Control Arms - Metalcloak or Teraflex IR

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Just installed a full set of MC arms with my Gamechanger lift. I gotta say that I'm not at all in the slightest worry that the jamb nuts will come loose. These things are hella stout, so again, not at all worried that the slightly smaller diameter will be an issue, and that coupled with the bends in them will help with clearing my 5 in backspaced wheels. I didn't want to have grease them, so its a plus that they're maintenance free. I am also impressed by their on-road manners. Indeed, I feel like their Duroflex joints actually transmit even less NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) than stock. The gold zinc may not stay shiny and new looking when exposed salted roads, but will keep the corrosion out. If you don't like the color, paint them to make them look more stock like.

OK, I'm starting to sound like a MC fanboy, but I just think they're the best around...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just installed a full set of MC arms with my Gamechanger lift. I gotta say that I'm not at all in the slightest worry that the jamb nuts will come loose. These things are hella stout, so again, not at all worried that the slightly smaller diameter will be an issue, and that coupled with the bends in them will help with clearing my 5 in backspaced wheels. I didn't want to have grease them, so its a plus that they're maintenance free. I am also impressed by their on-road manners. Indeed, I feel like their Duroflex joints actually transmit even less NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) than stock. The gold zinc may not stay shiny and new looking when exposed salted roads, but will keep the corrosion out. If you don't like the color, paint them to make them look more stock like.

OK, I'm starting to sound like a MC fanboy, but I just think they're the best around...
haha! that's okay. Fanboy away! I feel like everyone that has MC fanboys really hard over them. I partially just trying to understand if they are actually THAT good.

I don't want it be like the synergy stuff I previously ordered... products come with mediocre finish and scratched. When you tighten pinch bolts, the powder coating cracked and started peeling off. The torque spec on the pinch bolts never kept the joint tight so I had to over tighten. All of the bolts started corroding before even experiencing an actual winter. Multiple clearance issues that were no described in the product descriptions. And post purchase, horrible customer service. ha. and this is with everyone saying they are top tier products and better than mass produced brands.

Now I'm starting over and just want top tier products. I replaced my entire Synergy steering system with Steer Smarts and IT is truly a top tier product that is worth every penny. As soon as I opened the box, it was easy to understand why it costs the mosts. I think at least.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thanks! good info! on vehicle adjustment isn't really too big of a concern to me. I could be wrong but control arms aren't usually something you need to adjust after the initial setup. Is that correct thinking?

and I looked hard at RK. There is a couple features with them that I think just aren't right for my setup. but definitely a great product.

regarding the steering stops, I mostly just didn't want to adjust if I don't have to. I know I can but don't want to. Especially if there are options on the market that will allow full turns at the factory stop. But good idea if I want to run something else.
Yes, once you get them set they are left alone. The on vehicle adjustment is just nice for the initial setup depending on your mindset.

If you set them to a fixed length, call it good, and torque it all up it doesn't matter.

If you put them on set to some length, drive for a bit, tweak length a bit, pretend it makes a difference and fart around a bit more, etc, etc, the on vehicle is nice.

You don't want to have to be torquing the front LCA's often unless you have a lift ;)

I also dislike TF stuff as a lot of it is made in China crap, and they lie about it. This may or may not matter to you.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So, I noticed the smaller profile tubing of the Metalcloak and wondered if that allowed more clearance. I have spoke with people running both and I've been told they will clear 4.5" of backspacing. I had the synergy lower front arms and they definitely had clearance issues at full turn that I don't have with even the stock arms. I was told rock krawler and the synergy both have upward bends to allow increased ground clearance. I believe that MC and Terafex both bend inward to allow tire clearance. but the tube diameter could come into play. This is all on research and haven't actually seen each.

Do you think the gold zinc will hold up to salt? Or do all parts just look like rusty crap after a few years? As I type that, i'm realizing the factory parts don't even hold up to the salt very well. Makes me wonder if the zinc will actually hold up better. Hmmm.
Metalcloak uses solid bar rather than tubing, so that just adds to clearance with nearby parts and tires at full turn. I just recently got their front track bar to replace my SteerSmarts one, because the SS is contacting my arb front diff cover due to its large diameter.

I've seen litebrites undercloak belly pans on numerous occasions. They've been dragged to heel and back and in all climates. I've never seen any appreciable amount of rust.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I could be wrong but control arms aren't usually something you need to adjust after the initial setup. Is that correct thinking?
Yes, once it's dialed in it only requires the occasional torque check. Unless you alter lift height.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Agree, not a big deal. wouldn't rule them out because of it.

since you have ran both, although different platforms, how would you compare quality and on-road manners? About the same?
I'm running mostly Teraflex on this build. Similar experience so far. No complaints.

