Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yea figured. Not confident in the techs there knowing how to properly torque the tie rod ends on the steersmarts, as they are tricky and a pain lol.
I hear you on that. It's happily pay for the parts and install them myself, rather than risk the chance of having some nitwit touching my Jeep. It's the software update that dead ends me.
Sponsored

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Dropped off my JL on Friday at Browning Jeep in Norco CA to get the TSB done, just got a call this morning from the service tech stating that he contacted Chrysler and they told him that they cannot perform the TSB due to a lift, and to put it back to stock to see if the problem still exists. Even after mentioning that i always had this issue.
They're either lying or whoever they contacted is as incompetent as the tech.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Newbie question here: I have been noticing a slight steering wander on the Highway. The wander is especially noticeable when I am on the Highway at 65MPH plus and my soft top is fully folded. When I am driving with the top and windows fully up, it is still there but not as bad. Guess this may fix that issue?

It looks like new Gear Box may not arrive at dealerships till mid September. Just to be safe, should I call up my dealer and set an appointment? I was anticipating there being a line of people wanting to get this done once FCA Mails in the steering recall to all 2018 to 2020 JL, JLU and JT drivers. If the diagnostic software does show that there is an issue, any idea how long the replacement may take at the dealer once they start working on it? The recall said 2 hours. Hoping they stick to that.
Have you checked your caster? Too little caster will cause wandering, especially at highway speeds.

I would absolutely get in line for a new steering gear, but also check your caster. Rubicons have the same LCAs as the other Jeeps but sit higher, causing a lower caster angle.

My Rubicons were both 4.7° and the mopar LCAs took my '19 to 6.0°, which helped. I put adjustable LCAs on my '20 and the caster is at around 7° and that makes it much more stable.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Have you checked your caster? Too little caster will cause wandering, especially at highway speeds.

I would absolutely get in line for a new steering gear, but also check your caster. Rubicons have the same LCAs as the other Jeeps but sit higher, causing a lower caster angle.

My Rubicons were both 4.7° and the mopar LCAs took my '19 to 6.0°, which helped. I put adjustable LCAs on my '20 and the caster is at around 7° and that makes it much more stable.
Update: just called my dealer (Westbury CDJR in Long Island). They are one of the best dealerships in all of the North East. But now I am a little confused. The customer rep said she is not aware of any service bulletins on my particular model (2020 JLUR, 3.6 Pentastar, 8 spd Auto, no eTorque). She recommended checking again with them in the future as they are not aware of anything. She didn't even take the service bulletin number from me. ummm.......what???? Then how do they explain this link:https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/tsb-08-074-20-pdf.356442/

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Update: just called my dealer (Westbury CDJR in Long Island). They are one of the best dealerships in all of the North East. But now I am a little confused. The customer rep said she is not aware of any service bulletins on my particular model (2020 JLUR, 3.6 Pentastar, 8 spd Auto, no eTorque). She recommended checking again with them in the future as they are not aware of anything. She didn't even take the service bulletin number from me. ummm.......what???? Then how do they explain this link:https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/tsb-08-074-20-pdf.356442/
Ugh. FCA needs to get on their dealers about this.

I would print out the TSB and show them.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yeah I would print it out and nicely deliver it to her and calmly tell her that there is a new fangled thing called a computer , that allows all information to be accessed by another cool thing called the internet! and that THIS DOCUMENT COMES STRAIGHT FROM FCA!!!! She might want to throw you out but when they are that condescending they deserve it right back!

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
Although mine was never super bad, the TSB fixed it so well that I literally needed to relearn how to steer it! Before it was like driving on a ball... fine for a while then rolling off the side with the steering. So perfect now!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Newbie question here: I have been noticing a slight steering wander on the Highway. The wander is especially noticeable when I am on the Highway at 65MPH plus and my soft top is fully folded. When I am driving with the top and windows fully up, it is still there but not as bad. Guess this may fix that issue?

It looks like new Gear Box may not arrive at dealerships till mid September. Just to be safe, should I call up my dealer and set an appointment? I was anticipating there being a line of people wanting to get this done once FCA Mails in the steering recall to all 2018 to 2020 JL, JLU and JT drivers. If the diagnostic software does show that there is an issue, any idea how long the replacement may take at the dealer once they start working on it? The recall said 2 hours. Hoping they stick to that.
its not a recall, and it will take about a week to a month depending on scheduling at your particular dealership.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
its not a recall, and it will take about a week to a month depending on scheduling at your particular dealership.
I am in no hurry as I need the Jeep this weekend and maybe even the next. My dealership has not been exactly helpful yet.

jeepfam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Link to TSB 08-074-20: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.56363/

Update: Just got down with my 10 miles test drive and I’m happy to say that al of the steering issues are GONE!! Super excited to report that.

Wander and deadspot 100% gone in my jeep. No steering box brace only a Steersmarts Yeti HD trac bar. AEV 2.5 lift with 38in Milestars on Mopar Beadlocks

My impressions on video:​

New steering gear parts:

2D107EB2-5FD0-45C9-A127-80C5DB2D32C7.jpeg
0701AC6D-DD15-4287-A454-C7D5C5A4772F.jpeg
Quick question for you. I just had the new box put on mine. Love it! I do notice more feedback in the steering wheel when going over bumps in the road. It definitely doesn't walk around like it used to but it's much more noticeable in the wheel. I'm guessing the tighter steering is sending more feedback to the wheel when the tires (37's) are going over rougher parts in the road. Are you noticing that too?

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
Has anyone received an update on how to perform the update if you are past warranty?
I am out of warranty. Jeep Cares escalated my issue form this thread on the forum. I received a call from Marvin in Corporate this morning. 9/1/20. He has approved the repair. He has ordered the parts. And is in the process of contacting my local dealers Service Manager. To authorize the repairs. I could not be happier. 58,000 miles on my 2018 JLU Sport S.
Sponsored