Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Honestly, my Jeep drives just fine. Being a member of this forum has made me paranoid so I'm always checking it, but I've never had a complaint or noticed anything funny with the steering.

My other car is a Jaguar XK, so, sure if I hop out of that and into the Jeep there is a noticeable difference, but really I have zero complaints about my Jeep so far (except how stupidly difficult it is to engage 4WD...) ;-)

Myron
Thanks Myron! I had the same experience with mine.

Keep working at that 4WD engagement ;)

-Steven
Sponsored

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
Hopefully they do a recall and we all can have the new unit. The only one I've had so far on my '19 JLUR has been for the windows (soft top). Was more of an "inspection" than an actual replacement of any parts.

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Sorry for my ignorance, how do you tell if it is broken/defective, is there just a ton of play in the steering? Thanks so much!

Sponsored

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Honestly, my Jeep drives just fine. Being a member of this forum has made me paranoid so I'm always checking it, but I've never had a complaint or noticed anything funny with the steering.

My other car is a Jaguar XK, so, sure if I hop out of that and into the Jeep there is a noticeable difference, but really I have zero complaints about my Jeep so far (except how stupidly difficult it is to engage 4WD...) ;-)

Myron
Sorry to sound like a rich, entitled Jag-owning dick up there. I am anything but, and I will say if you ever want to become paranoid about all the things that *could* go wrong with your car, buy a second hand Jaguar and join one of the Jaguar forums. :)

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
but really I have zero complaints about my Jeep so far (except how stupidly difficult it is to engage 4WD...) ;-)
I know that's right! :like:

Later,
Johnny

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Myron
Your Jeep either has the wandering steering or it doesn’t. It is not like the steering is fine and then starts to develop the issue.

So if you are happy with the steering on your JL, you don’t have anything to worry about.

Having said, I hope FCA issues a recall. The steering on my JL is “okay,” but it could use less slop.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
My 2020 Recon with a build date 6/20 has the new Steering Gear Box, and the steering feel is great.

It would be interesting to see when the new steering gear went onto the assembly line?

-Steven
My 2020 Rubicon also has a 6/20 build date, but I have the old aluminum box. Must have been sometime in June.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
It is not like the steering is fine and then starts to develop the issue.
I disagree, my steering was fine from Jan 2019 until May 2020, then I ran into excess play on long hot drives to the point where it became alarming. These aluminum boxes become very sloppy when the box & fluid get hot, at least that's been my experience. If you haven't been on long hot drives (temps in the 100 degree range) maybe you just haven't got to that "slop point" yet. If you have been on those type drives and it still feels good I'd think that would be more of an anomaly.
FWIW I would recommend anyone w/ the old aluminum box to get in the que for the new one, from all I've read it will improve w/ almost 100% certainty.

Sponsored

Null

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My 2020 Rubicon also has a 6/20 build date, but I have the old aluminum box. Must have been sometime in June.
From what I read in a different thread (can't find the thread), some one said none of the 2020s will have the new box. I have a late 07/20 build and I know it has the old box without even checking underneath lol.

Redrockjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
From what I read in a different thread (can't find the thread), some one said none of the 2020s will have the new box. I have a late 07/20 build and I know it has the old box without even checking underneath lol.
That is correct all 2020s have the old box

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Count on Fiat to not step up and recall. its good they are starting to fix this mess.

ABart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
Occupation
janitor
i would think a recall would happen. Think about how much documentation of the problem is on the web and forums like these. Them making a change shows they acknowledged the issue. It would actually be a larger lawsuit the longer they wait i think.
Sponsored