Sponsored

Why are the 2021's rated at higher mpg's than the 2020 model?

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
This question is specific to the JLU Sport family equipped w/2.0L . The 2020 was rated at 21/22 mpg's but the 2021 units showing up on the lots with same spec's are showing 21/24. If this has been covered my apologies. Thanks

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If past behavior is a predictor of future behavior, I wouldn’t be surprised if FCA fudged the numbers to avoid paying CAFE fines.

Automakers do their own testing and submit their numbers to the EPA. The EPA doesn’t really test anything; they conduct random checks to verify automakers’ numbers.

FCA will likely get caught cheating in another year or two, and get slapped hefty fines.

But at that point, it will be PSA’s problem.

Last edited:

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Also makes it easier to swerve and avoid marmots.

On a related note, we did a road trip to Carmel on Friday and I was about 3' away from a deer strike on a backroad. Had to take a bit of evasive action to miss it. Bambi lives to see another day...

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
You joke.... but I remember my grandfather saying basically the same thing once when I was in high school. Even stupid kid me knew that made zero sense.

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Also makes it easier to swerve and avoid marmots.
Haha of all the aminals - you choose marmots!! Haha they are ultra cute tho.

Hahaha - you are NUTS tex :LOL:

For my reasoning - I think they did something to the damn ESS system - you know like making it ESS 2.0 Engine Sudden-Stop-Suckier-Start® (ES2S2) version. The quicker it shuts down your engine and the longer it takes to restart you will save some mileage. Okay I am talking nonsense - but it definitely must have something to do with that damn ESS system. God save the marmots!!!

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
On a 2.0 FB group I joined the 2.0 owners regularly report more mpg than it was initially rated. Perhaps they’ve done more testing and have verified that’s the case. I regularly get 26-27 mpg at 70 mph.

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I do not do anything near that with my Rubicon 2.0, perhaps the added weight of the Rubicon decreases the mileage. Not sure how much lighter the Sahara is that a Rubicon, additionally I have the steel bumpers as well and I am sure those are not light.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
On a 2.0 FB group I joined the 2.0 owners regularly report more mpg than it was initially rated. Perhaps they’ve done more testing and have verified that’s the case. I regularly get 26-27 mpg at 70 mph.
That is incredibly impressive given that you have also added rubi takeoff suspension. An actual Highway range of well over 550 miles is terrific! Congrats!

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That is incredibly impressive given that you have also added rubi takeoff suspension. An actual Highway range of well over 550 miles is terrific! Congrats!
I agree. Takeoff suspension here and now an aftermarket bumper and winch. I think I’m about .5mpg down so far. I’ll be going 33’s and I think that’s going to be the most considerable drag on fuel economy.

I’m aware ours is not calculated mileage though. I’m not sure how far off the worst calculated mpg has differed from the onboard display. Calculated or not, if we’re all using the same tool to measure, it should be good for comparing efficiency amongst each other. My highest average ever has shown 26.9mpg. Some claim higher.

Last edited:

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
I agree. Takeoff suspension here and now an aftermarket bumper and winch. I think I’m about .5mpg down so far. I’ll be going 33’s and I think that’s going to be the most considerable drag on fuel economy.

I’m aware ours not calculated mileage though. I’m not sure how far off the worst calculated mpg has differed from the onboard display. Calculated or not, if we’re all using the same tool to measure, it should be good for comparing efficiency amongst each other. My highest average ever has shown 26.9mpg. Some claim higher.
You have a Sahara? Going up one inch in tire size makes that much difference?

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR