite and then ran them back in; hit it with some rattle can rustoleum. I'm hoping this should delay any issues with catching a rock for now...

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2805.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2806.JPG

That was how the Jeep was for the next couple months until Labor Day rolled around and there were sales to be had and I had some cash to spend on the next iteration of mods. Continued on next post...

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Now that I went through the history of my Jeeps - it's on to the JL. Got it home and stripped it down, as is tradition.

I love having the top off the Jeep, so I built a cheap hardtop "hoist" from directions on a YouTube video.

First mod...got a chip in the windshield on the way home from the dealer. The summer heat took care of the rest about 3 days later. Luckily, it just went vertical and its on the passenger side, so I haven't bothered to fix it yet.

Added the stubby antenna...

...and the Rugged Ridge Door Sill Guards. They've held up great and seem to be doing their job, so far.

Next I bought a full-length SpiderWebShade to knock some of the sunlight off. It was great on my JK, so I ordered the same brand.

The shade was easy enough to install and I love the coverage, but its gotten stretched out around the freedom top panel latches where I have to pull the shade back to get them to latch. This has caused some minor flapping, but it's nothing too bothersome. With the hardtop, it may have been better to go with the two-piece design.

Had to move the camper over to the storage lot (~4400lbs, dry). Curiosity got the best of me so I moved the truck out of the way and hooked the JL up. I only drove about 2 miles at 35 MPH and the sideview mirrors were useless. With the WD hitch hooked up it was fairly level, but no trailer brake control either. Not recommended.

Next additions were some odds and ends. Bought a grab handle storage tray. I read about that tray potentially interfering with the airbag if you keep phones or other tall items in it. Something to be conscious about if you've got the same thing.

...A Mopar Storage Bin (it's rubberized, which is nice to prevent things from sliding around too much in there) for the winch gear, doorless mirrors, and windshield tie-downs.

As an aside - the Jeep came with the trail rail system. I would not purposely order it. I don't see a lot of utility in it and the rails collect a bunch of sand, dirt and debris that are a PITA to clean out.

Also bought a pack of JK drain plugs for the front floor mats to stop them from becoming a dirt depository.

I left it like that for a few months to accrue some more funds for the next round.

I began searching on FB Marketplace for some take-off rock sliders from a rubicon. Super easy to find, everyone seems to be selling them. They're not the best out there, but they're better than nothing. Bought some for $125 and took my stock steps off, and sold them a week later for $140. My wife and daughter weren't happy about losing their steps into the Jeep, but with a little extra momentum they mount up just fine.

Now it was time for a lift. I opted for the Rough Country 2.5" Spacer Lift. I went with shocks over the extensions, since I found my front Drivers Side Shock busted anyhow. Install was very easy. I didn't disconnect the driveshaft or loosen the control arms and it went in just fine. I also swapped the rear stock swaybar links and used those in the front, since the front RC ones had a fixed rubber bushing and a dog leg design that interfered with the tires when disconnected and flexed out. The front axle was also 1/2" off-center, but that would have to wait until the next round for an adj trackbar.

Free mod in the interim. I don't like the glide plates (both the look or the price) and diff covers don't address the issue. So, I ran out the axle drain bolts (yes, I have a D30/35 Combo) and then got the grinder out. Took some material off the drain bolts and left enough for a ratchet to get a bite and then ran them back in; hit it with some rattle can rustoleum. I'm hoping this should delay any issues with catching a rock for now...

That was how the Jeep was for the next couple months until Labor Day rolled around and there were sales to be had and I had some cash to spend on the next iteration of mods. Continued on next post...
Lifted photo looks very familiar :)
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build 1BDCC374-FB3D-4597-B183-8EE3BD9B7306

Sponsored

OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Finally got around to the next round of parts. NR4x4 had some good discounts going on top of their normally good deals, plus I used the forum discount. I was out camping in the Blue Ridge Mtns with my daughter over labor day weekend, so when I came home there was a nice pile of parts waiting for me. Spent this past week installing all of it after work. Some of the pictures are pretty dark since they were installed...at night. Can take others if anyone is interested in a specific item.

Had Tuesday off of work, and the kiddo was at school, so got to work on the Jeep...

To the tire store. Not pictured: the other two tires in the back seat of the truck. 5'7" beds don't hold a lot...