Like I said, you aren't going wrong with either. For that matter the opinions on Synergy and RK are good too. All all top shelf manufacturers.

You always gonna have fan boys for different brands and even haters.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Yes, once you get them set they are left alone. The on vehicle adjustment is just nice for the initial setup depending on your mindset.

If you set them to a fixed length, call it good, and torque it all up it doesn't matter.

If you put them on set to some length, drive for a bit, tweak length a bit, pretend it makes a difference and fart around a bit more, etc, etc, the on vehicle is nice.

You don't want to have to be torquing the front LCA's often unless you have a lift ;)

I also dislike TF stuff as a lot of it is made in China crap, and they lie about it. This may or may not matter to you.
Did you have a bad experience with a China crap Teraflex part? I don't know about China crap Teraflex but can say that I've been buying and using Teraflex parts for my Wranglers for over 20 years without issue. You don't build a business and last for well over 20 years making crap. That's just my opinion and experience.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
haha! that's okay. Fanboy away! I feel like everyone that has MC fanboys really hard over them. I partially just trying to understand if they are actually THAT good.

I don't want it be like the synergy stuff I previously ordered... products come with mediocre finish and scratched. When you tighten pinch bolts, the powder coating cracked and started peeling off. The torque spec on the pinch bolts never kept the joint tight so I had to over tighten. All of the bolts started corroding before even experiencing an actual winter. Multiple clearance issues that were no described in the product descriptions. And post purchase, horrible customer service. ha. and this is with everyone saying they are top tier products and better than mass produced brands.

Now I'm starting over and just want top tier products. I replaced my entire Synergy steering system with Steer Smarts and IT is truly a top tier product that is worth every penny. As soon as I opened the box, it was easy to understand why it costs the mosts. I think at least.
I haven't had any issues with my Synergy parts (8 control arms, rear track bar, rear axle TB relocation bracket, and rear TB chassis reinforcement), but only got them to complete the Dynatrac lift. Otherwise, I wouldn't have them because I'm now running a 3.5" Gamechanger minus control arms and track bars. I'm way past kicking myself for not going that route the first time around, but will eventually switch out to the golden arms before rebuilding what i have.

Hands down, Metalcloak has been the best company to deal with. Their customer service is second to none.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Did you have a bad experience with a China crap Teraflex part? I don't know about China crap Teraflex but can say that I've been buying and using Teraflex parts for my Wranglers for over 20 years without issue. You don't build a business and last for well over 20 years making crap. That's just my opinion and experience.
Yes. I've had a coil spring fail, shocks blow seals multiple times, and several bolts fail in abnormal ways (eg: cheap shit hardware). They just send you replacement parts.

It is well known fact on "the other forum that shall not be named" that several years ago TF changed direction from being a US based manufacture, like Synergy, RK, and MC, to selling made in China parts.

Sure they employee Americans to design, answer the support line, and take your order but that's about it. If they openly stated made in China and the stuff was priced like China built stuff it would be ok, but the dishonest part is they (looking at you Dennis) waive the American flag and say American based. This is an outright lie but an obvious decision as the Jeep market is quite patriotic and willing to pay a premium for parts made here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Metalcloak uses solid bar rather than tubing, so that just adds to clearance with nearby parts and tires at full turn. I just recently got their front track bar to replace my SteerSmarts one, because the SS is contacting my arb front diff cover due to its large diameter.

I've seen litebrites undercloak belly pans on numerous occasions. They've been dragged to heel and back and in all climates. I've never seen any appreciable amount of rust.
side question... how are you liking the MC track bar? I'm debating one for a couple reasons. for one, the clamps on the steer smarts yeti bar are contacting my FAD skid. Second, there is a slight bit of movement in the rubber yeti bushings and i continue to have death wobble crap.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
nice for the initial setup depending on your mindset.
Mindset is key hahaha. Mine have been loosened, adjusted, taken off, readjusted, tightened some more, re adjust again. I have a problem...

drtrdr85

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I also agree with the MC gamachanger. I have mine and love them. I also have the paint marks and just check the jam nuts to make sure they haven't loosened. Super happy with them. Just my 2cents.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I am perfectly happy with the Teraflex IR arms (all 8) and would buy again if starting over. The clamps work great and allow for a 'no-bind' fit during install: Adjust the arms to the proper length, install both ends and snug, then loosen the clamps to remove any bind from the ends not being perfectly aligned with the mounting brackets and torque everything to spec. Both are great products, I just favor the Teraflex IR design. But, to each his own...