Sponsored

Premium Soft Top vs Regular: Worth the $ Difference?

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Just the material. Twill versus Vinyl.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The Basic Vinyl Soft top comes with the vehicle.

If you upgrade to the Premium twill in black it will, for example

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/4-door-6-4-20-pdf.328859/

have a wholesale value over the Vinyl of $536.

FCA sees this transaction of upgrading from the Vinyl top to something (anything) else as you giving back the Vinyl top that comes with the rig to use on another owner's build to which your given a credit in the form of the this additional upgrade cost I quote.

The Premium top also comes in a Tan color and is seen by FCA as worth $716 more than the basic (black) soft top at wholesale.

Remember that if you with go with a soft top only (premium or basic) you will not get built into the rig the steering wheel stem for rear wipers, defoggers, or windshield fluid and the cabling for those things.

People claim different things about each soft top's level of quiet and the look of each.

This goes beyond your question but I'll include it because sometimes people don't have enough background to ask the right questions.

Some people go with the Hard Top and replace the Freedom Panels in front with a Bestop Sunrider product. It opens to expose the front seats to they sky while the soft top exposes the back seats too and more, but the Hard Top/Bestop Sunrider option is cheaper than Dual Tops.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As already mentioned, the premium top is fabric; base is vinyl.

Fabric is supposed to absorb noise better, to breathe better, and to look and feel more expensive.

Sponsored

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
What exactly is the difference?
Purchased the premium soft top several years ago for my 2014 Sahara and my 2017 Big Bear had it standard. The twill fabric, IMO, is way better than the standard vinyl if you can drop the extra bucks. The black twill is a deeper black and holds up great over time. Unless they've changed the quality of the top since then you can't go wrong. Here's my 2017 with premium soft top.

IMG_0415.JPG

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Is it true that the Twill premium shrinks and stretches less than the vinyl , making cool weather "top down" less of a struggle to get up and latched ?

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I prefer the standard soft top over the "premium." Inbmy option it looks better. It is actually rather quiet and noticed no difference in heating and cooling bs a hard top.

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
Is it true that the Twill premium shrinks and stretches less than the vinyl , making cool weather "top down" less of a struggle to get up and latched ?
I never felt that the twill shrunk causing difficulty in raising and lowering the top. I can't recommend it more if you can swing it.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
What exactly is the difference?
Search for for soft top issues. All the posts about rips and worn spots are with standard. Premium is worth it.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I don't think I've seen a single JL with the vinyl material top. They've all been the fabric.

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
I have one of each. They were built a month apart so the same age. The twill is much more black, quieter (though not a lot) and overall just nicer. When the vinyl is worn out it will be replaced by a twill one.
Jeep Wrangler JL Premium Soft Top vs Regular:  Worth the $ Difference? FD9E1BEC-19B2-4E5A-9873-78D644E02A59
Jeep Wrangler JL Premium Soft Top vs Regular:  Worth the $ Difference? F71DE677-AE8C-4566-876F-A02E4AFF9DE2

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
The Jeep website mentions 3 soft tops in tan: Standard, Premium, then another Premium that is $200 than the black premium. What is the difference?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Premium for suckers...? :LOL:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Premium for suckers...? :LOL:
So you’re saying that @JHTS , the only poster to this thread who has no confirmation bias (because he owns both tops), is a sucker? Alrighty, then...
Sponsored