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2795.JPG

Mounted up. I have the supplies to paint the factory wheels black semi-gloss. I plan to do that this weekend.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2797.JPG

G2 1.75" Wheel Spacers. Made in China, so I wore a mask while handling.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2796.JPG

Still fits in the garage. Starting to look like a proper Jeep...

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2804.JPG

I can confirm that a 35" tire mounted on a factory rim will not fit on a stock tire carrier with plastic bumper (I tried). So I used the Rough Country (seeing a trend?) Spare tire Relocation Bracket. Easy install.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2815.JPG

Of note: I bought the "with rear sensors" bracket. This raises the spare 4.75". The instructions are for the regular bracket that raises it around 2.5". Result is that the bracket is so high that it does not allow enough slack in the third brake light / rrview cam wiring even after rerouting it. I'll figure something out this weekend, but that is how it sits for now (had to pop the grommet out to allow enough slack).

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2816.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2819.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2821.JPG

I bought the JL Tazer mini (not pictured). It was easy enough to install. Seems kinda glitchy, but so far it has done it's job. Ran through the local radar speed sign to verify the speedometer was set properly. And the "light show" function is gimmicky but my 5 year old thought it was cool.

After the tires, next came the winch and winch plate. Removed the factory air box to run the wires to the battery.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2823.JPG

The RH4x4 winch plate for plastic bumper is great. It is kinda chunky, but it doesn't look bad in person, especially once mounted on the Jeep. Plus, it is solidly mounted and 100% reversible should you want to go back to stock.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2822.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2824.JPG

In regards to the lift: The shocks were clearly meant for a heavy Jeep, and had made it ride like a dump truck when I had nothing else mounted on it. For essentially $50/shock I wasn't surprised. Thankfully, my suspicions were confirmed once I added some "sprung" weight to the Jeep (winch, spare tire, skid plates) that the ride would soften up.

Next up, I installed the AFE muffler delete pipe. Took all of 30 min (thankyou, air tools). The fitment was awesome. I had read about some other pipes not having the provisions for the little 'tit' on the stock pipe. The AFE does, along with some notching for a nice, tight fit. As for sound, I thought it was going to be louder. That is a good thing that it isn't. I don't even notice most of the time and when I do, I think the sound it great. And it's nice to get rid of that giant can in the back of the Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2825.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2826.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2827.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2828.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2829.JPG

Along the lines of functionality, I added some skids. The Rough Country Engine and Trans Skid. I opted out of the gas tank skid, since it doubled the price and gas is cheap right now. Aside from figuring out the right combo of socket extensions and universals to get at the mounting bolts on the front of the skid, it was an easy job. The powder coating on the skids is kinda shitty (common trend with rough country), but I have spray paint for that. They're solid. I can't justify the cost of a +$1400 full skid system. I needed a piece of sheet metal to protect some vital components, and I got it with these.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2810.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2811.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2812.JPG

I also added the rough country rear lower control arm/shock mount skids. Again, easy install and they'll get the job done on the cheap.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2807.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2808.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2809.JPG

Continued on next post...

OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
And finally to catch up to current status...

I splurged the $60 for some of the Mopar Lift front LCAs. They're only slightly longer than stock. But, I guess every bit counts...

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2836.JPG

Finally got that adjustable trackbar. Made it 1/4" longer than stock and now the front axle is all centered up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2837.JPG

While I had the trackbar out, I installed the clayton steering stabilizer relocation bracket along with the el cheapo rough country steering stabilizer. That really clears up a bunch of junk hanging off the bottom of the axle. I saw online the stabilizer and bracket mounted several ways. After toying with it, I mounted it the way that gave me no interference through the full turning or suspension cycle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2838.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Dad Jeep Build IMG_2839.JPG

I wanted to go wheeling out at uwharrie this weekend, but the weather is cruddy. So I think I'll check everyhing over, paint the wheels and wait until possibly next weekend to give it a shakedown run. But I am happy with how it turned out so far.

OP
OP
TOOBSOCK

TOOBSOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Sounds like a really cool build - thanks for sharing! I’m also always on the hunt for mods to help make my JLUR a little more comfortable for my wife and two young daughters - again, very cool.
Thanks for the comment. Always a great time getting the ladies of the family out in the Jeep, in any way that you can.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase