Sponsored

Who is using the PAC interface on a 7" successfully?

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392. Was '20 Rubicon, '17 Rubicon
We did not opt for the larger screen/Alpine stereo in our Recon. I knew I'd want to upgrade. The most logical choice for now is to stay with the 7" head unit, and use the PAC interface to add a few amps and upgrade the speakers.

I have read of some folks getting hums/buzz feedback when they use the PAC interface. I think those folks are also using the larger 8.4" screen.

I wanted to check and see if any 7" users have had success (or issues) using the PAC interface. Likely using a couple of good quality Zapco amplifiers. I know how to ground electronics, and separate power and signal wires to reduce the risk of any interference.

Please let me know if you've had successes (or failures) with the PAC unit.
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Success here - a very tiny bit of a hum but could be my ground, could be power wire interfering with RCA’s, could be anything. I lowered the gain on my amp and it’s almost gone. Now I can only here it when the engine isn’t running.

If I did it again I would have paid the extra money for the JL Audio Fix86 because the AmpPro is easy to add aftermarket amps but tuning the full sound is not great and the sound seems flat compared to other installs I have had in my previous JK wranglers with aftermarket head units.

However, sounds a lot better than the stock system, and there is a lot more depth in the sound now.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
No hum, distortion, no issues at all.
I will mention this.... I ran Power through the driver side, under the carpet below the driver seat. Then I ran it up through the carpet under the back seat. I hit the distributor at that point, amp under passenger front seat, amp in the back.
RCA’s, speaker cable, everything else ran down the passenger side.
I made sure to scrape as much paint as possible when grounding amps as well. I think metal on metal makes a difference. Maybe, maybe not ... but I’ll say this... Once I powered up, true sound, a little thump, screaming mids and highs.
Stock 7”, PAC AMP, 3-way components in the front, 6.5”, 2.5” and tweeters up front. 6.5”s in the soundbar. I ran all new speaker wire as well.
I have zero complaints. I’d lose my mind if there was a constant hum.

debandi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep Rubicon
I'm using it for my 8.4" factory Alpine upgraded system. Works perfect running a Alpine R-A60F amp driving 2 sets of Alpine R-S65C.2 speakers with the SSV works JJT and Metra JP-1014 speaker pods. A couple of observations. (Observation # 1) I did not use the blue wire to trigger the power to the amp. I did a fuse tap to the heated seat fuse at the fuse box. My proximity key keeps the data bus active and was keeping the amp on. Fuse tap took care of that. Observation #2 make sure that when you hide the module up behind the glove box that it is not touching your heater core. The heater core gets very hot.

Lscardsfan

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
We did not opt for the larger screen/Alpine stereo in our Recon. I knew I'd want to upgrade. The most logical choice for now is to stay with the 7" head unit, and use the PAC interface to add a few amps and upgrade the speakers.

I have read of some folks getting hums/buzz feedback when they use the PAC interface. I think those folks are also using the larger 8.4" screen.

I wanted to check and see if any 7" users have had success (or issues) using the PAC interface. Likely using a couple of good quality Zapco amplifiers. I know how to ground electronics, and separate power and signal wires to reduce the risk of any interference.

Please let me know if you've had successes (or failures) with the PAC unit.
I am having major static issues with my pac install. Local electronics shop can’t find any issue l. All wires installed and ran correctly. Only way to minimize static/hum is to turn gain down which is not what I want. Have you done the install? Result?

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I am having major static issues with my pac install. Local electronics shop can’t find any issue l. All wires installed and ran correctly. Only way to minimize static/hum is to turn gain down which is not what I want. Have you done the install? Result?

In same boat. Only thing I can do to not hear the hiss and some static is to turn the music up and roll the windows down.

OP
OP

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used the fosgate DSR1 to integrate. Mine works flawlessly.

OP
OP

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct. Amps are Audiocontrol LC800.1 and LC1200.6. Focal speakers. JL 12" sub. No hum. Frankly, the weak point is the uConnect head unit. It's really not great.

sknyfats

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Willys 2 Door
No static/hum at all? Aftermarket amp and speakers?
I’ve been doing my research pretty extensively on both PAC Amp Pro & DSR1. While DSR1 may work - all indications I’ve seen show no firmware updates since 2018 and reports that Fosgate has given up on the device essentially. So it may “work” - but the PAC Amp Pro AP4-CH41 R2 seems to be the reliable go to for most. Many reports/claims that DSR1 is problematic and the other device is reliable. I’ll be going with the PAC Amp Pro myself when my guy has it in stock. I’ll be sure to be mindful of my wire routing, grounds and settings on the device to minimize the chance of getting the hiss some have reported. I have a 20 JL 2 door with 7” base radio and will be starting off with the Alpine KTP-445U to power the speakers and adding a sub on later.

