Sponsored

3.6L vs 2.0 turbo?? Pros and cons of both??

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Well you almost have most of that right except weight...

"The four-cylinder is 55 lbs heavier than the V6; the automatic transmission weighs 15 lbs less than the manual."
Ok. You got me.

Correction: The 2.0T beats the 3.6 in every way except weight. The 3.6 is an older design, gets worse fuel mileage, has less torque and horsepower, accelerates slower, but weighs what amounts to one Grp 27 battery less than the 2.0T.

Sorry for the earlier misstatement.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
A little off topic but......Why do you disable the start/stop when you have the eTorque? I get it if you had the non-eTorque 3.6 due to the high probability of having starting and electrical issues due to the very small auxiliary battery. But the eTorque system start/stop is very smooth and seamless. It doesn't have the same electrical issues which are so prevalent with the non-eTorque system.
I will be the first to admit that the ESS is pretty smooth on the 3.6 e-torque. But I do notice that ESS engine stops affect the AC, and frankly it's been hot and humid as hell in Virginia this summer. So I often find myself disabling the ESS when I'm driving around town.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I will be the first to admit that the ESS is pretty smooth on the 3.6 e-torque. But I do notice that ESS engine stops affect the AC, and frankly it's been hot and humid as hell in Virginia this summer. So I often find myself disabling the ESS when I'm driving around town.

Hmm. If it is like what is in my 2.0, it should keep the engine on if it is actively cooling. I do think that it allows for about a 4 degree variance, but it isn't that noticeable for me, even on 100°+ days.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Hmm. If it is like what is in my 2.0, it should keep the engine on if it is actively cooling. I do think that it allows for about a 4 degree variance, but it isn't that noticeable for me, even on 100°+ days.

My ESS shuts off the engine when the AC is on. It tapers off real fast. I just disable it.

Sam

Sponsored

Alanaloo

First Name
Alana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Edition
That is crazy, I am sorry to hear that, what was the engine doing? Did they tell you how long it would take to get that done?
Crazy indeed! This entire thing has been a nightmare.
I noticed the issue when I was accelerating, I was getting the herky jerky. I took it straight to the dealership and they diagnosed a misfire on cylinder 1. Then the issue with the metal grounding tip on the spark plug being gone and nowhere to be found was the reason for a complete engine swap. All of this 2 weeks after I drove it off the lot and 600 miles. It took right at 2 weeks for the repair. However when I went to pick it up I noticed the right front fender flares was completely scratched up from the service techs, I was livid . So they offered to replace that while I waited. After about an hour the service manager came out and told me that he noticed something rattling and it just didn't sound right. He took another look and found a loose bolt on the exhaust, it was somewhat stripped. Of course they didn't have a replacement bolt and just couldn't let me drive away in that condition so they had to keep it for a few more days to get that repaired. But they were going to let me drive away the first time with the scratched fender flares and loose bolt. Hmmmmm.....
Well, I have my Jeep and it just doesn't seem the same. I am constantly wondering if something else will go wrong or if something is still wrong. Is it in my head....maybe, but my faith in this vehicle has been shook!

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
It certainly ruins the enjoyment of having a brand new Jeep. That said...drive it for a while and let things break in a bit. I’m guessing you’ll feel better about it in a week or two.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Crazy indeed! This entire thing has been a nightmare.
I noticed the issue when I was accelerating, I was getting the herky jerky. I took it straight to the dealership and they diagnosed a misfire on cylinder 1. Then the issue with the metal grounding tip on the spark plug being gone and nowhere to be found was the reason for a complete engine swap. All of this 2 weeks after I drove it off the lot and 600 miles. It took right at 2 weeks for the repair. However when I went to pick it up I noticed the right front fender flares was completely scratched up from the service techs, I was livid . So they offered to replace that while I waited. After about an hour the service manager came out and told me that he noticed something rattling and it just didn't sound right. He took another look and found a loose bolt on the exhaust, it was somewhat stripped. Of course they didn't have a replacement bolt and just couldn't let me drive away in that condition so they had to keep it for a few more days to get that repaired. But they were going to let me drive away the first time with the scratched fender flares and loose bolt. Hmmmmm.....
Well, I have my Jeep and it just doesn't seem the same. I am constantly wondering if something else will go wrong or if something is still wrong. Is it in my head....maybe, but my faith in this vehicle has been shook!
It gives me no pleasure to say it, but I told you so...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
What??? That’s a crappy asshat response....
Clearly you have no idea about a previous conversation.

