Sponsored

anyone makes a lower temp thermostat ?

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
the jeep runs a bit too hot for my taste, so im looking for a lower thermostat, something in the 160-180 range.
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
the jeep runs a bit too hot for my taste, so im looking for a lower thermostat, something in the 160-180 range.
Your "taste" is irrelevant in modern vehicles, changing the thermostat temps will send the vehicles computer (the only opinion that matters) into a fit, good luck with all those check engine lights...

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s too hot? It was designed to run in a certain temperature range.
203 at idle is too hot, on the highway i see 230 and unless im in 8th gear the temps start to creep up the highest i saw was 244.
Your "taste" is irrelevant in modern vehicles, changing the thermostat temps will send the vehicles computer (the only opinion that matters) into a fit, good luck with all those check engine lights...
i mean if a 180 thermostat threw a check engine light, it will throw a code that you look up and it tells you that the thermostat is stuck open, i don't think it will go into limp mode, i had 2 chevys and the check engine light is never off but incase it does, just clear the cel throw the old thermostat on and live with it.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
203 at idle is too hot, on the highway i see 230 and unless im in 8th gear the temps start to creep up the highest i saw was 244.

i mean if a 180 thermostat threw a check engine light, it will throw a code that you look up and it tells you that the thermostat is stuck open, i don't think it will go into limp mode, i had 2 chevys and the check engine light is never off but incase it does, just clear the cel throw the old thermostat on and live with it.
Those are normal temperatures in a hot climate. 200 at idle is definitely not too hot.

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Back yard mechanics use to say that about Jeep V8's back in the day because Ford and Chevy ran colder temp. thermostates. They where wrong. Jeep engineers knew what they wanted then and now.

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it probably wont but a 160-180 idle vs 203 is what im looking for, im not forcing anyone or telling anyone its better, i just wanted to know if any one makes a low temp thermostat. The oem thermostat 195 or 200 is doing its job at idle but as soon as i go off road or drive it for while the temps hit 230 and by then the thermostat is open and has no say in maintaining temp, so a lower temp thermostat may or may not give me a cooler idle temp but im willing to give it a shot.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
it probably wont but a 160-180 idle vs 203 is what im looking for, im not forcing anyone or telling anyone its better, i just wanted to know if any one makes a low temp thermostat. The oem thermostat 195 or 200 is doing its job at idle but as soon as i go off road or drive it for while the temps hit 230 and by then the thermostat is open and has no say in maintaining temp, so a lower temp thermostat may or may not give me a cooler idle temp but im willing to give it a shot.
I don’t think you really understand how a cooling system works. Just because the thermostat opens at 160 or 180 doesn’t mean that’s what your idle temperature will be. Also your idle temp has little to no bearing on what your max temp will be.

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think you really understand how a cooling system works. Just because the thermostat opens at 160 or 180 doesn’t mean that’s what your idle temperature will be.
i never said thats how it works, i said that the cooling system is maintaining the minimum operating temp of the oem thermostat at 203, can it maintain a idle temp of 190 with a 190 thermostat ? 180 with a 180 thermostat ? i dont know maybe maybe not. il give it a shot and make a video if you can link me a lower temp thermostat, if it doesnt maintain a lower idle temp you get to say i told you so.

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
Since many people report the engine knock at high temps, it would be interesting to see if a lower temp would keep the mixture richer, therefore eliminating the knocking. The theory is the mix is too lean at higher temps.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
i never said thats how it works, i said that the cooling system is maintaining the minimum operating temp of the oem thermostat at 203, can it maintain a idle temp of 190 with a 190 thermostat ? 180 with a 180 thermostat ? i dont know maybe maybe not. il give it a shot and make a video if you can link me a lower temp thermostat, if it doesnt maintain a lower idle temp you get to say i told you so.
My idle temps on a 3.6 MT get over 215 on a hot day when sitting for a while. Do I have a 220 degree thermostat?

As seen in the diesel threads, we likely have a temp sender in an uncommon place - maybe it's in the cylinder head in the hottest possible location? Coolant temp measured in a more traditional location may actually be more like what you are used to.