Sponsored

Lscardsfan

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I’ve been doing my research pretty extensively on both PAC Amp Pro & DSR1. While DSR1 may work - all indications I’ve seen show no firmware updates since 2018 and reports that Fosgate has given up on the device essentially. So it may “work” - but the PAC Amp Pro AP4-CH41 R2 seems to be the reliable go to for most. Many reports/claims that DSR1 is problematic and the other device is reliable. I’ll be going with the PAC Amp Pro myself when my guy has it in stock. I’ll be sure to be mindful of my wire routing, grounds and settings on the device to minimize the chance of getting the hiss some have reported. I have a 20 JL 2 door with 7” base radio and will be starting off with the Alpine KTP-445U to power the speakers and adding a sub on later.
Been through 3 pac units all with static/hum. Trying fix 86 now

OP
OP

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

It would be great to know more about 'your research'. At least on the Jeeps, there have been many, many complaints of the PAC harness causing a super annoying hum. I haven't read anything about a DSR1 causing a Hum.

The DSR1 has a DSP built in it. Honestly, it's not even a fair comparison because of this feature alone. I can configure and tune it real time from my phone via bluetooth. Does the PAC do that?

The JL FIX unit is a great option. That is also better than the PAC.

Your setup would benfit greatly from the use of a DSP. You don't really know what you're missing until you try a DSP. Time alignment, staging, and configuration are awesome. It helps get the most out of your hardware.

OF the JL, PAC, and DSR1 - I would call the PAC #3 in the list - hardly the top choice. Happy to debate of course - but let's use real data and customer feedback.

sknyfats

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would be great to know more about 'your research'. At least on the Jeeps, there have been many, many complaints of the PAC harness causing a super annoying hum. I haven't read anything about a DSR1 causing a Hum.

The DSR1 has a DSP built in it. Honestly, it's not even a fair comparison because of this feature alone. I can configure and tune it real time from my phone via bluetooth. Does the PAC do that?

Your setup would benfit greatly from the use of a DSP. You don't really know what you're missing until you try a DSP. Time alignment, staging, and configuration are awesome. It helps get the most out of your hardware.

OF the JL, PAC, and DSR1 - I would call the PAC #3 in the list - hardly the top choice. Happy to debate of course - but let's use real data and customer feedback.
This forums has plenty examples of people using the pac amp pro with no issue. I think there have been, what, 3 maybe 4 mentions of static - one that got it fully resolved after following someone else’s guidance.
You can also google and find plenty of discussion about both units, do the same on YouTube - and, I’ve talked to several audio shops. Not one shop has recommended the DSR1 and 2 actually told me it was junk this week and riddled with problems.
No need to get defensive. Like I said - I have no personal experience with either, but have been doing a ton of research before I make my purchase. Glad yours works for you.

sknyfats

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Also, the DSR1 IS a DSP. The PAC Amp Pro isn’t. They’re two very different devices. I have no need or desire for a DSP on a 2 door convertible with a soft top that rarely has doors and top on - especially with the Wranglers sound bar design. “Maybe” in a JLU hard top I’d consider it.
The factors affecting the PAC Amp Pro are not just “gain”, but can be a combination of settings on the unit, ground, power wire, and speaker wire location - and, yes, gain too. Ensuring the firmware is current is important too. There are a few threads that address the issue and, at least one of the 3-4 people that had the hiss resolved it. Reaching out to the vendor - not the shop that installed it - might help too.

Lscardsfan

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I cannot get the PAC to work without static/hum.

power is ran on drivers side, ground is to factory ground location, speaker wire is away from power, rcas are passenger side.

static is less when gain turned down. When using multimeter and setting gain to appropriate rms (for my 6.5’s that are 100 watts rms) I am sending only 60 watts and the static is insane.

spoke with pac on the phone, tried 3 different ones, had local shop debug install with different rca’s and other wires with no luck.

it appears for me it is the head unit sending a noisy signal out and my amp intensifying that noise via gain. I didn’t spend $1600 to be at low gain!
I hope the JL audio fix 86 will clean the head unit signal and correct my issue.
Sponsored