On another thread I encouraged Alanaloo to take the dealer’s offer to have her then 2-week old Jeep replaced with a new one. It was going to be an arduous process, but a choice she would be happier with in the long run. Instead, she chose to keep her Jeep and have the dealer replace the motor. She was totally in her right.

But as can be expected, more so with FCA dealers, things never go as planned and now she is unhappy with the Jeep.

I would be too if I had a brand-new, very expensive Jeep that just spent three of the past five weeks in the shop, has a new motor, damaged body work, an exhaust with stripped mounts that rattles, and who knows what else will pop up at this point.

Live and learn, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Alanaloo

First Name
Alana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Edition
Clearly you have no idea about a previous conversation.

On another thread I encouraged Alanaloo to take the dealer’s offer to have her then 2-week old Jeep replaced with a new one. It was going to be an arduous process, but a choice she would be happier with in the long run. Instead, she chose to keep her Jeep and have the dealer replace the motor. She was totally in her right.

But as can be expected, more so with FCA dealers, things never go as planned and now she is unhappy with the Jeep.

I would be too if I had a brand-new, very expensive Jeep that just spent three of the past five weeks in the shop, has a new motor, damaged body work, an exhaust with stripped mounts that rattles, and who knows what else will pop up at this point.

Live and learn, unfortunately.
Aldo98229 you are correct. Taking your previous advice and working with FCA on getting this resolved with a new Jeep. The process will be anything but painless. I'll keep ya posted.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Aldo98229 you are correct. Taking your previous advice and working with FCA on getting this resolved with a new Jeep. The process will be anything but painless. I'll keep ya posted.
That’s great news!

It is awesome that your dealer still honored that option after-the-fact. Sounds like they are really trying to bend over backwards to make you happy. That’s half the battle right there.

Best of luck.

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 2018 Jaguar F-pace, 2002 Mercedes SLK,
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
From Car and Driver.

Unlimited Sahara 3.6

Curb weight: 4,469 lbs

Zero to 60 mph: 6.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 20.1 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 28.7 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.0 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.3 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.2 sec @ 90 mph

Unlimited Sahara 2.0 BSG

Curb weight: 4,549 lbs

Zero to 60 mph: 6.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 20.1 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 27.7 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 7.6 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.8 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 5.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.2 sec @ 90 mph
Car and Driver is the "perfect world".

As I noted in my longer earlier post, the big factor is simply the altitude you drive at. A turbo maintains power at high altitude and the normally aspirated does not. at 7000' crossing peaks and running around the Tahoe rim the pressure is about 11psi instead of 14.7. The simple physics are that there is 25% less air to be sucked down the intake and combine with fuel.

The turbo runs premium only so the fuel cost per mile runs me about the same.

Having had both, if you live in a low lying area and don't spend a lot of time on the road, get the 3.6 and save the uncharge. If you live in Denver or spend a lot of time at altitude I am sure you will be pleased with the 2.0t. The turbo is my daily driver now, although I am looking forward to testing the turbo eDiesel.

If you want to see my full opinion as the current owner of both, hit my profile and check out the earlier post.

Cheers
Scott aka COOLTOYS TV guy.

CoolToys

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltoys.tv
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 2018 Jaguar F-pace, 2002 Mercedes SLK,
Occupation
CoolToys® TV Host
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't realize the pressure difference was that great.

Interesting stuff:
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L vs 2.0 turbo?? Pros and cons of both?? atmospherevsaltitude
Yup and it makes a difference when you decide to spend the big upcharge (just noticed spell check changes this to uncharge) for a Turbo or not. Here is an article on the Jiffy Lube website.

https://www.jiffylubesocal.com/jiffy-lube-blog/2015/09/the-effects-of-altitude-on-your-vehicle/

They get the 3% right for loss of pressure, but what they miss is negative pressure loss effects a normally aspirated engine at a greater rate because it is trying to suck air through a pipe that doesn't grow as the air expands. Additionally the level of oxygen drops making combustion less efficient. At 11:1 compression motor is suddenly a 9:1 or 8:1.

The effects of altitude are compounding effects all working against your engine. There is a greater loss of power just making power. A turbo or super charger gives it a fighting chance.

Another show took a normally aspirated (non-turbo) Jeep to 10,000 feet and it wouldn't even run unless it was on piped in Oxygen from a tank.

I don't just host CoolToys TV, I fly jets too.

S
Sponsored