Sponsored

Painting hardtop underside black (with bedliner spray)

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Has anybody ever put fabric over the inside of the hard top? Not just the stick on mopar headliners, but actually upholstered the top?
Sponsored

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Has anybody ever put fabric over the inside of the hard top? Not just the stick on mopar headliners, but actually upholstered the top?
Same question almost. I wonder how the Mopar headliners are attached? I'd like to do this but I have ordered the headliners and would want to reinstall after.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Same question almost. I wonder how the Mopar headliners are attached? I'd like to do this but I have ordered the headliners and would want to reinstall after.
IDK but the JL I drive with the factory headliner was already loose. Must be adhesive only to about a few inches from the edge because two edges were hanging the whole length. I decided against factory headliner when I saw that and will explore aftermarket or install mopar liner if I need a fall back.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
IDK but the JL I drive with the factory headliner was already loose. Must be adhesive only to about a few inches from the edge because two edges were hanging the whole length. I decided against factory headliner when I saw that and will explore aftermarket or install mopar liner if I need a fall back.
Go for the hot head headliners, they won’t sag and perform very well.... had them for years on my JKs with zero issues, great quality and service.

OP
OP
Rubi-Zero

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
yes, I have seen this done years ago in the original thread I created for the JK top on a different forum. The member that had his top upholstered on the inside, If I remember correctly, ended up having problems with receiving signals. I vaguely remember something along those lines.

Sponsored

Manno

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma
Occupation
US Army
I like both of those products for other things but for me I decided against it with the top because they are very rough in texture because the grit is large. The Dupli Color is very fine texture and I really liked the finish it gave. Also with all supplies it cost me less than $80.
Did you paint the bottom lip where the screws attach the top to the body? The Dupli Color looks pretty thin but I'm looking at Line-X and am curious how much material can be added to that area. Side note, greetings from Clarksville!

I'm going to get a quote from Rino liner or Line X to see what they will charge me? I think that application would be functional and look good. Good write-up though
Any luck getting a quote? My JLs in still in Toledo but the local shop here ball parked it 650-1000 without seeing the top and depending on prep work.

OP
OP
Rubi-Zero

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Did you paint the bottom lip where the screws attach the top to the body? The Dupli Color looks pretty thin but I'm looking at Line-X and am curious how much material can be added to that area. Side note, greetings from Clarksville!

Any luck getting a quote? My JLs in still in Toledo but the local shop here ball parked it 650-1000 without seeing the top and depending on prep work.
I did not spray the bottom of the top were it attaches to the body along the back of the hard top. I would like to hear what a quote from Line-x would be. I do like Line-x but man If its that much as stated above, I would rather that money go to a different mod, because this was something I was capable of doing myself.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer

I have not had the time, but I hope it isn't that much! Lol

Steamboat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Volvo XC90
They are velcro-ed in. Literally 2-3 strips of velcro (maybe 8" each). Very unimpressed. I didn't order them after I looked at them more closely in person. Definitely not worth $500.

Sponsored

GOOFY47

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ocean Blue Sahara
Occupation
Computers
Have you noticed any difference in the inside as far as noise and when it rains?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Let's suppose that a JL/U owner hasn't purchased the MOPAR headliners with the rig, and they want to do this and have Hot Head Headliners.

Can it be done? What's the procedure/order of things? Will the headliners adhere to the painted surface? Would it be better to install the headliners first, mask them off, and then paint around them?

Malve

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 2012 QX56
Occupation
CEO
I have a lease although I’m considering buying it out. In the mean time, painting isn’t an option. With that in mind, I may vinyl wrap the inside of the top. It could be a fun project and would be easy removable. Loads of color choices too.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I met with Line X yesterday, We went over the whole project and he suggested their product know as Line X Ultra, it's not as thick, hard and has a nice, more glossy finish. We are in planning phase, and owner wants to do on a Saturday, (no other vehicles around). The price you ask.....? Well, he gave me a range between $500 - $600 (about the same as Head Liners). That's for everything prep, primer and Line X Ultra. So hopefully we will get it scheduled soon, with this weather MD is having next month is most realistic.

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I met with Line X yesterday, We went over the whole project and he suggested their product know as Line X Ultra, it's not as thick, hard and has a nice, more glossy finish. We are in planning phase, and owner wants to do on a Saturday, (no other vehicles around). The price you ask.....? Well, he gave me a range between $500 - $600 (about the same as Head Liners). That's for everything prep, primer and Line X Ultra. So hopefully we will get it scheduled soon, with this weather MD is having next month is most realistic.[/QU

As a fellow Marylander I am very interested in seeing how this turns out especially since we have the exact same Jeep. What part of Maryland are you located and where is the work being done if you don't mind me asking.
Sponsored