Sponsored

Does anybody have any regrets for NOT getting a Diesel?

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
No, I don't. I have driven nothing but diesel trucks and vehicles for the past 15 years. I owned a 2012 Ram 3500 diesel, purchased new, and I cannot stand the new diesels with all the emissions garbage. A product and design which tells me that I am going into limp mode and will be limited to 5 mph in X miles due to some emissions gobblygook is not something I will buy.

The government has strangled diesels. This says nothing of the massive amount of engine failures on the 3.0 in the Ram trucks. NO THANKS. I HAPPILY ordered a little 2.0 turbo! I have kept one of my old diesel trucks - a 1997 12 valve - and that will probably be the last diesel I own. Again, the government and the emissions systems have ruined them.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I only read the first page of this thread, so perhaps this point of view has already been expressed: the majority of responses home in on the fact that MPG savings are not enough to offset the extra costs of the power train. I didn't buy the diesel for fuel savings; I bought it for endless amounts of low-end torque. FWIW, I suspect the vast majority of diesel purchasers feel the same way.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
As a longtime Jeep owner, I'm amused at the affinity for the Pentastar. I ordered one of the very first Pentastars in 2011 (MY 2012) and recall a huge amount of angst among JK forum members: unproven, Italian (God forbid), more complex. Now the latest generation of owners have the (exact) same complaints about the EcoDiesel and are rubbing-the-fur-off-the-bunny about the Pentastar. Don't get me wrong, I love the Pentastar, and it's earned it's stripes, but I've owned two, and It's time for a change.

Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
A product and design which tells me that I am going into limp mode and will be limited to 5 mph in X miles due to some emissions gobblygook is not something I will buy.
People like "I can't be bothered to put DEF in the tank..." somehow remember to change their oil and put gas in the tank.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As a longtime Jeep owner, I'm amused at the affinity for the Pentastar. I ordered one of the very first Pentastars in 2011 (MY 2012) and recall a huge amount of angst among JK forum members: unproven, Italian (God forbid), more complex. Now the latest generation of owners have the (exact) same complaints about the EcoDiesel and are rubbing-the-fur-off-the-bunny about the Pentastar. Don't get me wrong, I love the Pentastar, and it's earned it's stripes, but I've owned two, and It's time for a change.
That angst is the direct result of FCA’s inconsistent quality. If it introduced reliable motors on an ongoing basis, the amount of unnecessary palpitations would vanish.

Now the angst is with the new EcoDiesel motor. I know a couple of people who got a Gladiator EcoDiesel and already wish they hadn’t.

American automakers normally get a pass with V8 engines, though. And Chrysler has a long tradition building HEMIs. Whenever Jeep introduces the Wrangler 392, the only things holding people back will be the price and fuel economy.

Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Yes ..... everything I own is diesel..... trucks tractors.... and my Jeep is gas!!!!!!

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
Maybe if it came with manual and true 4.10, otherwise I’m good with the V6 and extra $6K towards mods

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
No, I don't. I have driven nothing but diesel trucks and vehicles for the past 15 years. I owned a 2012 Ram 3500 diesel, purchased new, and I cannot stand the new diesels with all the emissions garbage. A product and design which tells me that I am going into limp mode and will be limited to 5 mph in X miles due to some emissions gobblygook is not something I will buy.

The government has strangled diesels. This says nothing of the massive amount of engine failures on the 3.0 in the Ram trucks. NO THANKS. I HAPPILY ordered a little 2.0 turbo! I have kept one of my old diesel trucks - a 1997 12 valve - and that will probably be the last diesel I own. Again, the government and the emissions systems have ruined them.
Compare the power figures on your 1997 and a modern diesel pickup - they aren't even close. Why? Power numbers sell new diesel trucks. Longevity doesn't (although that is how many purchases are justified), HP and TQ numbers sell them. Those HP and TQ numbers require more emissions equipment.

The government didn't ruin diesels, truck bros did.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Compare the power figures on your 1997 and a modern diesel pickup - they aren't even close. Why? Power numbers sell new diesel trucks. Longevity doesn't (although that is how many purchases are justified), HP and TQ numbers sell them. Those HP and TQ numbers require more emissions equipment.

Good point.

Perhaps if automakers were made to publish an estimated number of miles each motor is expected to last, FCA would have been forced to use better parts on that EcoDiesel...

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired

Maybe a little more research and you might change your mind. 600hp and 1800 lbs of torque Diesel engines had been in our big rigs for many years before particulate filters where mandated by.....yes the government.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Blaming the government for clean air is as pointless as blaming your cardiologist for eating healthy.

Sure, blaming the government for everything that is “wrong” is cheap and easy, but it gets old.

The reality is we live in a golden era of the automobile, notwithstanding all the safety and environmental regulations.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many

In factory configuration no, but my 1997 is modified and has 725 lb ft of torque to the rear wheels. That's almost as much as the new ones. But that's neither here nor there, because "truck bros" have nothing to do with the emissions requirements. Even if they kept the engines at 440 lb ft of torque from the factory, they'd still be requiring a DPF to clean up the soot, so your point is invalid.

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
Blaming the government for clean air is as pointless as blaming your cardiologist for eating healthy.

Sure, blaming the government for everything that is “wrong” is cheap and easy, but it gets old.

The reality is we live in a golden era of the automobile, notwithstanding all the safety and environmental regulations.

Agreed, this is the one thing I don’t understand about the forum that I see often.

JamesJimmyD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU 2022 Gladiator Sport S
just traded my 2017 1500 longhorn 4x4 ram eco diesel in for a 3.6 wrangler, ill never do diesel again very expensive oil changes, added cost of DEF, not to mention the upgraded cost of the engine alone...do the math to see if its worth it, i drive 25k miles a year the extra few miles i got over gas wasn't worth the expense...just my opinion from personal experience.....

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
just traded my 2017 1500 longhorn 4x4 ram eco diesel in for a 3.6 wrangler, ill never do diesel again very expensive oil changes, added cost of DEF, not to mention the upgraded cost of the engine alone...do the math to see if its worth it, i drive 25k miles a year the extra few miles i got over gas wasn't worth the expense...just my opinion from personal experience.....
It's not about cost savings for most of us, but if it was, you'd be absolutely right. I drive my Jeep 4,000 miles/year so clearly the math doesn't work for me. Can you spell T-O-R-Q-U-E.
Sponsored

Reactions: GtX