My Half Door Project

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
As soon as I saw a JKU with half doors I knew I wanted a pair for my '14 JKUR but the price was too steep for 4 Mopar 1/2 doors and uppers and I had my eye on a new '18 JLUS anyway so I didn't want to spend the time on new doors just to sell the jeep.

Enter 2018, bought new Ocean Blue JLUS and Backbone deck then waited for someone to come out with half doors. JCR was first to market and I bought the rear doors in Spring of '19 and had MAACO paint them for about $450. I loved them, loved the look, and loved the openness. No rattle, a lot of fun, and some protection from mud and rain on the trails.

2020, bought the front door pair had them painted and again, love them. No rattle, some protection, feels great to rest my arm on the door, jeep feels unique and somehow feels a lot more fun. But.....I was always worried about rain and soft uppers were needed but none were available on the market and I was tired of waiting so I bought the Bestop soft uppers for the front hoping they would fit the doors but the JCR doors were about 1" higher than the Bestop soft lowers so the windows were a bit big. I took the internal soft upper frames to a welding shop and for $60 had the frame shortened by 1 1/2" and the window fits OK, not great but serves my purpose, protect me and the jeep in the case of a big rain and I can keep the uppers in the back. I can drive about 60mph without too much flapping but I would never drive for more than an hour with the uppers installed (not designed for that). *** If you look closely you can see that the upper is still a bit big on the rear, I'm working on adjusting them and if I can't get them right I'll take them with the lowers, when I get them, back to the weld shop and shorten the rear by another 1".

Anyway, here are some pics. If you are looking for solid, paint matching lowers and soft uppers there is a solution out there if you do some work. I have the uppers for the rear on order and will post to this thread when they arrive. Hopefully I don't have to shorten them, we'll see.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Half Door Project Door1
Jeep Wrangler JL My Half Door Project Door8
Jeep Wrangler JL My Half Door Project IMG-7582
Jeep Wrangler JL My Half Door Project IMG-7583
Jeep Wrangler JL My Half Door Project IMG-7584
Jeep Wrangler JL My Half Door Project Jeep w half doors 2
Sponsored

RobP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Rubicon & '22 JLUR XR
The doors look great. It's crazy that Mopar hasn't released factory half doors. I had them on my JKR and from the outside they look very similar to your JCRs. Perfect height to rest your arm! I would have bought factory doors if they were available but went went with EAG safari style tube doors for now.
Good luck getting the Bestop uppers to fit, it seems like they'll at least help keep most of the rain out, if not there's always the drain plugs!

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Always teased, never produced

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Very cool project! I too think the half door height is the perfect spot to rest your arm.

Sponsored

Kings5jk

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlu
Occupation
Business owner
Vehicle Showcase
Tell us more.....
We actually wanted to do this for some time but couldn’t find some junk yard doors so we hooked up with a Mopar parts place and got new doors for a great price. As soon as they got into my hands we mounted them I knew what lines I wanted to go with and made my marks. Cut the door and welded up some aluminum to have a comfortable spot to rest your arm not like actual Mopar half doors they come more to a narrow top. We are getting them wrapped to match the Jeep build and putting all stock Mopar door hardware back and it should be ready to go. Getting ready for Jeep invasion In Tennessee that’s where she will probably use them for the first time.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The half doors absolutely transform the look of the JLU ! Love it ,,make a bulkhead, and you have a Scrambler Roadster Pickup!
Now that the Bronco is coming, Jeep will start paying attention, and deliver what we want and need.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I wouldn't count your chickens. Just because the Bronco is coming out Jeep might just stay the course :(.