Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Apparently a pin broke off in the motor. At first Rock Slide wasn't interested in covering it under the warranty. They said that I had to have driven with the step down. Eventually it was decided that the unit would be covered. This makes me nervous about the unit. No word on when the replacement parts will be available or delivered.
Sponsored

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
They’re a terrible company with crap designs. The entire idea of calling themselves Rockslide is false and deceptive advertising.

Worst mod I’ve ever made to my Jeep. Total waste of money.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmm... a $500 slider for your $2000 slider???
The parts came in and will be installed this next Saturday. Rock slide said that they wouldn't consider replacing it again. I wish I knew more about the company when I bought the sliders. The slider wouldn't retract then the pin in the motor snapped. Really bad design.

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The parts came in and will be installed this next Saturday. Rock slide said that they wouldn't consider replacing it again. I wish I knew more about the company when I bought the sliders. The slider wouldn't retract then the pin in the motor snapped. Really bad design.
To me, this screams class action lawsuit. Plenty of plaintiffs already.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The slider was repaired today. Apparently the pin that moves the step had a slight bend in it allowing the connector bar to come off. The motor assembly was replaced. I was told that the magnet on the door can move and no longer line up with the sensor which would cause the step not to return. While the work was done I had the additional skid plate installed.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for posting. I was looking to order this but between the poor design and their hesitation to cover the warranty, I think I'll pass. It seems like an expensive headache. I'll go with a real rock slider instead.
The main reason I bought the slider is because getting into the jeep, even with 33 inch tires, means throwing my leg up and in. Not really a problem for me but almost impossible for the wife. I would have to have a box or something else for her to get in. Overall the slider seems okay and if the initial problem was the magnet moving I can keep my eyes on it. Now even when I finally get the 37 inch tires and 3.5 lift it will be easier to get into the jeep.

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Had mine for a year now. I’d say about once every couple months, one of them doesn’t retract. I open and close the door and that “fixes” it. One time that did not work and I hit the reset switch which worked. Not sure why it happens. It’s not the magnet. They really have been great for my wife and kids. Otherwise it would be a daily comedy show watching them try to get in and out! However, I do have to say that it is dangerous when we are in the Jeep, open the door and they don’t retract. Especially for my short wife and young kids. They have gone to step out expecting the step and it’s not there. It’s a pretty big unexpected drop when that happens.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had mine for a year now. I’d say about once every couple months, one of them doesn’t retract. I open and close the door and that “fixes” it. One time that did not work and I hit the reset switch which worked. Not sure why it happens. It’s not the magnet. They really have been great for my wife and kids. Otherwise it would be a daily comedy show watching them try to get in and out! However, I do have to say that it is dangerous when we are in the Jeep, open the door and they don’t retract. Especially for my short wife and young kids. They have gone to step out expecting the step and it’s not there. It’s a pretty big unexpected drop when that happens.
Thanks for your feedback. I do appreciate the step. I am not the young person I used to be. This is really going to be important to me when I lift it. I installed the skid plate on the slider and went ahead and put the rock guard above the slider. I will post a picture.

I ordered the MC underarmor and rear diff skid and hopefully they will ship this week. It's going on 4 weeks but that isn't an issue because it is still to hot to go out in the desert.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a couple of pictures of the slider with the skid and rock guard.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock slide Engineering fail 20200913_082039
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock slide Engineering fail 20200913_082110
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock slide Engineering fail 20200913_082133

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
The main reason I bought the slider is because getting into the jeep, even with 33 inch tires, means throwing my leg up and in. Not really a problem for me but almost impossible for the wife. I would have to have a box or something else for her to get in. Overall the slider seems okay and if the initial problem was the magnet moving I can keep my eyes on it. Now even when I finally get the 37 inch tires and 3.5 lift it will be easier to get into the jeep.
This was the same reason I was looking to buy the RSE steps. I'll be adding a 2.5" lift and 37" tires in the coming months so this would help my wife and kids get in a little easier. There's no reason to get rock sliders since I'm not sure there's a rock bigger than a pebble anywhere in FL, but most rock sliders can double as a step. I didn't want to go this route, but this is not the first negative review I've read about RSE.

We all know the RSE steps will fail eventually. When they do, it's nice to know the company stands behind their product. Them saying they won't replace a broken component again for you is a deal breaker to me, especially if the failure is due to poor design. I'm just not sure I want to make that $2K commitment if there's any question about the quality of the product or the company itself.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Thanks for posting. I was looking to order this but between the poor design and their hesitation to cover the warranty, I think I'll pass. It seems like an expensive headache. I'll go with a real rock slider instead.
Same here. I’ve got a son with a disability and other kids so I was looking at RSE but for that kind of money, it sounds like they quickly went to accusing a customer of crawling with a step down. SMH

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was the same reason I was looking to buy the RSE steps. I'll be adding a 2.5" lift and 37" tires in the coming months so this would help my wife and kids get in a little easier. There's no reason to get rock sliders since I'm not sure there's a rock bigger than a pebble anywhere in FL, but most rock sliders can double as a step. I didn't want to go this route, but this is not the first negative review I've read about RSE.

We all know the RSE steps will fail eventually. When they do, it's nice to know the company stands behind their product. Them saying they won't replace a broken component again for you is a deal breaker to me, especially if the failure is due to poor design. I'm just not sure I want to make that $2K commitment if there's any question about the quality of the product or the company itself.
100% don’t waste your money.
Sponsored