Sponsored

Racor Hoist System

geauxtigers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon Recon
Hey guys! I ran across this thread while looking into hoist kits for my hardtop. My last Jeep was 20 years ago with a soft top, so this is my first time having to consider a hoist. Do you guys think this is the best option available? I was given a brand new Pittsburgh power hoist but haven’t purchased or fabricated any way to attach it to my top yet. The Racor/Topsy system seems like it may be a better option though

Ingrum

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport; 2018 Jaguar F Pace
I installed mine this weekend. I have not used it to take off the top yet because of rain. But, I put some heavy stuff on it as a test.

I would say it's pretty easy to install. Not quick, just complicated. There's a good amount of "play" in the components to make for an easy installation. Instructions are fairly straight forward.

On the operation side, I have not hooked up a drill to it yet. But the mechanism operates solid. Not a ton of moving parts.

It essentially installed and operates exactly like I thought it would and should. Would love a rolling rack, but this is perfect for the price.

Ingrum

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone installed this system with the hoisting mechanism to the side instead of the back? Seems like it would work fine.

I'm finding that the spare gets in the way of efficiently twirling the bar and I also cannot have the back window open and twirl the bar. Mine has to fit too close to the wall to open then tailgate and then open the rear window.

BenjNoah

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara, 2015 Acura MDX
Those topsy hooks, do they stay on the top permanently? Or do you just put them on to take the top off?

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone installed this system with the hoisting mechanism to the side instead of the back? Seems like it would work fine.

I'm finding that the spare gets in the way of efficiently twirling the bar and I also cannot have the back window open and twirl the bar. Mine has to fit too close to the wall to open then tailgate and then open the rear window.
Mine is on the side.

Ingrum

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
I didn’t have enough room to really maneuver around they Jeep when pulling or putting on the top or around the top when it was up in the air. So, I moved my hoist diagonally 15 inches. That meant I had to use 2x4s because I was not directly on the studs. I also moved the hoist mechanism to the side so I wasn’t fighting with the spare. Works great now. Very pleased, although the Type A in me wishes it alighted with the light.

D0484203-20F4-4100-81EC-4067165F43B2.jpeg

F1519269-2518-4A9B-9B49-EA6F23B1A522.jpeg

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
@Ingrum can you tell me if your hoist is up as high as it will go and then roughly the distance from garage roof to the top of your JL roof?
Jeep Wrangler JL Racor Hoist System F6502E88-1CB2-4BDA-BE08-BC28B45EB016
I know you asked ingrum, but recently measured for a friend ...

ceiling to bottom of top is 48” for me. Looking at pic, I could raise another 4“ish. So,
~ 44”
From ceiling to bottom of hard top.

EB7EF10D-10E6-4DB9-8AFB-00083E98171B.jpeg

Ingrum

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Rain today so I had to put my top back on. So will measure when it comes off. But, it's as high as it will go because I don't want the ties to go into the anchor wheel on the corners of the hoist.

As an aside, when I put the top back on today it operated just like I thought it would - I got it pretty close backing it in and was able to easily manipulate it here or there to drop it into place. Very easy to put it back on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Racor Hoist System 1598757249535
Sponsored